FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kitchenaid Sausage Stuffer
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BTrain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16 06 12:45 am    Post subject: Kitchenaid Sausage Stuffer Reply with quote

What's happening,

I am new to the Smoke Ring and I can tell that I am going to love this joint. I am a member of Gator Pit's and Texas BBQRub's forums, because I use and own their products (not to mention they are great people, and I have learned a lot from them). I am addicted to BBQ/Smoking, and every other outdoor cooking you can think of. I want to start making my own sausage. I just ordered a Kitchenaid stand mixer (the biggest one they make) and all of the attachments they offer. If I want to start making my own sausage, is this a good rig to use? I am just wondering if this mixer is a good starter rig. I am looking forward to hearing and learning a lot from everyone out there.

BTrain
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16 06 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's OK for grinding but it's not a great stuffer. I broke down and bought a 5 lb vertical stuffer because the KA couldn't get the job done.
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16 06 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much loot did you drop getting the big KA and all the attachments....and you have a gator pit...can i be your friend?

oh and welcome to the boards...I would also like to hear what folks have to say about the KA stuff since i have the stand mixer and have thought about getting the grinder and the stuffer...
wittdog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16 06 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Jim H the KA is ok for grinding, I would look into getting a different stuffer. I have one from The Sausage Maker and my 4 year old can do the cranking.
Cheech
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03 06 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use a Kitchen Aid attachment. (I bought it trying to save money rather than go ahead and buy a stuffer)

I then moved to a horn type stuffer thinking it was a good deal, after that did not work I finally learned my lesson and went to the Sausage Maker and bought a real stuffer designed and made to stuff sausage.

Do yourself a favor and buy the real deal you will not be disappointed
PigMeat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26 06 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the need to add my 2 cent opinion here also. I bought the big Kitchen Aid mixer and am please very much with mixin'. I use it almost daily. It is great for mixing sausage parts before stuffing and of course for bread and such.

I bought the grinder attachment and it works ok if the meat is cold enough ( almost frozen). The push tool they now send with the grinder attachment has a lot to be desired. Bad design. It is too small to work effectivly. When the meat get a bit above frozen, the meat squeezes up around the push tool. But this is still workable.

I bought the sausage stuffer attachment. This was a true waste of money. I used it twice stuffing brats and it took more time than just using the stuffer nozzel and pushing it with a spatula. (This is no joke) The auger does not force the ground sausage out the end and pushing it down the throat with the push tool just squeezes it back up the sides. Even worse, most of my efforts are making beef sticks. I make them weekly because I eat a bunch of em. You will never ever get the Kitchen Aid to push meat into the small nozzel and small casings.

I also blew it on the second effort. I bought 3 lb. heavy duty stainless steel horn type. It works better than the Kitchen Aid but better is relative. Suffing large summer sausage is not a problem. Stuffing brats take considerable effort to force the meat out the nozzel. It takes my 200 lbs. laying on the handle to get it to work well. Now for my favorite, snack sticks, I do not weigh enough to push ground meat through the small nozzel. They say to add water to make it easier to stuff. I do add some water but to stuff snack sticks would be near a cup of water per pound to be viscous enough to go through the nozzel. That is not acceptable.

I must have my beef sticks. So I am now looking for another option. Have already spent over $100 on options that don't work well. I am also leary about the crank stuffers with plastic composite gears. As much effort as snack stick take to stuff, I picture stripping gears. But I know I will find a solution. Got to have my beef sticks.

I would hope this little blurb can aid or stear someone from making learned mistakes.
Mark H
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30 06 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guy has to really hunt around, but the old cast iron Enterprise stuffers turn up now and then.
Antique shops, junk shops, farm auctions, flea markets are all pretty good places to look. The bad thing is you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find the crown prince.
The nozzle or horns are available new, so if you find a stuffer without these you are still OK, but don't ever buy one of these stuffers without the coupler that holds the nozzle on. These couplers are just not available anywhere. If you try to have a machine shop make one up for you, you will find you would have been much better off buying a top of the line new one.

Cabela's has some pretty nice grinders with steel gears, I don't know about the construction of the stuffers, but they sure look first class.
Mark H
bbqjohnny

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04 06 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hay all i am new to this forum.i have readyy all the replys and i have been in the same boat got a grinder/stuffer lol what a joke that is. all i have to say is if you are going to get into it a lot spend the money and buy a grinder for your meat. some thing about a 1/2 hp or bigger . get a stuffer 5lbs or bigger .the sausage maker has a lot to pick from
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04 06 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PigMeat wrote:
I must have my beef sticks. So I am now looking for another option.

Northern Tool & Equipment has a knock off of the vertical stuffer that I use that looks like this:

My vertical stuffer from the Sausage Maker kicks butt.
Az_Redneck

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21 06 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the KA exclusively. It's what I started out with and haven't graduated to anything else. I have done literally hundreds of pounds of sausage with it. It's slow on stuffing, I will admit to that. If I was starting out new today and know what I know now, I would have never gotten it. I would have got a grinder and a stand-alone stuffer. There's a guy on ebay that sells a 5# verticle stuffer for something like $60.. I asked Santa for one and all he brought me was a GOSM Smoker Razz

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sausage-Stuffer-5-lb-Vertical-Meat-Grizzly-NEW_W0QQitemZ270070359786QQihZ017QQcategoryZ95075QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck
somegeek
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27 06 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Az_Redneck wrote:
I use the KA exclusively. It's what I started out with and haven't graduated to anything else. I have done literally hundreds of pounds of sausage with it. It's slow on stuffing, I will admit to that.

Good to hear as I received this as a gift this year.

Quote:
I asked Santa for one and all he brought me was a GOSM Smoker Razz

Life is full of compromises. Very Happy
tjkoko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28 06 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever used a Hobart mixer with the appropriate attachments?
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29 06 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got both of these Kitchen-Aid attachments for Christmas this year. I'm glad to hear the pointers about these, good to know.
Al Jensen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30 06 9:39 pm    Post subject: KA Stuffer Reply with quote

Hi All,

I started with a Kitchen aid grinder and made probably 60 pounds of sausage with it this year, but it is a little slow and the pusher is definitely undersized. (By comparison I found an old Toledo grinder that made 60# of sausage in one evening after work) It can be grooved to take a rubber O-ring that will help it push better. Or if you have a lathe you can turn a new one to fit.

The plates on the KA are supposed to be a #5, get the two hole spacer plate for stuffing to reduce the restrictions in the system.

I have used the KA to stuff hotdogs (~30mm collagen) and breakfast sausage (~21mm collagen) it worked, but you had to push it. I used the largest plate that I had (not the two holer) and there is a big difference between 30mm and 20mm case stuffing.

Im still looking for the best stuffer setup. I made a water stuffer out of a piece of 5.5 diameter aluminum tube that holds 8# per fill, but it takes two people to operate, one running the water and one holding the cases. Reloading is slower than I like, and it would be nice to have the entire assembly made from stainless, but I hate machining stainless.

Trying to use any grinder to stuff cases really kills the texture of a good sausage.

Al
pigman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30 06 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best price for vertical stuffers is at www.grizzly.com
Aaron
tjkoko

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31 06 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checkout Allied Kenco for your meat, butchering, curing and sausage needs:

http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/index.php
Howie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09 08 7:39 pm    Post subject: KA Grinder/Stuffer Reply with quote

I agree with Al. I tried stuffing snack sticks with a kitchen aid mixer and it turned the meat into a paste. There was nothing left of my high-temp cheese. The screw just tears the meat up and gives it a bad texture. The brats I did weren't too bad. The larger diameter allows the meat to pass through easier so it's not getting all mixed up. As for a grinder it works fine. Takes awhile but if you already have the mixer it'll save you a lot of money.
Question......Anyone know of a good AFFORDABLE vertical stuffer to make snack sticks? I've read lots of reviews and everyone complains about the gears breaking and the meat blowing by the seals when using the small diameter tube.
chickenman972
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29 09 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 5# stuffer and love it. Sometimes wish it was bigger, but other than that I have no regrets.
legrow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25 09 2:35 am    Post subject: Kitchenaid Stuffer Reply with quote

I am new to sausage making, and am having difficult producing Italian sausages. My equipment is the Kitchenaid grinder and KA stuffing tubes. I am trying to produce an Italian sausage with a coarse interior texture. After grinding my pork through the largest grind plate, the consistency is perfect (somewhat larger than hamburg consistency). However once I remove the grinding plate, cutter, and attach the spacer and stuffing tube and extrude the ground pork into the casing, the consistency of the interior of the sausage resembles a hot dog (very compact).

The problem may be the auger, or too much pressure on the pusher and I am willing to invest in a vertical stuffer, but would like to know from any of you experts if the vertical stuffer will allow for a coarse textured sausage or will the pressure from the stuffer cause me to end up with a hot dog consistency? Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.
Cheech
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25 09 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the auger and the size of the interior of the stuffing tube is what is making the "hot dog" appearance. Yes I do believe that the vertical stuffing tube would correct this problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: