FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Friend Chuck (pic heavy)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boomer
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Apr 03 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldBob

KUDOS to a job well done
Cool Cool Cool

boomer
JDeSimone
BBQ Fan

OldBob Looks great. Very Happy

Stumps Prince
22" Weber One Touch Platinum
18" WSM w/guru

U.S. Ambassador of B.S
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

OldBob, that right there is a fantastic looking chuck. Very Happy I will be watching for the finished pics. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
OldBob
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Apr 04 2010    Post subject: Why I Love Chuck! Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words all. It was an 18¼ hour cook for a 17¾pound chuck roll. Not bad, all in all and boy, was it worth every bit of the time spent!

At 7:30 AM internal temp was still 180° in the cooler so it gave me time to do this.

When I took Chuck off this morning I closed the vents, removed the stack, and put the damper on. I had enough coals left this morning to start a ½ chimney of Stubb's. I set the Char-Griller up for an indirect cook and brought it to temp. A quick scrape and brush of the grates and 5 lbs. of red potatoes went on. They sizzled so nicely when they hit the grill. Mmm-mmm, they should be ready about noon, just before I have to leave.

But enough teasing, On With The Chuck!

At 9:00 Chucky was at 174° internal and external temp was 167°. Wakey, wakey, Chuck.

Still too hot to handle comfortably, Chuck is unwrapped and ready to pull!

A mountain o' beef to pull (10lbs 6oz).

Is your mouth watering yet?

How about now? Now let me tell all y'all, right here and right now, it tastes as good as it looks!! Mr. Green

Tonight's menu:
Pulled beef sammies with coleslaw
Pit beans
Grilled taters

I can hardly wait! I'll get a pic once we get it plated up.

Total yield was 9lbs 2oz. I chopped about a pound and mixed a ¼lb into each pan of beans I made yesterday. I held back the rest for the next batch (if SOMEONE doesn't beat me to the stash again!).

Chuck is very forgiving. The highest smoker temp reached was 260° when the internal temp was right at 204°. I had dozed off a ½ hour before when the smoker was holding steady at 235°. The over temp alarm on the remote thermometer woke we when the temp his 250° and by the time I had the vent closed, Chuck was ready.

I think the lowest smoker temp was about 168° when I waited too long to put another chimney full on. The temp was 215° when I put the charcoal on but it took a lot of the heat out of the pit to get it going. Each time I added charcoal it got better until at the last it didn't drop below 220°.

One other odd thing happened. I was throwing in a chunk or a
½-split of hickory on every now and then until Chuck hit the plateau. I threw in an 8" length split of hickory and the smoke turned a brownish-gray in color. Sad I pulled that son-of-a gun off immediately. The odd thing was, I had used the other half just before this one and it was fine. It's been stored in the back room of the house and I didn't see anything wrong with that particular piece. I didn't have any problem any of the other. It's a mystery to me.

Well, got to go.

Oh, those taters I showed y'all earlier, here they are after 2½ hours at 350° grate temp.

Enjoy!

Char-Griller Smokin Pro w/Mods.
Char-Griller Outlaw

Maverick Redi-Chek ET-73
Remote Smoker Thermometer
Andy Reese
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Apr 04 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything looks great so far Old Bob Be right there so as the ribs are done
A&A BBQ
charleso
BBQ Pro

What can I say except WOW!!! I done a whole lot of smoking today, but you wouldn't want to eat anything I cooked. We had a cleanup day at church. Started burning around 8am(with proper COUNTY issued permit). City fire showed up around 430pm when we were letting the coals burn down so that we could leave. City fire informed us they HAD to put our fire out cause we were in the city. Strangest thing, 6 months ago when church was broken into twice in 3 days, City police informed us we were county and refused to make security patrols of our facility.
OldBob
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Apr 04 2010    Post subject: Putting It All Together Reply with quote

Here's the way we served it up. First time I tried this bean recipe and it is a keeper.

Seven of us managed to put away about three pounds of beef, most of the potatoes, and all but a pint of one of the pans of beans. They about had to roll me out to the truck. Smile

I just got home a few minutes ago so it's been a long two days. It was well worth the time and effort expended though.

I hope everyone enjoyed my little beef adventure as much as I enjoyed doing it (and eating the results). If you haven't tried a chuck roll yet, give it a go. Just be patient and take it low and slow. You won't be disappointed. Mr. Green

Char-Griller Smokin Pro w/Mods.
Char-Griller Outlaw

Maverick Redi-Chek ET-73
Remote Smoker Thermometer
BRBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

I am so BBQ'ing this comming week, nice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: