FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tuning plates vs RF

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pigalicous

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05 10 9:32 pm    Post subject: Tuning plates vs RF Reply with quote

Is there an advantage too choosing one over the other in a large cooker , say 32" Dia 5' long?
CypressTexas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05 10 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not have both? On my new build (conventional offset) I considered an extra exhaust stack on the end with the firebox and enough tuning plates to virtually cover the entire bottom of the pit, allowing me to reverse flow. Unfortunately it became too difficult with the other features I wanted so I passed. You could probably design it to have both if you wanted.
pigalicous

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05 10 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want both , too much trouble and cost for me to build right now.
Catfish
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05 10 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Lang 84 is 30 inches in diameter and 80 inches long, reverse flow. I can tell you that it maintains temp end to end and top to bottom that is very consistent once up to operating temperature and cooking.

I have never used a large offset so I can't offer an opinion on them.
whitey
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06 10 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Catfish said is true.
R.F all the way.Its a great thing.

Chicken Throwdown Champ..2010..
Almost the Biggest Liar on the "Ring"
forqueran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06 10 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catfish do you not consider your cooker a large offset? I am getting ready to build one similar in size to yours but maybe only 72" long. I was wondering if you have ever had your cooker full of meat and how much can you cook at one time?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06 10 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigalicous, I like them both. The one I am building right now is an R/F. My next build the one I am building for me and Mrs. K.A.M. to maybe start some comps with will have tuning plates. Given enough time on either design I believe I could make them cook equally side by side. As most of the members on the ring could do as well. I think it boils down to this ''I have an off set with tuning plates, or I have an offset without tuning plates, or I have an offset with a reverse flow setup''. They are all great cookers in my opinion.

Hybrid Cooker
animal
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06 10 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reverse flow is also a breeze to clean after a cook, and a lot less hassle to maintain even temps across the cooking area. From what I have seen tuning plates work best with an existing cooker when you are trying to even out temps. Why not go reverse flow from the start?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06 10 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

animal wrote:
Why not go reverse flow from the start?

When I want a challenge in cooking I use my offset, other wise I opt for the WSM's or UDS. I feel the same way about tuning plates and R/F's There are times when I want a hot spot on my racks for crisping chicken or fast heating something. If all I had to look forward to was even temps I would need two cookers going. These are just some examples and my thoughts.

Hybrid Cooker
pigalicous

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06 10 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
animal wrote:

When I want a challenge in cooking I use my offset, other wise I opt for the WSM's or UDS. I feel the same way about tuning plates and R/F's There are times when I want a hot spot on my racks for crisping chicken or fast heating something. If all I had to look forward to was even temps I would need two cookers going. These are just some examples and my thoughts.

That is exactly what I have been pondering and flip flopping so much. We have not entered anything other than the amateur divisions so mostly ribs and chicken. I like most ppl cook chicken a bit hotter than ribs and want to be able to do that if I need too without bringing another cooker.

How are ppl handling this that have a Lang smoker?

shane
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06 10 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shane, I do not know a lot of competitors that use R/F cookers. The competitors I do watch and learn from cook their comp chickens on separate smaller cookers on their rig. This is what I have noticed.

Hybrid Cooker
Brians_45

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06 10 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
animal wrote:

That is the exact reason that I am doing my build with tuning plates instead of reverse flow. Hot spots can be very useful...

-Brian
vieux_temp

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06 10 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys--
I have an OK Joe unit that i converted to a RF--what i did was have my plate cut into two pieces---so i can move one plate on top of the other one if needed without any effort---you can grill--sear--or crisp--the plates are 3/16 -sheared mild steel--which i wrap with foil--it gives a very tight seal and loses no smoke or hear when used as a RF--and it rest on the angle brackets that were set up on the pit--also added an additional top rack---moved the exhaust next to the firebox--had to drop the firebox down about 5" as the original design had a heat damn at the top---it has never worked better --
bootlegbbq
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06 10 11:35 pm    Post subject: pigalicous Reply with quote

I'm struggling with the same dilemma. I have a 30"x72" with a charcoal drawer. I have to burn wood in a barrel, then transfer the coals to the drawer. Not very wood efficient. I've determined my firebox size but cannot wrap my brain around how the R/F offers even heat when the firebox is on one side. Is there a deflector plate between the firebox and smoking chamber?
pigalicous

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08 10 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: pigalicous Reply with quote

bootlegbbq wrote:
I've determined my firebox size but cannot wrap my brain around how the R/F offers even heat when the firebox is on one side. Is there a deflector plate between the firebox and smoking chamber?

If I understand your question and you are asking how a RF offers even heat with the firebox on one end; The stack is also on the same end as the firebox.

All three forms of heat movement, conduction , convection and radiation, take place as the smoke/gas travels from the FB

This allows the smoke/gas to travel under the RF plate and enter the cook chamber on the end opposite the FB. Then it heats the cook chamber as it crosses over to the stack. This draft is convection

Heat that has been absorbed by the RF plate is radiated both above and below the plate.

The excessive heat from the FB conducts into the cook chamber throught the metal the cooker is made of as well.

Because all three things work together all 3 forms of heat equalize and a pretty constant temp is achieved from side to side.

hopes that helps

shane
bootlegbbq
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08 10 4:23 am    Post subject: pigalicous Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to explain that pigalicous. I've read your explanation in other posts but I'm kinda thick headed. It's time to quit dancing around this thing and begin the modification process.
pigalicous

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08 10 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude you are most welcome. I have a mechanical and scientific knowledge but not always the application.

Just ask K A M how many questions I pm'd lol

thanks again Kevin

shane
smokeworker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08 10 12:13 pm    Post subject: not to confuse you Reply with quote

....My intension is not to scramble you brains...but....my reverse flow trailer mounted unit has tuning plates....lol
They are 6 ,one foot, quarter inch plate steel . the first one is stationary and is welded to the diverter plate at the firebox end. this lets me create hot spots if I want them.....even heat if I dont. I think you will like any choice you make in the end
Its all good cookin once you learn your cooker!

Custom reverse flow trailer
35gal ss chargriller(20+ yrs an rollin)
vermont castings gasser for hot dogs
bootlegbbq
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08 10 9:04 pm    Post subject: smokeworker Reply with quote

Thanks smokeworker. Razz Here we go again. I do like the idea of having a choice. When you are cooking using RF how much variance do you get from FB side vs opposite side. How long is your smoker and does it have a warming box on the FB? See what you did! Laughing
Catfish
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09 10 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forqueran wrote:
Catfish do you not consider your cooker a large offset? I am getting ready to build one similar in size to yours but maybe only 72" long. I was wondering if you have ever had your cooker full of meat and how much can you cook at one time?

My cooker is a reverse flow and not a large offset.

The most I have cooked at one time is 40 butts.......right at 350 pounds in one cooking. That is all it would hold in the main chamber, with the top and bottom racks full.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: