FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beer-Brined Butterflied Chicken
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Chicken Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason_Florida

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29 07 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beer suggestions for this recipe? Or, beers to avoid? The only beer I really drink is Guiness, and somehow I don't think it would work well for this.

I plan on making it tomorrow, and I'm getting the beer today.
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29 07 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think the Guinness would be perfect, but my opinion my be a bit biased...I think Guinness is the perfect beer for anything.

Last night we had some friends over for dinner, and for dessert I made little "beer floats" w/ a couple small scoops of vanilla ice cream w/ Guinness poured over them instead of root beer....everyone thought they were fantastic!! Cool

Gotta thank Southern Living magazine for the idea on that one. Wink
Jason_Florida

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30 07 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsmokenofire wrote:
Personally, I think the Guinness would be perfect, but my opinion my be a bit biased...I think Guinness is the perfect beer for anything.

Last night we had some friends over for dinner, and for dessert I made little "beer floats" w/ a couple small scoops of vanilla ice cream w/ Guinness poured over them instead of root beer....everyone thought they were fantastic!! Cool

Gotta thank Southern Living magazine for the idea on that one. Wink

Eew.
Jason_Florida

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30 07 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to go with Sam Adams Oktoberfest.
StarsandStripes
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02 07 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason_Florida wrote:

And it was good, huh? Man - this is one fabulous recipe.
Jason_Florida

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04 07 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StarsandStripes wrote:
Jason_Florida wrote:

And it was good, huh? Man - this is one fabulous recipe.

Quite.
William

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05 07 11:28 am    Post subject: Pieces Reply with quote

I had a pack of split chicken breast and used this brine for them. It was excellent. It's not just for whole chickens! I'll be cooking some more for the game this weekend.
Megla
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09 07 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an added touch to this, after the first hour of smoking I cover the birds with maple bacon as a basting agent.

http://public.fotki.com/Meglamaniac/smoking/smoking/dsc00556.html

And we all know everything is better with bacon Laughing
txfireguy2003
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05 08 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this recipe today and all I can say is WOW! Best BBQ chicken I've ever made, and maybe the best I've ever eaten. The only thing I did differently was to baste them after about 45 minutes of cooking with a little melted butter to help crisp up the skins, well that and the fact that I made a double batch of the brine to do 3 split chickens that I got at the local HEB for 50 cents a pound! I have about 3/4 gallon of brine left and I think I will be doing this one again. I also threw some potatoes wrapped in foil on the smoker after the chicken came off (since the chicken was done 2 hours before eating time) and cranked the heat up a little bit. Those were some of the best baked taters I have ever eaten!
Jackson
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27 08 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I hate to be the bad guy but i tried this recipe this weekend and i didnt like it at all. The breast came out dry and i didnt feel the rub had good flavor. I even pulled it at 170 in the thigh so im pretty sure i didnt over cook it. There was even standing jucies in parts of the chicken so i dont know how it was dry. I checked all the recipes and i know i did it right. I guess i just have different taste. My family didnt care to much for it either though. Oh well at least i got to try something new. Sorry for the bad news. Thanks for the help and recipe though.
Smokinfunk
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27 08 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...makes me seriously wonder if your thermometer is out of calibration..? You can check by testing it in some ice-water for a reading of 32, or even better check it in some boiling water for 212 (taking into account differences in boiling temperature for whatever elevation above sea level it is where you live). The ice-water method doesn't require adjustment for elevation, but on the other hand just because the thermo may read correctly at freezing doesn't necessarily mean it'll read correctly at the high-end - so I feel it's best to check with both methods.

Or perhaps you have hot and cool areas in your equipment and maybe the breast was over the hot area? If you think that may be it - search for "tuning plates" here in the forum for ways to even out your temps.

Ever since I moved away from beercan chicken to butterflied/brined I've never been happier - I can count on a succulent moist consistency and it lets me play around with different rubs, knowing that all the other variables are optimized. Well - as long as I don't get too drunk while cooking! But I can usually tell if I've gotten too drunk by the presence of leaves and dirt on the chicken when I bring it inside. Wink

Just my $0.02 - hope it may give you some ideas rather than giving up on this technique - it's definitely a winner!
Weber One-touch 22.5" grill
Weber One-touch 26" grill
============================

If God hadn't meant for us to eat animals, He would not have made them out of meat!
Jackson
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29 08 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the chiken on the bottom rack farthest from the firebox but the breast were turned torwards the firebox. I checked my thermo when i first got it which wasnt to long ago and it was correct. I never tried the ice water though. I live in houston, tx so i didnt do any evlevation corrections. Well maybe ill just have to try it again and try a couple things. Thanks for the help.[/img]
r6abusa
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04 08 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried this out this weekend with some ribs and homemade polish sausage.

WSM on a winter morning

Chicken and sausage, and a few thighs

Ribs

beer

jdaniels

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17 08 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried this today on my new WSM. Came out very good, my wife and I were very happy with the results. I used sam adams boston lager for the beer and went with 225-250 for 3 hours and 45 minutes. Actually, i was surprised that the wsm stuck within that range so easily, the thing seems pretty idiot proof.

Thanks for the recipe!
Big Dog BBQ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27 08 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Chicken Recipe is the Bomb!!!!

Tried this yesterday since it was so warm out, (45 degrees and Sunny, It's March in Michigan, what can I say).

Followed the original recipe and slow cooked at 225-250 for 4 1/2 hours.

We start with a fully brined bird

We also used a premium lager, (St. Pauli Girl), at a 5:1 ratio, (the bird got 2 of em', you do the math on the rest)

We follow up with the rub

We flopped the bird on and commenced to working the remainder of the 12 beers purchased for the job

We cooked her on the ECB pictured above. Modified for winter cooking along with a few other Mods, (Thanks AlienBBQ).

And we ended up with the creation above and below

This bird was so moist and flavorful, we couldn't believe it. Thanks for the great recipe.

I highly recommend trying this recipe out to all who read this thread.

"Causing Nightmares for Vegetarians Since 2K"
tjhornikel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30 08 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding recipe! Thank you. My 14 year old son scolded me for not taking the before/after pictures.

My darling wife and three children all loved the chicken. Moist and tender with lots of flavor. My "picky eater", the 11 year old daughter, said, "Daddy, I don't know which I love more...the baked potato or the great chicken." That says a lot. In addition to the beer brined chicken, I took 5 Idahos, brushed them with olive oil, and rubbed them with granulated garlic and chili powder, and put them on the grill on my rib rack above the combination of briquets and hardwood charcoal.

One note of complaint: I was hoping to take the carcass of the chicken and make soup. Forget it. They picked it DRY! LOL!!! I wish to share a heartfelt thanks from our family for a wonderful meal. I will cease and desist from ever beer canning a chicken ever again. No spills and better meals. Thanks!
rcubed3r

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26 08 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any suggestion on which wood to use?
I have alder, apple, hickory, mesquite and pecan.....
Yardbird is brining in the fridge right now.

Ron
GaryC

PostPosted: Thu May 01 08 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking chicken! I love me some Beer can chicken, but I think I'll be trying this soon. Thanks!
Salt Creek Bar-B-Que
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 14 08 11:50 pm    Post subject: Turkey?????????? Reply with quote

Anyone ever tried this on turkey?? It sounds excellent, and idea I might try is to brine and cook the turkey just like chicken, but then chop the white and dark together. Then take the skin and fry up like cracklin (sp?) and mix in with the chopped meat.

Thoughts about this?
Big Dog BBQ

PostPosted: Thu May 15 08 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't tried turkey "YET", but it seems like it would work fine. Your idea of mixing white/dark sounds good as well.

I think I would brine it for the full amount of recommended time or slightly longer since the cuts of meats are larger by nature.

Good Luck, let us know how it turns out

"Causing Nightmares for Vegetarians Since 2K"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Chicken Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: