FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My First Build - Updated Sept 19 - 2nd Test Cook
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rykymus
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15 10 10:27 am    Post subject: My First Build - Updated Sept 19 - 2nd Test Cook Reply with quote

After lurking, joining, asking you all kinds of questions, I finally got started today. It's just me and my Father in Law. (And my wife counting all the money we're wasting.) And neither of us has any real metal working/welding experience to speak of. But we're gonna give it our best shot.
Today, we removed all the largest external fittings, and cut off the large square mounting plates that were on top, as well as the feet that were on the bottom. The tank is gonna be rotated 180 to give us the best unobstructed area for the doors. This is going to be a basic reverse-flow, nothing fancy. It's a little small (diameter wise) but it should do us for a few years.)

Here's what we started with...

Here's my Father-in-Law (Leonid) cutting off the plates...

Here's what came out of the tank when we rolled it over.

Don't know what the %$#@ it is, but about 5 gal of it came out. Any ideas? What am I going to have to do to make this thing safe to cook in? (My Father-in-Law thinks it's oil and water, maybe with a little rust? (Looks like chocolate milk shake.)

This is what we ended the day with...

Tommorow the electrician is putting in a seperate breaker and a plug in my garage for the used Lincoln AC225S I picked up for $125 last week. I'm gonna spend the next few nights cleaning the outside of the tank before I bring it home. (We're currently working on it in my mother's driveway. I had to clean up and organize our garage and create a workspace for us.)
I will continue to post pics as we go, as I owe everything I know to all of you on the Ring. Without you guys, I would be totally lost! Very Happy

Rykymus

Last edited by rykymus on Sun Sep 19 10 10:32 pm; edited 25 times in total
Huntn247

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15 10 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like oil and water to me. I have seen the same thing come out of engines when the head gasket goes bad.
BigOlBoysBBQ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15 10 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good man. I would guess that you are correct on the assumption of the oil and water mixture coming out of it. I would just wash it out really good and then get a good burn on the inside once you get it opened up and what not. But that is my opinion.
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15 10 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good so far. Two sugestions,

1. get a face sheild for using the grinder/cut off wheel - The use of one's eyes is worth the $15.

2. save those plates you cut off to practice on before you weld on the tank. (I'm a rookie welder myself, and practice helps)
alittle1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15 10 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would open that tank up and burn out the inside with a really hot and long fire. The oil is impregnated into the metal over the years of use. You'll have to get it red hot to do that.

Do you have any primary drawings of which way your build is going to go?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15 10 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rykymus, your off to a great start Very Happy The sludge that you drained is condensation from the tank and compressor oil mixed. No doubt the previous owner did not no where the petcock valve was to drain the condensation.
I to would advise a good face shield for the grinding. You always know you got a metal shaving in your eye at around 3:00 A.M. in the morning when it starts to work its way out.

Hybrid Cooker
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15 10 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats goin to make one heck of a cooker man cant wait for some more updates
eccho108
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16 10 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+3 on the shield, but off to a good start. Love to watch them come together. Good luck! Smile

WSM 18.5 CA.
Broil King 5 burner gasser CA.
7Qt. Lodge DO
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16 10 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Face sheild good.that stuff IS chocolate milk!MMMM.LOL you might want to pour a little in a metal coffee can and see if it will light if it goes puff that will tell you to be very careful with a flame or spark when opening it.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16 10 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

come on guys a glass eye is a fun way to mess with grandkids hell anyone for that matter and I hear eye-patches are on coming back it to style lol j/k
Brians_45

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16 10 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a fine start!

To echo the above, get a face shield! Also see if the liquid you drained out is flammable. If it is, you might want to purge that tank before cutting on it! Surprised
rykymus
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16 10 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, the electrician wired up a breaker and a plug for my welder. Last night I plugged it in and POP!!!! Shocked Mains tripped and all the power went out. The loud pop and the flash of light scared the $%#^& out of my neighbor, who came running over to see what happened. Wife was a little miffed, since she was in the shower at the time. (And it was already dark.) Rolling Eyes Gonna have to take my tester home from work and check for a short in the welder before I plug it in again.
By the way, I've already purchased a face shield. I've already had my cornea replaced once, don't care to go through that again. And I think I will see if that stuff is flammable before I do anything else.
seattlepitboss
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17 10 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rykymus wrote:
Last night I plugged in <my> and POP!!!! Shocked Mains tripped and all the power went out.

Your electrician probably screwed something up. Nothing you can do should have tripped your mains. Only the breaker he installed should have popped. I would check the size of the breaker he installed, then check his wiring, and only then check out the welder.

Um, you did see this welder powered up and welding before you bought it, right?

seattlepitboss
Backyard Smoke

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17 10 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rykymus wrote:Tommorow the electrician is putting in a seperate breaker and a plug in my garage for the used Lincoln AC225S.

I believe I would have to look into the used welder first to see if it is wired properly.
Surely an electrican would wire the house right.
rykymus
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17 10 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seattlepitboss: That's what I was thinking. Both the new 50A breaker he installed and the main 100A breaker tripped. (Taking out all power to the home.) I also noticed that there was quite a bit of resistance when I tried to plug the cord in, and the plug box (which is just nailed against a stud) moved back quite a bit just before the short. And yes, I did see it welding before I bought it. (That's what my wife asked as well.)

Backyard Smoke: We opened up the welder this morning before I came to work, and didn't see anything amiss. In fact, everything looked pretty new. We're going to put the tester to it this afternoon to be sure before I call the electrician back.
JD Witt
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17 10 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

killswitch505 wrote:
come on guys a glass eye is a fun way to mess with grandkids hell anyone for that matter and I hear eye-patches are on coming back it to style lol j/k

He's right, I wear one on both eyes when I'm cutting metal Laughing !
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17 10 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man that breaker tripin could mean lots of things if the Short Circuit Current Rating is higher on the 50 then the 100 or maybe the 100 amp is gettin weak but i see this a lot with FPE and older cutler hammer stuff Iíve tripped what should have been a 20 amp breaker a caught a 200 amp main that was fun lol more then likely you have a neutral and a feeder crossed in the cord cap or the receptacle
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17 10 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sh!t thats if you have a 4 wire welder like i do if its 3 wire it might be a crossed feeder and the ground or if its wired with SOW you bight have a few frayed wires shorting on each other
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17 10 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check the receptacle the welder is plugging into. It sounds like the electrician might have placed a neutral wire where one of your hot legs belong. That would feed back to the mains and trip them as well.

Hybrid Cooker
rykymus
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17 10 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the culprit!

The electrician wasn't paying very close attention when he pushed the socket back into it's housing. The bare ground was up against the locking screw for the red (hot) wire and that's what shorted. The ground is nearly melted through and there is scorching all over the place. We cut it shorter (to remove the damaged area, and wrapped it with some heavy electrical tape, and then replaced it (quite carefully) into the box. Tested the welder, and all is fine. So now back to work on the tank! Thanks guys! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: