FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This weekends mixed bag.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20 06 11:21 am    Post subject: This weekends mixed bag. Reply with quote

I had a great day for some BBQ on Saturday. The temp was about 90 degrees, sun shining and I had lots of food for the smoker. I bought a nice 4 lb fillet of Atlantic salmon which I brined in a mixture of brown sugar and kosher salt over night. The salmon really firmed up with the brining and my wife thought it was good to eat before I smoked it. I used maple wood for smoke this weekend and found it to be very suttle and really not what I was hoping for in a BBQ wood. The wood imparted a very faint aroma to the cooked food and there was almost no smokey flavour.

Heres a pic of the salmon right out of the smoker.

I made the smoked salmon for a family reunion and it was enjoyed by all who eat it. Even I, who dont care for salmon found it pretty good...
Heres how I presented it.

My Ma bought a small striploin roast that she wanted me to smoke for her. I rubbed it down with Montreal steak spice and smoked it till it was medium. Just amazing in a sandwich.

I smoked up some chicken thighs for Saturday nights dinner. I used a cajan rub and injected the thighs with franks hot sauce. The skin was a bit rubbery but edible.

I also made some ABT's, half with Jalapenos and the other half with yellow banana peppers. I wanted to see how the banana peppers do for ABT's. Rather than cut the peppers in half I cut a slice off the side so I made a boat. After removing the membrane and seeds I stuffed them with a cheddar/cream cheese/cajan rub mixture, topped off with pepperoni slices.
The yellow peppers are so much hotter than jalapenos that my wife only would eat a bit of the banana's and no more. for any one wanting a hotter ABT than a Jalapeno, I recommend the Banana peppers... Shocked

I also made some smoked almonds. I started with raw almonds which I gave a very thin coat of vegetable oil and a coating if salt before smokin. They turned out excellent, though they could have a bit more smoke. I want to try smoking them with mesquite next time.

Heres a shot of the smoker after the salmon came off.

So nice to have lots of extra room to fit what ever I want to do. Got to love the chargriller. It hummed along all day, I used half a 5 lb bag to of charcoal to get things going and then it was straight split maple after that..
LIAR #100
BBQBLiTZ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20 06 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks awesome, bro!

Last edited by BBQBLiTZ on Sun Feb 13 11 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Kneuby

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20 06 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long does it take to smoke almonds that sounds mouth watering never thought of smoking almonds but now I gotta try them.
GrievousAngel056
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20 06 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you smoke the fish while the other meat was on? Did it taint the taste of anything else on the smoker?
loomis1228
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20 06 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxy,

Everything looks wonderful. My brother-in-law is absoluetey crazy about his Chargriller--maybe I should have invested in that one too--such is life. As far as the chicken skin goes--did you rub it with some oil before adding the seasoning? I did a whole chicken last weekend and rubbed the whole thing with vegetable oil before putting the rub on. The skin was nice and crispy and the meat was moist and perfect.

Also--if you can get your hands on some wild cherry wood, try that. it gives it a beautiful smokey flavor. Nice and sweet but smokey and delicious!
"The Bone Barrel"--Weber Smoky Mountain
Hasty Bake Surburban
Weber Performer
Weber Gas
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20 06 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kneuby wrote:
How long does it take to smoke almonds that sounds mouth watering never thought of smoking almonds but now I gotta try them.

I had em on for about 3 hours. They got a real nice crunch and are a little extra roasted but I do like em that way.
LIAR #100
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20 06 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrievousAngel056 wrote:
Did you smoke the fish while the other meat was on? Did it taint the taste of anything else on the smoker?

I smoked the fish with the ABT's, the steak roast and almonds and nothing else tastes like the fish. I was hoping it would not tranfer and it didnt. I cleaned the grill after the fish came off and I plan to burn some charcoal in the main chamber next session to get rid of any left over fish essence.
LIAR #100
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20 06 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loomis1228 wrote:
Roxy,

Everything looks wonderful. My brother-in-law is absoluetey crazy about his Chargriller--maybe I should have invested in that one too--such is life. As far as the chicken skin goes--did you rub it with some oil before adding the seasoning? I did a whole chicken last weekend and rubbed the whole thing with vegetable oil before putting the rub on. The skin was nice and crispy and the meat was moist and perfect.

Also--if you can get your hands on some wild cherry wood, try that. it gives it a beautiful smokey flavor. Nice and sweet but smokey and delicious!

I did rub the chicken down with olive oil before the application of rub as I always do. I did not get to let it sit over night as I like to.

I agree, cherry is excellent for BBQ, I had a trunk full last year. I got a couple of pieces of maple with the apple. I have heard guys talk about maple and how can you give an opinion unless you try it a couple of times right..??
LIAR #100
specialC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20 06 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,

loser question here...what the heck does ABT stand for? A...avacado? B....bacon. T...?

~C
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20 06 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABT's= Atomic buffalo turds..

but since I am from Canada it is Atomic Bowinkle turds or AMT with them for moose.

They are an awesome snack food that is great to feed your guests or family while the BBQ is cooking.

There are many threads here at the forum detailing their construction. They are worth the time and fuss to make. Just be careful of the yellow banana peppers... They go in hot and come out even hotter... Shocked Embarassed Shocked
LIAR #100
Doc1680
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21 06 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxy my man, that's one hellova spread. Fabulous as usual. I see the Chargriller is treating you right. Smile

Doc
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21 06 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc1680 wrote:
Roxy my man, that's one hellova spread. Fabulous as usual. I see the Chargriller is treating you right. Smile

Thanks Doc, it was fun cookin up all the different stuff. The salmon turned out prett good and I even ate a nice hunk. I think I will be doing it more often.

I am really pleased with the smoker. Best money my wife ever spend. Wink
LIAR #100
MoeBiscuits
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23 06 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some beautiful looking salmon, roxy. I see tin foil under it...did you wrap it, or let it go uncovered the whole time? Great presentation, too!

Right next to the coleslaw and beans!
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23 06 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great Roxy! Very Happy
Caroline's Rub
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23 06 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Roxy...looks delicious!
100% No-Hassle Money Back Guarantee
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23 06 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoeBiscuits wrote:
That's some beautiful looking salmon, roxy. I see tin foil under it...did you wrap it, or let it go uncovered the whole time? Great presentation, too!

I had a piece of foil under the salmon so I could get it of the grill in one piece. Uncovered the whole time. In hind site I could have gone without the foil as the fish was firm enough.
LIAR #100
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23 06 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roxy wrote:
MoeBiscuits wrote:

I had a piece of foil under the salmon so I could get it of the grill in one piece. Uncovered the whole time. In hind site I could have gone without the foil as the fish was firm enough.

Yea, but the first time you don't do it..... you know what is going to happen.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23 06 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your so right. I wanted it to be in one nice piece so it looked all fancy for dinner. If it was just for me and the family I would have cut it into steaks.
LIAR #100
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23 06 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I place mine on foil as well- easier to get of the grate, and it leaves no fish residue either! Very Happy Wink
(SIC) BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23 06 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you are still putting out some fine looking Q (and posting pics for everyone to enjoy).

Jason

[Sci]ence + A[r]t = (SIC) BBQ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: