FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dinosaur Bone Pastrami -- Money Shot PICS!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rojellio Es Caliente
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 03 10 2:34 am    Post subject: Dinosaur Bone Pastrami -- Money Shot PICS!! Reply with quote

I teased everyone a week ago with a "whats he curing" poll... YES I am doing Pastrami with that Cut of Meat!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As well as a more common Pastrami cut, plain old Brisket.

A couple months ago I had a blinding flash of the obvious.... Which cut of Beef would make the most awesome Pastrami... The Un-Sawed Off Short Rib.

Sams Club misidentified their Ribs, with fabulous overpricing. Rolling Eyes Its not the Rib with a Prime attached to it... its an {expletive deleted} Short Rib. A year ago, they cost about the same as Pork Ribs... and definitly NOT more than Bottom Round Roast. $3.65 or somesuch per lb in the cryo. Thats $88 for a 4 rack cryo. {IF you have them split a couple racks out of the cryo, they want $5 per lb!!!!!!!} If it came with a tbsp of the medicinal spice they are smoking.... maybe. So I asked how much without the bag of special spice..

Albertsons had them for $3.49, and they were 2 rack cryos. Not quite as meaty as the fabulously priced Dinos at Sams.... but $26 had me sold.

Heres the Rub. I used about 1 cup per side + appropriate measure of TenderQuick. Setting aside 2 tbsp of TQ, dissolving in 1 cup water and injecting into the center of the meat.... then adding remaining 1/2 cup of TQ water in the vac bag with the meat.

Here it is before rinsing... The white bits are mostly Garlic Flake.

My Nuclear Option Soak... About 1 cup instant potato. put half in the bottom, put the meat in and sprinkle the other half on top. Drain and rinse after 30 minutes, and repeat. after 2 nuclear de-osmosis cycles, rinse pat dry slather and rub.

For Finish, I used about 1 1/2 cups + 4 TBSP ground pepper. I slathered it with a mix of Olive Oil, honey and splash of balsamic before rubbing.

Here it is in the Smoker. Along with some Pork Back Ribs.

[/img]

Last edited by Rojellio Es Caliente on Mon May 03 10 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 03 10 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man Rojellio i cant wait to see the end results of this one i might have to give it a try
Rojellio Es Caliente
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 03 10 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It tasted awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thick, juicy and tender Pastrami on a stick.
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 03 10 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep this is a must try!!!!! thanks for the share Very Happy
day_trippr
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 03 10 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Holy cow with handles, Batman!" Shocked
Those ribs truly look amazing, Rojellio! That's one experiment that obviously came out awesome! Great job! Very Happy

Cheers!
Uncle John
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 03 10 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

day_trippr wrote:
"Holy cow with handles, Batman!" Shocked
Those ribs truly look amazing, Rojellio! That's one experiment that obviously came out awesome! Great job! Very Happy

Cheers!

My thoughts exactly. If it tastes as good as it looks, you're really on to something there.
Discada
Rojellio Es Caliente
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 04 10 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I might do differently, is lighten up with the garlic on the finish.... I used the same rub, and added hand crushed {with mortar & pestle} black pepper to it. SO... I just need to make a separate rub for the finish. Rather than having one rub for everything.

PLENTY of Garlic got into the meat with the cure. The Garlic Flake from the bulk spices at our local boutique health food grocery is awesome and potent stuff.

The Rub sticking on is the stuff that stayed on after a good thump to shake some off.

I put the Pastrami in at about 9:00 at about 170F, then at 11:00 I bumped the temp up to 225 when I put the Pork ribs in. At about 12:30 the Point was 155F I pulled it, rested and sliced some off hoping to use it as Bacon for ABTs. There wasnt quite enough fat to use it that way... and it may have been more feasible at a 140'ish pull temp... Wink I am not giving up on that idea... but its a next time around thing, and maybe less fat trimmed off the point when I try again. So I put the point back in the smoker. Around 3:30 the Pastrami And Short Rib Pastrami was all around 180F, the BBs were at 170. I shut the Treager off, giving meat sort of a pre-rest... when the cooking chamber cooled to just under 100F {15-20 min} about the time it stopped smoking, I pulled the met and rested it under foil for another 15 min.

There was other food... My first attempt at Moms Style Potato Salad... which Mom approved of.. Some corn bread stuffing, and some kind of Fruit salad.
KulinaryKila
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 04 10 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that looks great. Awesome simply awesome!!!!!
Rojellio Es Caliente
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 05 10 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killswitch, Kila, Tripper & Unle John Thanks for the compliments.

These are definitely a must try.
bigjoe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 06 10 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA!!!!!!! I knew I saw Pastrami and Rojellio Es Caliente in the same post before... Wink Man that looks goooood! Gonna have to try it before Summer is over. Cool
WesTexBBQ

PostPosted: Thu May 06 10 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that is awesome!!! I have been wanting to make pastrami soon, so I think I will have to experiment with the ribs, too!
CharBroil Silver Smoker
Plow Disc Fire Pit w/ Grill Grate & DO Hook
Assortment of Cast Iron DO's & Skillets
Rojellio Es Caliente
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 06 10 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WesTexBBQ wrote:
Man, that is awesome!!! I have been wanting to make pastrami soon, so I think I will have to experiment with the ribs, too!

Doing both the Dino Bone & Traditional Brisket Pastrami's at the same time leaves more of the brisket Pastrami to slice up for later Wink Also leftover Dino Bone Pastrami makes better leftovers than regular Dino Bones just separate the meat from the bone and slice it up.

As for the 1/8" thick ungodly membrane, its easier to remove after they cook for a couple hours. I didnt bother with it, but i did needle through it, and between the bones to allow penetration of cure into meat. {"Needling" is what its called when you stomp it with a Jacquard tenderizer thingie}
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: