FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kitchenaid Sausage Stuffer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
legrow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25 09 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Cheech, for your helpful insight, I believe you are correct. Do you use a vertical stuffer, and if so, how are your results?
Cheech
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25 09 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the 5lb stuffer from the Sausage Maker. I am trying to work out a deal with a guy from work where he will buy my 5lb stuffer and I will get the 15lb stuffer.

By nature I am a bit cheap and bought the smaller one cause it cost less. Now I am really paying the price because I constantly need to refill it.

So my advise is buy the largest you can afford you will be glad you did.

Past history, I used the:
kitchen aid stuffer for a few times but had similar results to yours
the "horn" type but the meat would squeeze past the punger.
and many others until I bit the bullet and bought a real vertical stuffer.

I typically do anywhere from 20-100# at a time so a good stuffer is a must.

http://grizzly.com/products/5-lb-Vertical-Sausage-Stuffer-SS/H6252

The above link is for the similar version to mine except about $120 less (I seem to find the best deals after I buy)
legrow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25 09 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, thank you, Cheech. I appreciate your recommendation for the vertical stuffer. I will be producing very small amounts of sausage at one time (about 5#) versus your large production; however, after reading all the negative comments about the plastic gears on the 5# stuffer I am not opposed to purchasing the 15# unit with the metal gears. My real concern has been if I bite the bullet and buy the more expensive unit, will I be able to produce sausages with a coarse consistency - reading your response, it sounds as though you believe I will get the results I am looking for.
bigdad
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25 09 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 15# stuffer from norther tools. It has the metal gears and is a breeze to use.I had the horn type stuffer and used,or should I say tried to use, it once and I threw it away. I was so pissed that I didnt even clean it Just tossed it out.Now all I need is a grinder. But for now my local market will grind what ever i buy from them for free so thats what i do.

Link!

It was on sale for 189.00 when I bought mine
legrow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25 09 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, BigDad, for your helpful comments. Looks like the 5# stuffer is cheaper at grissly.com, while the 15# is cheaper at Northern Tool. I am feeling encouraged about purchasing the 15# unit.

Although not exactly in this thread, does anyone have a sweet or hot Italian sausage recipe that they like, or a Chinese sausage recipe? We are still tinkering with the spices for the Italian and we aren't there yet. The Chinese sausage is ground pork flavored with the seasonings a Chinese restaurant uses to produce spareribs.
bigdad
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26 09 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/index.html+
http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/yf/foods/he176w.htm#Grinding%20and%20mixing
http://www.wwf5.com/stuffers.com/content/recipes/sausrecp.pdf

Heres a good place to start. If you dont all ready have it you might want to get the book"Great sausage recipes and meat curing" It is load with great info and a pile of recipes.
legrow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26 09 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, thanks, BigDad. I just ordered the book and am looking forward to reviewing the other sites you have pointed out.
ortugger

PostPosted: Fri May 08 09 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im a newbie, but this sight seems to have quite a bit of info. I think a junk store near me has an old horizontal gear drive stuffer........gotta check it out.
http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/index.htm
Sergeant Pepper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16 09 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey BTrain,
I'm new to the ring but I have been making sausage for a long time. The KA is a good starting rig but has drawbacks as other posters have pointed out. The grinder works pretty well but the stuffer can compromise the consistancy of your product. Also the neck of the tube is narrow and forcing meat paste down it is like putting toothpast back in the tube.
I still use a KA for grinding but use an 11# horizontal stuffer for putting the product in the casings. I have only 2 words of wisdom.
1. If you get a stuffer make sure it has metal gears.
2. Save up and get a meat mixer.
The mixer really helps distribute seasoning throughout your product.
I got my mixer barely used from a guy on Ebay and he was in my vicinity so I met him and didn't pay shipping. Have fun.
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09 10 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Kitchenaide as well. My biggest gripe if the size of the grinding plates. The "course" plate is still just too damn small. Does anyone know of a place that sells plates to fit that offer courser grinds?
BrettS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10 11 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too started stuff sausage on a KA rig, but found it far too slow and messy for serious sausage making. I recently purchased a LEM 5 lb stuffer and couldn't be happier with it. The LEM comes with all metal gears and hardware, unlike the Sausage Maker's entry level 5 lb stuffer, which costs about the same as the LEM.

With the LEM, I can knock out a batch of hotlinks in a matter of minutes, while the KA stuff took an hour +. I've also found that the texture of the finished product is better from the LEM, since the sausage mixture doesn't get a chance to get warm and greasy.

I haven't used the Grizzly stuffer so I can't speak to its performance, but as Sergeant Pepper said, metal gears are a must.
yukoff
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16 11 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread! Glad I saw this before I purchased the KA grinder/stuffer.

I see a lot of recommendations for a vertical sausage stuffer, but could someone recommend an affordable meat grinder? For now, I wouldn't be doing more than 5 lbs at a time.
Lyneliza

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21 11 10:14 am    Post subject: Kitchen aid stuffer Reply with quote

I too have had problems with the KA stuffer. Today I made a change that worked. I made "logs" out of my mixture slightly smaller then the feeder tube. I put the logs in the freezer until they were just stiff but not frozen hard. The logs slip easily into the feeder allowing air to escape. The auger grabs the meat without pulverizing it. If the meat is frozen it will get stuck at the spacer. For part of the process I even took the spacer out. The whole process took about an hour while yesterday I worked for hours with less then stellar results. I'll use this method from now on.
TSMODIE

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11 12 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i am new to this forum, but have been making sausages for years, i too have the KA, but it is not good at stuffing, i make mostly dnack sticks, and have also used the verticle stuffers, but recently bought the Dakota water stuffer, this is by far the best stuffer i have used, would not even think of using the vertical stuffer again, the water stuffer is about 150 dollars with shipping, and the only complaint is the cheap valves they use, i replaced the valves with brass ones from the hardware store, and now this is the perfect stuffer, you really need to check it out,Tim
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11 13 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife got me the meat grinder and stuffer fittings for the kitchenaid this past Christmas. I can say the grinder is most excellent and works better then the Hobart grinder I have at work.. an A+ on the grinder attachment.

That said..

After more than an hour and a half to stuff 7 lbs of meat into casings I will never use this again..!! My arm was beyond sore the next day and it seemed to take forever to get a couple three inches of meat into the casing.. Good thing I was drinking or I might have killed some one..

I am saving my money to get a proper stuffer..
LIAR #100
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12 13 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Good thing I was drinking or I might have killed some one..

Isn't that the only way to do it Roxy? Wink

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12 13 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patruns wrote:
Quote:
Good thing I was drinking or I might have killed some one..

Isn't that the only way to do it Roxy? Wink

Well, yes.. Wink
LIAR #100
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25 13 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone is interested, I found where you can buy some large grinding plates.

http://www.amazon.com/Grinding-plate-discs-Kitchenaid-Chopper/dp/B0097Z6SMS

I just ordered some now and will let you know what they look like.

Update: Received them last night. I have to say, they appear to be as good as the originals in quality.

Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22 13 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Patruns!
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23 13 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeepdad wrote:
Thanks Patruns!

Welcome Dan!

I wasn't sure anyone ever saw this. Smile

Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: