FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Side dishes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bailey Q

PostPosted: Mon May 03 10 1:12 am    Post subject: Side dishes Reply with quote

I am going to try to do some competitions and vend as well. I have seen some recipes on one forum or another for non-mayo based cole slaw. My question is: are mayo based foods (cole slaw/ potato salad) allowed for vending? I was assuming that as long as temperature requirements were met, they would be OK, but I am new at this so tell me your thoughts.

Next: does anyone use tabletop kitchen roasters to keep foods warm? If so, what are the positives and negatives?

Q
kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 03 10 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Side dishes Reply with quote

Bailey Q wrote:
I am going to try to do some competitions and vend as well. I have seen some recipes on one forum or another for non-mayo based cole slaw. My question is: are mayo based foods (cole slaw/ potato salad) allowed for vending? I was assuming that as long as temperature requirements were met, they would be OK, but I am new at this so tell me your thoughts.

Next: does anyone use tabletop kitchen roasters to keep foods warm? If so, what are the positives and negatives?

Q

In Minnesota if they are NSF you can use them, so no you can't use them in Mn

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
Jeff Hughes
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 03 10 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Side dishes Reply with quote

Bailey Q wrote:

Q

The problem with slaw and potato salad for vending is the cost of packaging.

The cost of packaging individual servings can be almost equal to your food cost.
Weber 22" Kettle
Bailey Q

PostPosted: Mon May 03 10 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to scoop the product out of the plastic container onto the serving plates. No serving size containers.
Jeff Hughes
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 03 10 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bailey Q wrote:
I was going to scoop the product out of the plastic container onto the serving plates. No serving size containers.

While that works well for catering, it is time consuming in a vending situation, and you have to keep the product cold.
Weber 22" Kettle
tonyg
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 03 10 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Side dishes Reply with quote

kurtsara wrote:
Bailey Q wrote:

Q

Actually Kurt, yes you can - as long as you are only using/requesting a seasonal permit(that 3 event permit the state issues). The NSF issues come into play as soon as you start talking about a mobile vending unit or whatever they are calling it this week. Laughing I see people use them all the time when we are out vending, and we have used them many times. They work great, especially for pulled pork, turds and beans. Our ribs come off the smoker and into a 2 tier cambro.

tony

Last edited by tonyg on Mon May 03 10 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Bailey Q

PostPosted: Mon May 03 10 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What percentage of vendors scoop out servings as opposed to prepackaging them?
kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 03 10 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Side dishes Reply with quote

tonyg wrote:
kurtsara wrote:
Bailey Q wrote:

Q

Actually Kurt, yes you can - as long as you are only using/requesting a seasonal permit(that 3 event permit the state issues). The NSF issues come into play as soon as you start talking about a mobile vending unit or whatever they are calling it this week. Laughing I see people use them all the time when we are out vending, and we have used them many times. They work great, especially for pulled pork, turds and beans. Our ribs come off the smoker and into a 2 tier cambro.

tony

Good to no

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 03 10 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do mayo based but to me I feel safer using a vinegar based dressing because 1.safer if it gets a little over temp,2.some people have allergies to egg products3.cheaper to make.
kurtsara:Who do you talk to to get the three time permit?and does it still require NSF equitment?I've been offered a couple of vending gigs over there, but the NSF smoker has stopped me.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Louie3
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 03 10 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bailey Q wrote:
What percentage of vendors scoop out servings as opposed to prepackaging them?

We always dish out servings, can't see prepackaging and holding.
kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 03 10 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daddywoofdawg wrote:
You can do mayo based but to me I feel safer using a vinegar based dressing because 1.safer if it gets a little over temp,2.some people have allergies to egg products3.cheaper to make.
kurtsara:Who do you talk to to get the three time permit?and does it still require NSF equitment?I've been offered a couple of vending gigs over there, but the NSF smoker has stopped me.

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/food/license/specevent.html

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/food/license/specialeventfoodstandfactsheet.pdf

I just called the number on the sheet and they gave me the persons number for where I live to contact and that person sent me the application

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
Bailey Q

PostPosted: Mon May 03 10 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are going to try to hit 2 or 3 events to see how others do it. BBQ class is mid-May and then hopefully we can join the fun in late June/Early July.

Q
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 04 10 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bailey Q wrote:
We are going to try to hit 2 or 3 events to see how others do it. BBQ class is mid-May and then hopefully we can join the fun in late June/Early July.

Q

Most events have already picked their vendors for their events this year.You need to start sending in your apps for most in jan-feb of the year,That's what I did and am hearing back now.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Jeff Hughes
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 04 10 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southern Smoke wrote:

We always dish out servings, can't see prepackaging and holding.

In a high volume situation, prepackaging saves tons of time and makes for very smooth service...

I'd rather prepackage than pay an extra helper...
Weber 22" Kettle
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 04 10 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious, What do you mean pre-package?how do you do that and with what?I always just scoop and serve.But always interested in a new way.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Jeff Hughes
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 04 10 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The morning before the event I prepack slaw and potato salad in plastic containers. I then store them in the fridge in our trailer. When I get an order, it takes less than a minute to build a sandwich, grab the prepacked side, sack them, then grab a drink from the cooler and take the money.

I price even dollars to include tax.

I am very fast, I'm not sure you could count on an employee to pull off what I do, but for an owner operator, this is a great way to go...
Weber 22" Kettle
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 04 10 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Hughes wrote:
The morning before the event I prepack slaw and potato salad in plastic containers. I then store them in the fridge in our trailer. When I get an order, it takes less than a minute to build a sandwich, grab the prepacked side, sack them, then grab a drink from the cooler and take the money.

I am very fast, I'm not sure you could count on an employee to pull off what I do, but for an owner operator, this is a great way to go...

Do you wrap your sandwich?bag-it,or.....
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Louie3
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 04 10 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Hughes wrote:

Hey Jeff, how's it goin?
I see your point with high vol's, we don't sell a lot of individual sides, some mind you, most are included in a platter type tray, as with a "hot" side we use compartment type trays.
We put the sandwich in, scoop in usually two sides and serve. I don't use a bag unless it's a multiple order of course. We round up to the dollar too, save's time making change.
Bbq Bubba
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 04 10 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pre package my slaw and potato salad. Like Jeff said, its in the fridge ready to go and just works better as a 1 man crew.

Do you other guys just scoop out of a tray thats in the fridge?
Northern midwest director for Operation BBQ Relief
Louie3
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 05 10 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bbq Bubba wrote:
I pre package my slaw and potato salad. Like Jeff said, its in the fridge ready to go and just works better as a 1 man crew.

Do you other guys just scoop out of a tray thats in the fridge?

Hey Bubba How's biz?

To answer your question there, we used a chafer packed with ice for the slaw, (cold enough still we don't need ice)...LOL, we don't vend potato salad.
So your hungry starvin marvin customer leaves with a container of slaw, a container of potato salad, a container of beans, a container of ribs, a sandwich in a container, a fork & knife in a bag, and a can of pop.

Thats a lot of containment.. Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: