FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My new pit named "Das Schwein"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daddyman77802

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17 10 4:01 am    Post subject: My new pit named "Das Schwein" Reply with quote

Hey everyone. My pit is not only completed, but the day after we finished it, I took it to the 2010 Cuero Turkeyfest Spring IBCA Cook-off. I spent several hours seasoning it before throwing my meat on, but man it cooks good. Once you get it up to temperature, it holds at a steady 240 - 250 with one log per hour. Our first showing brought in 1st place chicken, 5th place brisket, and 8th place turkey. I was very happy.

I do not know how to post photos yet, but you can visit my facebook page and see the pit as well as the entries at the cook-off.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Daddymans-Flamin-BBQ/116149471731141?ref=ts
day_trippr
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17 10 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, Daddyman77802, and welcome to this little corner of the 'web!

Congrats on your competition results! Sounds like you kicked some tail! Very Happy

"Das Schwein" looks like it could use a couple of mods to help it breath better. If you haven't seen it yet, you should take a look at the Pit Building Calculator at http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20871. I bet if you plugged in the critical dimensions of your pit, it would suggest a larger firebox air intake and a taller stack. Together, I bet they'd greatly improve your pit performance!

Cheers!
BluzQue
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17 10 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Daddyman77802 Very Happy
That's a right nice lookin' cooker you got there!
Lookin' forward to your posts & pics of your cooks.

Cool

GOOD MUSIC GOOD FOOD GOOD BEER GREAT FRIENDS

OLE BOY OFFSET SMOKER
WEBER PERFORMER GRILL
WHISKEY BARREL SMOKER
Daddyman77802

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17 10 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dytripper,

Very interesting. I knew I needed more air inlet at the fire box because at the cookoff, the only way tom maintain temperature was to crack the firebox door 1/4 inch. I am sure there is some physics behind the spreadsheet. What is then rational behind it? What makes a stack that is 6 or 10 inches taller, better? Why do I need a 24x24x22 firebox? does it really make that much difference?
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17 10 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stack hieght is what makes the draw though air, the firebox size is about replacement air the fire uses up burning and room to put fuel in.It will work as you can see but it can work better.But I agree you need more firebox intake air,and a longer stack to move the air though.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17 10 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daddyman77802, congrats on your walks, your cooker looks awesome.Very Happy Very nice work indeed.Very Happy The calculator helps builders get their cookers some what balanced. The 1/3rd rule on the firebox helps the cooker maintain a constant temp without a lot of fuel usage. Having well balanced inlets and openings into the cooking chamber, as well as exhausts helps the cooker perform properly. These are just guide lines to help with a build.
I noticed in the pic you also had a fan pushing air to the firebox. If your intakes were larger and the rest of your openings balanced you might not need the fan. It looks like you have more smoke around the doors than the stack which indicates little draw on the cooker.

Hybrid Cooker
Daddyman77802

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19 10 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input guys. I had a little mishap with the pit today. a buddy and I were trying to load it onto a new trailer and somehow the pit tipped over and landed on one of the doors. It bent the hell out of one of the hinges and and broke the weld on the other. we managed to get it back upright, but now I have some repair work to do. I work the calculator again and put in actual pit diminsions. my current firebox is 20"x20"x20". According to the calculations, I need a 21"x21"x20.5", so we were not too far off on the box. As far as air inlet, the calculations show 27 sq. in which is achieved by 1: 3"x9" opening. Is it better to have one opening or can I have two 1.5" x 4.5" configured as one on each side of the fire box? The current opening is 2" x 6", so if I add on of the same size on the other side, I can adjust both for proper air flow, right? Also, the stack height by calculation on a 4.5" pipe shows a height of 28.5 inches. Since I am planning on mounting in a trailer with a roof, could I just use chimney flew material for the additional height?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: