FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about Barrel Size.....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kindollbbq
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06 10 11:53 am    Post subject: Question about Barrel Size..... Reply with quote

I was looking at the Big Drum Smoker website, and I noticed that they sell a drum smoker that it 31" in diameter and 43" tall. I had a couple of questions about the barrels used for these...

1.) What size (in gallons) would this drum be?

2.) Anyone know where I could buy one of these drums? Know where BDS buys these drums?

Building one of these peaked my interest seeing as how you could cook a whole KCBS contest on one!!

Thanks everybody for the help.

Brandon
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06 10 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a 30 x 41 internal is 110 gallons, so I'd guess 110 or so on the larger external size.

I still work here!
kindollbbq
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06 10 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the more I looked around after I posted, I think the approximate size is 110 Gallons. The 110 is a little smaller, but is very close. Just thinking of building something a little different. Have standard UDS and love it.

Thanks for the response

Brandon
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07 10 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Question about Barrel Size..... Reply with quote

kindollbbq wrote:

Building one of these peaked my interest seeing as how you could cook a whole KCBS contest on one!!
Brandon

I've never done the contest thing before, but I think I would rather have several smaller ones. (55 gal) Mainly due to the different temps that you need to run.
JM2C

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
bbohanon
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07 10 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kindollbbq wrote:
Yeah the more I looked around after I posted, I think the approximate size is 110 Gallons. The 110 is a little smaller, but is very close. Just thinking of building something a little different. Have standard UDS and love it.

Thanks for the response

Brandon

I am in the same boat..Just got done with my 55gal UDS, LOVE IT, and want to make a smaller one as well.
kindollbbq
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08 10 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I get what you're sayin' jarhead. I see where having the different temps for the different cookers would be an advantage. But I can also see where only having the 110 gallon drum and a small bullet cooker(for chicken) to worry about would be nice.

Now that is taking into consideration that in a contest you would probably have to refuel the 110 Gallon Drum once. But even that would not be bad.

I still haven't decided what I am doing yet. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Brandon
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08 10 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seriously don't need more than the two racks on an 85 gallon, and if your charcoal basket was 6 - 8" high above the grate, you'll be able to cook 14 - 16 hours without a refuel if you fill the basket.

I still work here!
kindollbbq
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08 10 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here is part of my reasoning for wanting the bigger drum. The 110 Gallon drum is 4 inches taller than the 85. This is why it matters to me.

Right now I have a two level UDS with a kettle lid. First level is 24" from bottom of charcoal grate(27" from drum bottom) and the top level is 30" from bottom of charcoal grate(33" from drum bottom). Now that is with 6" clearance between grates. I think I could get away with 5" clearance to be honest. To be honest with you I don't feel comfortable cooking on the bottom level of my UDS. I feel as though my food wants to burn too easy on that level. So therefore I only cook on the top level of my cooker.

So going with 5" clearance here is what I am thinking I can do. If the 110 gallon drum is 43" tall, I can subtract 10 inches from that(for the spacing for the two grates) that is 33". Then subtract 3" from that for the height of the charcoal basket from the bottom of the drum, and that is 30" So that would mean that the bottom level of the 110 Gallon Drum is the same height as the top level on my kettle lidded drum. And then of course I would have another level 35" from the bottom of the charcoal basket.

I like the idea of having two VERY USEABLE cooking levels in the 110 Gallon drum.

Brandon
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08 10 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do see where you're coming from but...

You have two very usable levels in an 85 gallon too, you just need to learn how to use them to get the cook that you want out of the pit that you've got.

One of the things is the old fat up fat down question, some of it is moving things around, you will get a hot side and a cold side on a drum, and you can use that to your advantage, or not do!

The other thing to remember is that you have the time to actually cook every thing at a competition, but you'll need at least a couple or a large and a grill.

If you are doing 2 butts and 2 briskets, they will fit on a single grate of a 26" drum, that will leave the other grate for the ribs or ribs and chicken, but remember that the last meats need to go on the bottom rack, as you are risking cross contamination if you put them over the top of already cooked meat.

Read disclaimer below!

I still work here!
kindollbbq
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08 10 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do see what you're saying too SoEzzy. Thanks for the tips. To be honest I'm not exactly sure what I am gonna do yet to be honest. Probably my best be t is to build a couple more 55 Gallon Drums with kettle lids and call it a day, but that 110 Gallon Drum would be really cool. Expensive, but cool.

Thanks again man. I appreciate it.

Brandon
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08 10 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not start off with a couple off 55's to start off with, learn your techniques and work out what you want while saving your penny's for what ever you want to go with next.

The bigger they are the more they weigh, the harder they are to move around etc.

I still work here!
Johnny Schmoeker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09 10 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kindollbbq: P.M. me if you want a link I found last year for a guy who had a bunch of 30" drums for sale at $25 each. Not sure if he has any left but it costs nothing to check. You have to pick them up in B.F. Illinois, though.... Ever since I got my 18 1/2" WSM, I've wanted to build a widebody UDS like you're talking about. Have you found anyplace to buy a drum without paying through the nose? Since these sizes seem to most commonly be used as salvage (i.e., chemical waste containment) drums, there aren't a lot of them floating around out there used and I'm not sure how you could get comfortable enough to cook in one if you did find it. Closest I've come so far was a never-used 85 gal at a used drum place, but they wanted $100 for it. It was also epoxy-lined so I'd have had to strip that crap off to boot. To SoEzzy's point, you could buy a whole arsenal of nice 55s for that kind of coin. I actually think the 96 gal drum (26" dia., same ht. as the 110 gal) would be ideal if I could somehow find a used 26" Weber lid. No luck on that yet either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: