FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bought me one of these critters

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cranky Buzzard
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04 10 7:31 am    Post subject: Bought me one of these critters Reply with quote

Last weekend we had the annual "Bugs & BBQ Fiesta" over at our friend's place.

Each year the plan is to cook the BBQ in advance (2-6 hours) and bring it over a couple of hours prior to the bugs (crawfish) going into the pot.

Well, this year a LOT of people wanted some of my ABTs fresh from the pit! Since my buddy lives on a SMALL lot, and quite a few folks were gonna be there, we decided that there was NOT enough room for the Buzzard Burner.

To make it where I could cook ABTs on site I went out and got me a right brand new Brinkmann Square vertical smoker....

Here is the link to it: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100606045&langId=-1&catalogId=10053

Upon construction of the thing I found it to be a bit heavier in construction than you would find in the average beer can.

During the first burn out I found that the little pan provided for fuel does NOT have ANY ventilation within it! Off to the drill press I went.

26 1/2" diameter holes later I went back to the burn... It worked well then.

The description of the smoker is as follows:

"Add great smoke flavor to your meat with this affordable, heavy-duty steel charcoal smoker. Able to hold up to 50 lbs. Of meat, this smoker has a space-saving vertical design with two locking front doors for easy access to food, water and charcoal pans. With four adjustable air vents to control heat and smoke, plus a professional temperature gauge. The smoker has sturdy chrome wire handles that stays cool to the touch, porcelain-coated water and charcoal pans that slide out for easy clean-up. Finished in a durable black textured paint that will last for years."

50 pounds of meat?!?! It BARELY held the first 40 ABTs! It ONLY comes with 2 grates! No problem, we cooked in stages and folks were happy.

Lets talk factory thermometers for a moment here... As many of you know, I just DON'T trust most analog therms. This is a GOOD reason why! The thermometer mounted in the door was reading around 250 or so during burn out and the CALIBRATED digital thermocouple setup I had in the top vent was reading 310!

Now, I bought this thing ONE WEEK AGO! Already the door is falling off... Years to come, I think not!

I drilled a hole and put in a long stainless bolt and nut to keep the door in position so that I could smoke some salmon for tomorrow at Memaw's place... Once again the thermometer was WAY OFF! I wanted to smoke the fish at 200 or so. The therm in the door BARELY moved over 150 and the thermocouple showed 243!

Yes, this is a rant, but it is also a lesson for some... DO NOT trust the construction of "Made In China", and NEVER trust factory thermometers unless you have a custom build! Even then I suggest that you check cal in boiling water and ice water.

OK, rant over, now you can get back to your regular life! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Charlie
Tombigbeeriverdawg
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04 10 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there done that.
New fire basket for me really helped.
Also run higher temps. with a clay saucer placed in water pan.
HarvestMoon
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04 10 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have gotten a 22.5" Weber Kettle for those ABT's.
Weber Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill
Big Ron
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05 10 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get what you pay for for sure. Good thing you can weld you a much better unit that that POS! Smile
www.bigronswebsite.com

(Find Big Ron's Rub on Facebook)
Big Ron's Custom Reverse Flow Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQxbfOx_MOE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: