FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Talk me into a BGE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjacobs
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26 12 3:21 am    Post subject: Talk me into a BGE Reply with quote

I had a New Braunfells offset(not sure exactly what model) that worked great for 3 seasons, but the firebox was pretty rusty so when I moved I left it for my room mates fiance. Now I am on the hunt for a new smoker.

I really am interested in a BGE, not sure on the size, probably the XL. I have not read anything bad about them(except the cost).

I am thinking of an XL with a BBQ Guru controller/fan setup(not sure which controller to go with).

So I just need a push over the edge to go spend 1000+ bucks on this thing.
FourEyes45

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26 12 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the Primo XL its made in the USA got one last week..waiting on the accs. that will be in Monday....
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26 12 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open the lid, remove the grates, lift your leg over the side, sit on the edge, lift in the other leg, bend your knees, wriggle your butt as far in as possible, put one hand between your legs, hold the lid with the other hand, scrunch down and close the lid over your head if you can... there I talked you into one... getting out, just reverse the procedure! Wink Laughing Wink

I still work here!
BigHatBBQ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26 12 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, my job is to talk you out of the foreign made big green toilet and into an American made offset. Buy one built to last you 30 years not 3 for roughly the same price as my big green nemesis.
Forkin Pork
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27 12 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can se my list of cookers, you can see I've had a few and still have my lang.
I just bought the WSM 22.5 and man this cooker is the boom.
Like I said, I just got it and only had my one cook on last Saturday. But I do know a little about cookers and this baby is worth every penny I spent.
It held temps beautifully for 7 hrs on just 80 charcoal briqs.
Grant it, it was a nice day, but for it's large size and it is large, it holds temp great.
I highly recommend it.
NOTE: Im the type of person that like "set It & forget it", but I really enjoy interacting with my cookers, which I don't thing you will get with a BGE.
Hope this helps.

Ceritfied KCBS Judge
Weber Silver. ECB, UDS
Up Graded Backwoods Party w/GURU
2011 Lang 84 Deluxe
Rocko-la
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27 12 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... looks like lots of BGE haters. I have one and I like it.

The big advantage with the BGE (or most any Kamado style cooker) is that not only can you smoke a brisket for 15hrs without any intervention, but you can also fire it up to 600° to put a nice sear on some steaks, or bake some pizzas and bread in a faux brick oven.

We have huge temp fluctuations here, up to 70° in a day sometimes. Once you learn how to control the temp, you don't have to constantly mess with it. If you spend the bucks and get a controller, it provides some added insurance (and sleep). I was at a BBQ school and the guy next to me was using a WSM with a stoker. He was wondering why his temp was dropping, when he looked he had run out of fuel a lot sooner than normal. My BGE with a DigiQ kept chugging along. The outside temp was in the 20's and it was windy.

Yes, it's made in Mexico, but the reason why I went with it is for the customer support. My local dealer also knows me, if I need something it is no problem for them to get it. I happened to be in the BGE store (in Atlanta) and a dude walked in needing a new fire grate. It reminded me that mine had cracked too (but I still use it) I told them that I needed one also and they gave me one. No receipt, no proof of purchase, they just gave it to me.

The biggest problem with them is if you have to move it. It can be done, but it ends up being big production. I usually have to take it apart and move it piece by piece.
rjacobs
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27 12 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am digging the efficiency of the BGE(or that style of cooker) as well as the low maintenance. I think I had to scrub the rust off my offset fire box and paint it 2x a season and that was a pain, plus it leaked everywhere with no conceivable way of sealing it up(I tried with lots of different types of gaskets). It also didnt seem to be very efficient with the fuel and I felt like I burned way to much for what I was doing. It also took a lot of watching, which was ok, except in the middle of the night. Like I said, I liked my offset, I just dont know if I want another one.

I looked at the WSM's as well, but for the money I would rather build a 55gal UDS, which seems to be the same thing, but a couple hundred cheaper.

So I like the efficiency of the BGE, the low maintenance, and the set it and forget it nature when used with a bbq guru setup(which I would for sure be getting). I also like that you can use it as a regular grill for steaks. I dont think I would ever cook pizza in it, but you never know. I also like the lifetime warranty. I just am having trouble with the price tag, but it seems that you get what you pay for usually and I am just trying to gauge if this is one of those things.
VictoryRay
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27 12 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my large BGE for many years now. It is a very versatile cooker. There is nothing that can't be done with it. It will cook steaks at 750deg and pork butts at 225deg.

I love my BGE!

Cooker Fiend
davejschultz
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27 12 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My $0.02...I have been a bullet and offset smoker guy for years. I obtained a small BGE last year from a friend...it needed work. I refurbished it this winter, and HAVE YET to find anything I can't cook on the thing with ease. My only complaint is that it is the small. I WILL be replacing my Webber with a large or XL BGE as soon as it can happen without divorce.

Sunday was a great example of the flexibility and efficiencies of the BGE. Setup indirect in 20 minutes with lump/hickory to smoke some canadian and buck board bacon. After 5 hours, 2/3-3/4 of lump still left. Removed bacon and platesetter rig, open vents, and was grilling at 500+ in 10 minutes.

I won't comment on the whole USA/Foreign argument...that is a personal preference. My comments are simply based on the utility of the BGE as a tool in BBQ/Grilling. If you can't talk yourself into it, buy me an XL and I'll cook for you anytime you want.

Char-Griller Trio 3030 / Masterbuilt 30 Electric / Webber One Touch Gold / Small BGE
Rocko-la
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28 12 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjacobs wrote:
I am digging the efficiency of the BGE(or that style of cooker) as well as the low maintenance.

I did a clean burn on mine, when you're done, it's clean and white like it is brand new. Just load it up with a bag of El Cheapo briquettes and open the vets wide open and leave it till the next day. It gets so hot that it burns off any soot and turns it to ash like a self-cleaning oven. It does burn up the gasket, so if it comes with the crappy gray felt gasket you should change it before you burn it up (makes for easier removal). I haven't tried it with the upgrade Nomex one.

Some say to do this annually, but I don't. I just do it when I feel like it.
Phret Bender
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28 12 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the XL and after a few cooks realized it was too big for the two of us and too heavy to haul to comps. I sold it and went to the large and it's a great size. I use a Stoker with it so temps are super and it runs itself. I had to downgrade to a 5cfm fan for the large, but the 10cfm fan for the XL is now mounted on my UDS. I use it some, but find that I use the pellet pooper for butts, brisket and ribs much more than the BGE. I guess I'm being lazy!
GMG DB
BGE - Large
UDS
Weber Kettle & Gasser
Bigfoot21075

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31 12 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my Large BGE for over 10 years now. While I do own other smokers and grills, if I had to make my own death row meal of ribs, I would sure as heck make it on the BGE.
Superior SS2
Round Boy Wood Fired Oven
black-booger-bbq

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03 12 8:10 am    Post subject: Char-Griller Komado for $299 at Lowes Reply with quote

Have you checked out the new Char-Griller Komados at Lowes? BGE copy, but bigger than the largest BGE model for only $299. Check out youtube for video reviews.
Basset Hound
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03 12 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy it! I have yet to meet anybody who doesn't like their komado cooker. I have a Primo XL and FIL has a L BGE. I have recently been playing with his BGE when we are over for dinner and once you figure out the vents it really is set and forget. The BGE XL is massive, significantly more so than the L. The only downside I have is similar to what Forkin Pork said, I like to mess with the cooker and with komado style there really is nothing to do. Plus, Phret Bender is correct, they are heavy has heck.

Regarding manufacturing, BGE's are manufactured at Daltile's Monterrey, Mexico facility. Daltile is owned by Mohawk Industries. Mohawk Industries is a US based (Calhoun, GA), publicly traded company under the stock symbol MHK on the NYSE. So, buy some stock and enjoy your new cooker!

B.H.

Primo Oval XL
Rocko-la
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03 12 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Char-Griller Komado for $299 at Lowes Reply with quote

black-booger-bbq wrote:
Have you checked out the new Char-Griller Komados at Lowes? BGE copy, but bigger than the largest BGE model for only $299. Check out youtube for video reviews.

The grill on the BGE XL is 24in dia (452sq/in) the Char-Griller is 19 3/4in dia (306 sq/in). So it is NOT larger than the largest BGE model. The Char-Griller has more grilling area than the Lg (which is similar in size) because of it's swing out second tier which is a neat feature. The CG also has a few neat features (including the price) which makes it attractive.
black-booger-bbq

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03 12 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Char-Griller Komado for $299 at Lowes Reply with quote

Quote:
The grill on the BGE XL is 24in dia (452sq/in) the Char-Griller is 19 3/4in dia (306 sq/in). So it is NOT larger than the largest BGE model. The Char-Griller has more grilling area than the Lg (which is similar in size) because of it's swing out second tier which is a neat feature. The CG also has a few neat features (including the price) which makes it attractive.

I stand corrected on that detail. Thanks. The swing out feature is definitely cool. The price point is even cooler. I am certainly considering one.[/quote]
black-booger-bbq

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03 12 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Char-Griller Komado for $299 at Lowes Reply with quote

Quote:

I stand corrected on that detail. Thanks. The swing out feature is definitely cool. The price point is even cooler. I am certainly considering one.
rjacobs
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04 12 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im going to go with either a L or an XL. There is a Primo dealer close to me that also sells BBQ Guru stuff, but they wont return my phone calls or emails so I dont know. I am waiting on my tax refund before I can purchase. Thanks for the advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: