FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1st vending gig. YOUR input is needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
solanabeacher
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26 10 10:21 pm    Post subject: 1st vending gig. YOUR input is needed Reply with quote

The set up looks like this. Open house for a motorcycle shop. Weather at this point looks sunny and 78 degrees. They expect 300 + or - ppl through the door. Hours are 8 - 2 pm. I'll get here early and set up to sell pp sammies for $5, beef brisket sammies for $6, and a meal deal.........sandwich, chips, and soda for $7.50.

Big question is.................How much should I make? 30% of the expected 300 ppl turnout? I will be the only food vendor at the event. Previous years the house paid for the pig roast. This year, they are not and invited me to set up shop and sell from my trailer.
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26 10 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big of a pig did they have?was it all gone at the event?did they run out early?did they charge or give away?that will give you an Idea of how many eaters there will be.I 30% could be a bit high,I usally plan 10-12% but there bikers big eaters like to party so the numbers could be higher.if you know the pig roast numbers that will get right in the ball park.If the food was free count a 1/3 less than the numbers.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Texman
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27 10 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1st vending gig. YOUR input is needed Reply with quote

solanabeacher wrote:
Previous years the house paid for the pig roast. This year, they are not and invited me to set up shop and sell from my trailer.

This vending deal begs questions, considering the fact that the MC business had a BBQ’r that they hired to do a pig roast for free customer eating – he had a locked in profit.
Is it possible they offered this vending deal to him and he turned it down?

It might be worth your time and effort to talk to him to get some insight and historic data before you pull the trigger.

We say this from experience. We profitably vend at two MC events a year and although this may sound funny – the demographics are exceptional i.e. Dr’s, Lawyers etc, that spend money and like to eat….and drank very little.

Several years ago we were invited to a 2 day MC event, the week of a MC event with 1,500+ signed up (#’s were correct), to replace vendor(s) that canceled. We didn’t ask the right questions before pulling the trigger. Of the 3 vendors that showed up, all were new – and never returned. Later we discovered this was typical of the MC event, new vendors every year. The demographics of this MC event were more interested in drinking than eating….and yes we lost money, but it was worth the learning experience.
Bluegrass BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27 10 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with the MC crowd is that they are more interested in riding and drinking than eating. I did one for two years as the sole vendor and just made expenses each year.
solanabeacher
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29 10 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be optamistic and bring 100 buns, and enough meat to fill them with. I'll post results Monday morning.
kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29 10 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluegrass BBQ wrote:
My experience with the MC crowd is that they are more interested in riding and drinking than eating. I did one for two years as the sole vendor and just made expenses each year.

That depends on the type of motorcycle in my opinion, I ride a Goldwing and I would rather ride and eat, ok maybe eat then ride then eat some more, but some others would rather ride to a bar drink half the day away and call it a day of riding.

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
solanabeacher
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30 10 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtsara wrote:
but some others would rather ride to a bar drink half the day away and call it a day of riding.

They must be MARRIED! Wink
solanabeacher
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 03 10 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to post and let you all know this event went well for me. The turn out was less than expected, but there wasn't many ppl who were at the event and didn't eat. And with the heat and humidity, soda and water sold well also. I sold out of both my brisket and pork in the final hour. All and all, I'm happy with the results and I learned a thing or two in the process.
Louie3
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 03 10 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

solanabeacher wrote:
I wanted to post and let you all know this event went well for me. The turn out was less than expected, but there wasn't many ppl who were at the event and didn't eat. And with the heat and humidity, soda and water sold well also. I sold out of both my brisket and pork in the final hour. All and all, I'm happy with the results and I learned a thing or two in the process.

Congrats and may the next one be even better... Wink
Bestiverhad
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 04 10 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

solanabeacher wrote:

Glad to hear it worked out for ya.

Very Happy "What would you like to drink with that?" Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: