FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MSG Debate
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14 06 3:11 am    Post subject: MSG Debate Reply with quote

Shoot, I don't even know where to start. What does everyone think about using MSG for smoking? Would you use it for a competition but not at home? Both? Neither?

I've only done one competition but I have really been reading and talking to everything and everyone I can about what competitors are doing. My 1st comp mentor purchased FAB products, which is basically bouillon loaded with MSG. It did not seem to help him last weekend in NH but if everyone else was using it too then it's just an equalizer.

Anyway, I'm thinking of trying it but I just hate to start down the chemical additive road.
Thomas P.
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14 06 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubs are generally eral salty to begin with, so adding MSG isn't going to hurt you in that sense. It is a very big flavor enhancer, and I have yet to read the label on a commercial rub that doesn't include it.

I have heard, though, that some people are VERY allergic to MSG, although I'm not sure what their reaction is.

GO VOLS!
Mark H
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14 06 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, MSG is a poison, and anyone using it should be disqualified from competition. Further, IMO, anyone using it at home is poisoning his family!
It is adulteration of food.

I'm not holding back much here. LOL
Mark H
MoeBiscuits
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14 06 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've never considered using MSG in anything - I've always understood it to be a meat tenderizer and my meat always comes out plenty tender...except my brisket, but I digress.

From what I've seen, MSG is dangerous in the same sense that salt is dangerous - too much will cause problems. There are people who have MSC (MSG Symptom Complex)

IMO, there are way too many other good spices out there for me to spend money on MSG. But that's just my .011.

Right next to the coleslaw and beans!

Last edited by MoeBiscuits on Wed Jun 14 06 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
bbqblue
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14 06 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't add MSG to food but that doesn't mean I'm not eating it.

Monosodium glutamate is the sodium salt of glutamic acid and glutamate is a naturally occurring amino acid that is found in nearly all foods, especially high protein foods such as dairy products, meat and fish and in many vegetables.

Foods such as mushrooms and tomatoes have very high levels of naturally occurring glutamate. So if you eat pizza, you can probably consider yourself 'poisoned' Very Happy
BBQBLiTZ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14 06 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mark H"]IMO, MSG is a poison, and anyone using it

Last edited by BBQBLiTZ on Sun Feb 13 11 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total
mikekilian1947
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14 06 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey All

MSG is a proccessed product, so it is not like pepper, maybe more like refined sugar. It's my understanding that some people are sensitive to this "chemical." MSG is usually produced through fermentation, a process similar to that used in making beer, vinegar and yogurt. The process usually begins with the fermentation of corn, sugar beets or sugar cane. The finished product is a pure, white crystal which dissolves easily and blends well in many foods. Honestly, I don't use it very often, but like anything, it has it's applications. Foods have naturally formed glutamtes, like tomatoes, some cheeses and nuts like walnuts. Most proteins have glutamates. So the ribs you smoke, have glutamates as part of the structure.

Use or not? Your call, but unless you are very sensitive, there is not much to fear, IMHO!

Mike
BBQBLiTZ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14 06 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys know how it works right? It actually doesn't do anything to the food flavor wise.

BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14 06 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with bbqblue- MSG is a natural occuring substance.

But..............NO to adding any extra for me, thanks! Very Happy
BBQBLiTZ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14 06 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote=

BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14 06 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQBLITZ, That's why I only smoke in B.C.- All natural, no additives! Laughing
BBQBLiTZ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14 06 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQMAN wrote:
BBQBLITZ, That's why I only smoke in B.C.- All natural, no additives! Laughing

lmao! I hear ya, brother Very Happy

mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14 06 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in favor of banning it too. It's a slippery slope allowing chemicals in greater amounts than they may naturally occur. What's next, pheromones? Some wild chemical that the judges get addicted to? Hell, I don''t know how far you could take it.

I tasted the FAB products right out of their jars. All they are is a bouillion as a conduit for the MSG. It tasted terrible and smelled like dog food (meal) but it is supposed to make meat come alive. I don't begrudge them their sales success but the list of ingredients on the side of the container was scary. I hate to single them out since I figure many of the commercial flavor additives are about the same.

I'm pretty sure restaurants have to warn customers if they use MSG.

Anyway, OSHA is gonna make me install handrails on my soapbox if I don't get off of it.
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14 06 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

basically at home I probably wouldnt use it...in a comp, I say use it if you want to...I have a feeling that one day all of the "doctoring" is going to blow up in someones face...
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14 06 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it once in a rub and mixed some more without msg and cooked the ribs up and i tell ya i couldn`t tell the difference. Rolling Eyes
Now have you heard of using a product called "tender quick" in comps?
To be honest fellas if i had the time and money to spend on comp cooking i would, but its all these little tricks and more that i don`t know about that would keep me in the bottom ten instead of the top ten at a comp. Rolling Eyes
Live and learn i guess... Wink
Mike Lawry
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14 06 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your in a comp, Hey put a little in your rub.

At home , just leave it out.
doogie494
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14 06 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is why i do not buy lays potato chips. not all but most list msg.
Texacue
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14 06 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's alot of hype and hoopla surrounding MSG. How much is true is yet to be discovered. MSG hides under many names like: Maltodextrin (common in alot of commercial rubs) and Hydrolized Soy Protein which is in just about every frozen food entree.

MSG was isolated by a Japanese scientist who realized that in addition to sweet, salty, and sour there was another dimension of taste called, "Savory".

Japanese cooks had long used kelp (seaweed) as a flavor enhancing ingredient which contains naturally occuring MSG but with modern day "ADVANCES" MSG is produced chemically and is in some part responsible for MSG allergic reactions or at least thats what's explained by the experts.

One thing's for certain: Prior to widespread use of MSG in American processed foods you never heard about situations like Columbine or other school related killings. I just know that the last two generations of kids out there have been raised on a just about pure MSG product called Rahmen Noodles and they're out there shooting each other up and doing stupid s--t left and right. I hope it's not the MSG this to happen but it's impossible to ignore.

Tex
mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14 06 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, yea who knows about long term exposure to some of these chemicals. I guess it is going to take some sanctioning judge having an acute reaction to something in someone's meat. God forbid someone had a fatal reaction.

I can see how it might play out. Every entry would would have to be lab tested. Lord knows the hoops we might have to jump through during meat inspection. It could become like the Olympics anti-drug policy where every winner and random competitors would have to be tested for "illegal" additives.

Damn what a can of worms but as the money and fame increase people get more desperate to win.
MaineMapleDave
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14 06 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta weigh in on this one.

MSG is everywhere. Through some loopholes in labelling laws, foods with MSG can actually be labelled as "no MSG" if the MSG is in a sub-ingredient, or exists under a different name.

Check out: http://www.truthinlabeling.org/hiddensources.html for more on the hidden MSG that's everywhere.

Personally, I would never add it to anything, although I know that it's in some items in our pantry and in food that we eat probably every day.

I have read that it can cause allergic reactions like other food allergies or bee stings but have no personal experience with that.
Cameron's Stovetop Smoker
See the pix at:
http://flickr.com/photos/21065315@N05/sets/72157603328370636/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: