FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Start-up Costs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
snyder66

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17 10 11:05 pm    Post subject: Start-up Costs Reply with quote

I'd like to hear from anyone who started their venture from the ground up. I would just like to get a rough idea of what costs would look like. Assuming I could secure a spot that is somewhat restaurant friendly, which would hopefully defer some of the cost. I'm looking at a casual Southern eatery with Barbeque. Thanks.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17 10 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends what building you are starting this venture in. Was it a restaurant? is the exhaust hood already there, sinks, dish sanitizer? Will you need to get a conditional use permit? larger hot-water capacity.

You'll need to price out the equipment, you'll need, building renovations costs, utility deposits, lease terms, insurance, inventory, uniform & towel service dining room decor, initial stock, and working capitol.

My initial guess for a building that was never a restaurant would be in excess of $120K and you would need to be cashflow positive real quick after opening to make it on that amount.

Kinda daunting, isn't it?
kingconsulting
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18 10 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you might have to install a 750 gallon under ground grease interceptor in the city near me if you want to open a place there. Not saying I speak from experience though Smile
New Braunfels El Dorado
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18 10 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!! 750 gallon, and underground too??

Jeesussss!! Why couldn't you do a smaller under-sink model? Or drop one in the main septic line in the basement? (no basement?)

That seems excessive to me. Although there is nothing I hate worse than cleaning an indoor grease trap, (I did it once) I will never ever do it again, I would rather set up camp in a rotting roadkill carcass and live there for a week in the august heat than be anywhere near an open greasetrap ever agian. I am sure that 750 gallon unit only needs attention every 20 years or so.
kingconsulting
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19 10 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I said but was a no go. This is for ONE sink. The most expensive sink in the world. Only exception I could get if there isn't enough room outback but unfortunately there is.

I've had guesstimates at $25k for this. This is for a small 1200 sqft place maybe with 6 tables. Welcome to California...

Harry Nutczak wrote:
WOW!! 750 gallon, and underground too??

Jeesussss!! Why couldn't you do a smaller under-sink model? Or drop one in the main septic line in the basement? (no basement?)

That seems excessive to me. Although there is nothing I hate worse than cleaning an indoor grease trap, (I did it once) I will never ever do it again, I would rather set up camp in a rotting roadkill carcass and live there for a week in the august heat than be anywhere near an open greasetrap ever agian. I am sure that 750 gallon unit only needs attention every 20 years or so.

New Braunfels El Dorado
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19 10 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get undersink models with all the needed ratings for less than $1,000.00 shipped.
50 Gallons per minute is more than enough flow rating for a restaurant that seats less than 1,000 people. they go right under the sink or inline with the sanitazer machine, food-pred sink.

If a grease trap was installed underground, it would be a turd-catcher unless seperated from other facilities. I would go over your county zoning guys head and research state ordinances to get this figured out better.
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19 10 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

750 G I don't think you could pour that much grease right down the drain.Someone is not reading the regs right.every raunt in the area has one that big?
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
kingconsulting
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19 10 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I am waiting to hear from the environmental compliance service to see what they say. I spoke with the building planner and water commissioner for the city and they both said the same thing. "I" know that an under the sink unit would be more than sufficient and had planned for that.

Dealing with city government is amazing sometimes. Just have to keep pushing forward I guess.
New Braunfels El Dorado
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19 10 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingconsulting wrote:

Dealing with city government is amazing sometimes. Just have to keep pushing forward I guess.

Maybe speaking with an attorney that specializes in that area may help?

I am shopping attorneys right now, and damn, I should have kept my plan to go to law school. $200/Hour is the going rate just for a consultation in my area. And the guy is a wad!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: