FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sweet Pepper Pork

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23 06 7:31 am    Post subject: Sweet Pepper Pork Reply with quote

Sweet Pepper Pork

I ran across this recipe while preparing to teach one of my Pit Master University classes. The finished product is somewhat sweet but not overpowering. The use of chopped (not ground) spices allowed the flavor of each individual spice to pop in your mouth. Many of the individuals tasting this hot off the smoker replied: “you don’t even need BBQ sauce.” I believe I agree with them. The crust and brownies gave the entire meat a burst of flavor. When you got to the meat inside, the injection mix complemented the flavor of the meat and was subtle in taste and aroma.

Dry Ingredients:

3 Tbspn. Demerara Sugar
2 Tbspn. McCormick Sweet Pepper and Onion 1 Step Mix
2 Tbspn. McCormick Roasted Garlic and Bell Pepper 1 Step Mix
1 tbspn. Tony Chacheres Original Creole Seasoning

Wet Ingredients:
1 oz. Molasses
1 oz. SriRacha
3 oz. Olive Oil
3 oz. Apple Cider
4 oz. Yellow Mustard

Mix the dry ingredients together and rub completely over the pork making sure to cover both end of the meat.

Slather Mix
Mix the wet ingredients (minus the olive oil and apple cider) together in a cup and pour ¾ of the slather mix over the pork. Slather the mix evenly until the entire meat is covered.

Injection Mix
With the remaining ¼ of the slather, add in the olive oil and the apple cider and stir thoroughly.
Inject the mixture into the meat at various places until the mix is gone.

Place the pork fat side up in a preheated smoker @225 degrees. Cook for approximately 1.5 – 2 hours per pound.

Remove the meat from the smoker when the internal temperature of the pork reached 190 degrees and the blade bone pulls freely from the rest of the pork.
Let rest for approximately 30 min. – 1 hour to allow the juices to redistribute themselves back into the meat.

Using two forks or your hands pull the pork apart into small bite size portions.

yukondude1
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23 06 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien,

Looks like a wonderful recipe--- I plan to try it.

If you don't mind, I'm curious about the configuration of your smoker. I see a bowl of coals in the picture, and a few inches above the bowl there appears to be some kind of slotted grill. I don't see a water pan or anything to catch grease drippings. Is that correct, or do I have the wrong perspective?

Thanks,
Yukondude
Caroline's Rub
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23 06 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds excellent Alien...I will have to definitely give that one a try. Nice photos as well...
100% No-Hassle Money Back Guarantee
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23 06 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yukondude1 wrote:
Alien,

Looks like a wonderful recipe--- I plan to try it.

If you don't mind, I'm curious about the configuration of your smoker. I see a bowl of coals in the picture, and a few inches above the bowl there appears to be some kind of slotted grill. I don't see a water pan or anything to catch grease drippings. Is that correct, or do I have the wrong perspective?

Thanks,
Yukondude

This is a mod that I did to my stainless steel smoker. I have a rack system with 11 racks in the vertical section. I took a stainless steel heavy duty mixing bowl and drilled holes in it. I then went to the Goodwill store and bought a roaster pan that was the same size as my grates. I used the lower section of the roaster pan to sit my fire bowl on and the upper grate as a heat diffuser. The drippings that hit the grate either burn up, drip through to the fire bowl or are caught in the drip pan that the bowl sits on. Sounds funky, but I can cook 8- eight pound butts with a half a bag of charcoal and chunks.
yukondude1
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23 06 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien,

Thank you for explaining the mechanics of your smoker. Sounds like a good solution to a few issues. You may recall I recently built a cabinet smoker with a coals basket in the bottom level, but haven't been satisfied with heat control. I'm going to try an approach similar to yours and see what happens.

Thanks again to the Norm Abrams of Smoker BBQ's---

Yukondude
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24 06 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I am doing on my large cabinet smoker under construction is installing angle iron bracing upside down across the cooking grate. The iron is placed with the wide side down ^ . The idea is that the heat will rise, get caught in the channels and spread itself more evenly across the cooker. I will let you know how this works out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: