FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beer-Brined Butterflied Chicken
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Chicken Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whipper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06 06 10:11 am    Post subject: Beer-Brined Butterflied Chicken Reply with quote

I got this out of a magazine and made a couple tweaks. I used to be a die-hard beer can chicken fanatic, but sadly, I'll never bother making one again after trying this! The beer flavor penetrates completely throughout the bird, and the brining results in a more moist bird than the steam from the beer can does.

4-6 lb chicken
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Brine
4 cups hot water
3/4 cup kosher salt
3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
6 bay leaves, crumbled
2 X 12 oz. bottles/cans cold lager beer
1 tray of ice cubes
2 cups cold water

Rub
2 teaspoons sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon dark brown sugar, packed
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
pinch of dried oregano

Butterfly the chicken by cutting on either side of the back bone all the way through and removing. Flip the bird over and press down firmly on it's chest; you should hear the breast bone break.

Combine the salt, sugar, pepper and bay leaves in a medium bowl and add the hot water. Stir until the salt and sugar are dissolved. Add the ice cubes, cold beer and cold water. Place in the fridge and cool it to below the danger zone of 40F.

Place the butterflied chicken in a container, or even better yet, into a large ziploc bag in a large bowl. Pour in the brine, and if using a bag, squeeze out the air and seal and scrunch it into a "ball" so the brine covers it completely. Add some more water if it it's need to cover the chicken. Place in the fridge and allow it to brine for 5-6 hours.

Remove from the brine and rinse off with cold water thoroughly. Pat dry with paper towel, and let sit to air dry for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare your cooker for indirect cooking and preheat to medium heat.

Rub the olive oil all over the bird, then sprinkle the rub onto both sides. Lay the bird out flat in the cooker, skin side up, and cook until the juices run clear and it's 175-180F in the thickest part of the thigh, about an hour. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.

Last edited by Whipper on Tue Sep 06 11 7:51 am; edited 2 times in total
GOON'S BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06 06 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds awesome, I will try that next time!

Tipsy Pig BBQ and Brewery
GOON'S BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06 06 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What tempo are you cooking at? I did some chickens this past weekend and it took me 4.25 hours @ 225-250. The birds came out perfect!

Whipper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07 06 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was mostly around 360F when I cooked this one. Next time I'll try it around 300F like most people seem to do, and see how it compares. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Ric
Thomas P.
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12 06 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you rub under the skin as well or just on top of it?

GO VOLS!
Whipper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12 06 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I didn't. The meat took on so much flavor twith the brine that I wouldn't bother myself, but it's certainly not a bad idea at all... I may just try that next time and see if it makes a noticeable difference.
BeerBaster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19 06 2:44 am    Post subject: Great Recipe! Reply with quote

Thanks VERY much Whipper!

I did thid one yesterday. Two birds in the brine. Finished one with BBQ sauce for the kids. The meat was very tender, moist and flavorful. AWESOME!!

My notes for next time...

1. The rub is really good. I'll use it with no changes.

2. I cut the salt to 1/2 cup and added 1/4 cup of brown sugar. I'll add another Tbs of salt next time... just to try something different.

3. I cooked @ 1.75-2 hours at 300-310. I'll start at 300 the first hour and increase to @330 next time. The skin started to crisp but didn't quite get there. The probe(s) read 185 and 190 degrees when I pulled them but the joints weren't as loose as I'd like. I was afraid to dry out the bird so I pulled them. The wife was reluctant to eat it because there was some redness around the bones where I split the bird. (She was really pissed because I used HER Sam Adams for the brine Smile) I assured her that the probe temps were right but it did put a damper on the meal.

I'd like some input here... Would I have a better chance to keep the moisture in by cooking hotter (@330) for less time or the same temp (@300) longer? Maybe go until the thigh meat reads 200?

Rubbed:

[img][/img]

Finished:

[img][/img]
Mark H
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19 06 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do chicken at 300, but that's just what the gauge in the top of the cooker says. I also rotate chicken halves in and out of the hotspot near the firebox so the skin can crisp up nicely. It takes me about 4 hours to do two, 4lb chickens cut in half. I don't have a probe, so to check doneness I give the leg a twist. When the joint pops easily, they're ready to serve.

You know, I really love contributing to this forum, but sometimes I wonder about the directions I give. I read stuff coming from Alien, and it seems he could describe successful brain surgery on a forum. I'm sort of a twist and poke kind of cook. I hope this helps anyway.
Mark H
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19 06 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you cook to 200, I don't think you'll like the results. The bird will be really dry by then. If you calibrated the probes the temp should have been fine. If you didn't check the probes in ice water or boiling water beforehand, you can check for doneness by piercing the skin at the thigh. If the juices are clear, you're done. If they have any color to them, you need to cook longer. Many times the joints will not "feel" loose on smoked chicken because the skin tightens up so much it restrictes the movement at the joint.
Thomas P.
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20 06 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read in a book once that if you take the chicken, slowly, to 185 it gets that "soft" texture that only low 'n slow, 4 hour chickens have. I've done mine to 185 religiously since, with great results. But never over, and never fast.

Good recipie Whipper, I'm definately trying it out next time.

GO VOLS!
Whipper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21 06 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report and pics BeerBaster, and you're more than welcome for the recipe! I hope you enjoyed it enough to make catchin hell from the wife for stealing her beer all worthwhile! Very Happy

I actually had this again today, and this time tried it around 300F. I'm not sure if it's my imagination or not, but it seemed a little drier with the longer cook time and the skin not as crispy as the last one. I get the red around the leg bones too, even though the thigh's to 185F.

Hope you like it too Thomas!

Ric
BeerBaster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23 06 1:28 am    Post subject: The great chicken debate... Reply with quote

low n slow or fast n furious?

There is a half-decent bbq joint in town we've been to a few times. Their chicken looks the same way. It is a little unnerving to eat when there's bright red around the bones.

If you're still watching this thread Goons... you did the 225 @ 4.5 hours thing. Did you have red @ the bones & joints?

I think I'll turn the chicken the other way on the grill so the wing end is facing the hot spot. Then start it at 225 until the probe reads @ 170 then finish at 350 for crispy skin. Has anyone tried this approach?

I'm open to other ideas. I plan on trying it again this weekend.
Mark H
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23 06 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the chicken was ever frozen or not, will effect the color of and around the bones.
Mark H
BeerBaster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24 06 11:38 pm    Post subject: I'll bet that was it! Reply with quote

The chicken was frozen at the store. Didn't think of that. Thanks Mark!
walknbluez72
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27 06 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this recipe this weekend and I can honestly say that it was the best, moistest, tender, flavorful chicken I've ever had. I do like it better than beer can chicken. It got rave reviews from my wife who kept saying "you have to do this again". I did it at 250 degrees for about 4 hours.
BeerBaster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27 06 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walknblue... how did the skin turn out?
walknbluez72
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27 06 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slightly crispy. I had to go with 250 degrees instead of 300 or so because I had chicken on the bottom grill and some country style ribs on top so I didn't want to go too high on the ribs. If I was doing chicken by itself I may have gone 250 for 3 hours or so and then increased temp last hour to get more crispy.
gordon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17 07 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thinking about doing this sunday. however I will not have time to brine long enough. would it be ok to brine overnight?? it'd be about 12 hours or so.
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18 07 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brine overnite 10-12 hours with equal salt and suger type of brine and me thinks its ok.
On a side note:
When you butter fly that bird leave that butt flap type of skin on the end of the bird and make a slit and tuck each of the legs in each slit. This will keep the legs from flopping around while ya cook and make for a prettier presentation.
Sounds funny but looks like this..... Rolling Eyes

Click em for biggie size. Wink
GOON'S BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21 07 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: The great chicken debate... Reply with quote

BeerBaster wrote:
low n slow or fast n furious?

There is a half-decent bbq joint in town we've been to a few times. Their chicken looks the same way. It is a little unnerving to eat when there's bright red around the bones.

If you're still watching this thread Goons... you did the 225 @ 4.5 hours thing. Did you have red @ the bones & joints?

I think I'll turn the chicken the other way on the grill so the wing end is facing the hot spot. Then start it at 225 until the probe reads @ 170 then finish at 350 for crispy skin. Has anyone tried this approach?

I'm open to other ideas. I plan on trying it again this weekend.

Sorry I have notioced new posts in here. My cook came out great from using 225-275 for 4.5 hours. Nothing red in the bones and joint areas.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Chicken Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: