FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UDS-XT cart build begins(updated 4/05/10)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mwillis
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24 10 5:25 am    Post subject: UDS-XT cart build begins(updated 4/05/10) Reply with quote

You gotta have a way to move the UDS around. So I started building a cart for the UDS-XT.

I wanted a work area beside the smoker for prepping food and to set all the stuff you need while you cook. I am making a 36" x 30" work area that will be a little higher than counter top height. It will be about 41" when finished. I am thinking about getting a peice of granite, or something to use for the counter top, if I can afford it. My first plan was to make a stainless top for it, but I think the granite will will have more cool factor.

Under the work area will be cabinet storage with doors on either side to keep you from having to squat and reach so much. The doors, as well as the skin around the cabinet will be out of aluminum checker plate. The end away from the smoker will have a slot just underneath the counter top that will hide a large wooden cutting board.

I want some fairly substantial wheels to roll on, but don't want pneumatic. The ones on my pressure washer are always flat. Harbor Freight has some 8" x 2" solid cushion wheels that I'm leaning towards. They are 9 1/2" high overall. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46818

The smoker is already so tall I can barely reach the lower rack. With a 9 1/2" tall wheel I thought about setting the drum in a sling of sorts (12ga. sheet metal) that would have the bottom of the drum about 2" off the ground. I changed my mind and added about 6" to the length, so I have a step on the front that puts me on the same level as the smoker. My wheels will have to be pretty much at the corners to maximize stability.

Material of construction so far is 1" x 1" x 16ga. steel tube. It's thin stuff, but seems to be strong enough. It's easy to burn through with the welder though.

That's it for now. Gotta go work on it some more.

I haven't taken any pictures except this one so far. I'll try to take more as I make more progress.

Willis
UDS-XT
XT Cart

Last edited by mwillis on Tue Apr 06 10 9:25 am; edited 4 times in total
Cranky Buzzard
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24 10 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good so far. A work surface adjacent to the pit is hard to beat, and one that is attached is really nice.

Don't under estimate the strength of the 16 ga. square tubing, if the welds are good and you engineer the stress points well it is some stout stuff for things like this.

Granite would be sweet!

Charlie
spunkymunky
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24 10 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your cart/working table idea. Looking forward to seeing the final pictures. Great job so far. Very Happy
NEW UDS (She's a beauty)
Mod. Smoke Cube & Aussie 2 Burner-Lake House
BluzQue
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24 10 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that's lookin' real gooood mwillis!
Keep us updated!

Cool

GOOD MUSIC GOOD FOOD GOOD BEER GREAT FRIENDS

OLE BOY OFFSET SMOKER
WEBER PERFORMER GRILL
WHISKEY BARREL SMOKER
mwillis
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28 10 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang! It's hard to remember to take pictures as you go. I don't see how you guys building the big pits post as much as you do.

Here's a couple of pictures of the progress so far. I pretty much have the frame welded out and welds ground flush.

I am going to have two doors in either side. I will build rectangles from 1" sq. tube and skin them in alum checker plate. Ordered some hinges from McMaster Carr today. There will be a horizontal brace to support a shelf at the mid point. The shelf itself will be out of 14ga. sheet.

Just a few different views.

Willis
UDS-XT
XT Cart
CRITTERTX
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29 10 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice !!! Really good idea, I'd need atv tires to go across my front yard..
250 gal Homemade Offset Trailer
2 UDS
2 Weber Kettles
mwillis
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29 10 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, mine too. I'll mostly just roll it around the patio and maybe up the driveway (gravel) to my shop.

I've been home sick today so I didn't feel like doing any work on it today, but I was thinking.... Shocked
I have a Weber Smokey Joe that I set on a table to get up to where I'm not laying on my belly to use it. I'm thinking about how I may make a quick detach, or something, to mount it to the cart. My first thought is to make a receiver, like a hitch receiver, to slip it in. if I do that I could also make it so I have a stand-alone base to use without the cart. I could make another adapter to add a burner for soups, sauces, lighting the chimney, etc. If y'all have any other ideas, let's hear'em. Idea

I got these hinges http://www.mcmaster.com/#1151a65/=5ksclq today for mounting my doors. Also got these magnetic latches http://www.mcmaster.com/#order-history/=5ksdss to keep them shut.

As I said, I will build rectangle frames for the doors that will sit inside the opening in the frame. The pivot for the hinge will be outside of the frame about 1/4", so hopefully I won't have any problem with binding while being able to keep as small a gap as possible between the panels covering the doors and cabinet. What is everybody's recommendation of how to fit the door frames together? I am leaning toward coping the pieces as opposed to cutting 45 deg. angles. Strength really isn't an issue, but I think it will be easier to make them fit together tightly. Maybe not. Opinions anyone?

I am thinking about buying a UHMW cutting board http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230418226370&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT. Cost-wise this seems to be the most economical I could find. McMaster Carr has UHMW sheet, but it is a higher price. I like the idea of the 3/4" thickness. Do you think it is better with the thickness? Should I go thinner? Are there pros and cons to consider on thickness? I'll use a non-skid drawer liner to keep it from sliding around when in use. I can lay it on top of the board when I stow it under the countertop.

I'm thinking about doing a couple of backyard comps this year and this will be my workhorse. If you have any ideas of features I can build into it, throw them at me. Been looking at Jeepdad's "wonderbox" for ideas. It's easier to do it now than to modify it later. For example, I am thinking about how I can attach my remote thermometer displays rather than just lay them on the countertop. No need to waste my counter space if I don't need to.

Anyway, this is a long post for not having done anything today. I look forward to seeing all the ideas you guys come up with.

Willis
UDS-XT
XT Cart
Cranky Buzzard
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29 10 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwillis wrote:
Dang! It's hard to remember to take pictures as you go. I don't see how you guys building the big pits post as much as you do.

Willis

How do we find time to post pics? During the ANGER and MADNESS points of metal NOT working as it should, the interruptions of life, and MORE metal not working as it should we tend to step back and take a picture or 2. That keeps us from getting the demo torch out and making scrap metal! Shocked

Looks like the base is coming along well and you seem to have a great plan. Looking forward to the end result.

Charlie
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29 10 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwillis, I love your cart fantastic idea Very Happy Some where close to the drum you might think about adding a piece of tubing to hold an umbrella for cooking on nasty days. You are doing an outstanding job and I will be watching for more updates. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
mwillis
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29 10 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea on the umbrella. I actually have an old umbrella from a retired patio set that I can use. I need to have some kind of way to hold the drum in place anyway, so I should be able to incorporate the umbrella stand into that.

My biggest stumbling block right now is going to be the granite top. If you watch some of these shows on HGTV where they are doing a budget kitchen make-over, it never fails that they come up with a piece of granite that was a remnant piece and they get it for $50, or so. I don't think I will be as lucky as they are. Probably has something to do with kissing TV show butt.

Keep it coming.

Willis
UDS-XT
XT Cart
Jon D. Q.
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29 10 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your project really looks great. It would appear that you may be guilty of removing the Ugly out of the UDS.
mwillis
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30 10 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took off of work a little early today. We are on the southern edge of a winter storm and getting some sleet and freezing rain, plus I'm still recovering from my sick day yesterday. What better way to get over a cold than to breathe a bunch of metal dust.

Decided to cope the joints on the doors. Here are a couple of pictures of the fitment of the door frames.

The door sitting in the hole.

I'll get another door fitted up tonight..... maybe. I'm still about 20 feet shy of having enough 1 x 1 tube. I guess I'll pick that up on Monday. I'll need that to finish the other two doors.

Did not get the casters today?????? I guess that'll come on Monday and I'll do the plates for them to mount to then. Getting close to finishing the frame. Gotta think more about the extra stuff I want to do, finish all that and then paint it.

Fixing to throw a couple of ribeyes on the Smokey Joe for dinner.

Willis
UDS-XT
XT Cart
mwillis
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14 10 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got to do some more work on the cart today. I hurt my back a little the last time I worked on it. Had some spasms that were a killer. Then got a cold. Anyhow, I haven't been quite up to working out in the shop for a while now.

I welded on plates for my wheels to mount on, and welded the expanded metal where the UDS-XT will sit.

I priced the aluminum for the skin around the cabinet area..... let's just say it will be a while before I get that on there. It's $95 per sheet, need two sheets. I can't wait to see what the granite will cost. Gonna have to save up a little to finish this bad boy.

Here it is with the UDS-XT sitting in place. The counter height will be 40", just a little higher than standard counter top height. There is plenty of room to stand in front of the UDS-XT when loading/unloading.

Here is a close-up of the one door that I have mounted.

I have to figure out how to hold the UDS-XT in place when on the cart. Also thinking about making a mount of sorts for my thermometers. Anyway, thats all for tonight. More to do this week.

Willis
UDS-XT
XT Cart
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14 10 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwillis, Your cart is looking fantastic Very Happy This is a fantastic idea that you have come up with. I look forward to seeing some more updates. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
pigalicous

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14 10 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool
BluDawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14 10 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea, nice design, But honestly dude your shop is way to clean Razz Laughing
Webber 22 OTS
Memorial UDS "Big Jim"
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14 10 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice work man but you defiantly need a few old cars to get in the way but a clean shop is way easier to work in
CRITTERTX
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14 10 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin good, really good idea.. ready to see (smell) some action pics.. keep the pics coming..
250 gal Homemade Offset Trailer
2 UDS
2 Weber Kettles
eccho108
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15 10 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love what you're doing, but I gotta ask>How did you explain to the little woman that you needed a $400 cart to hold your $90 UDS.LOL Keep on keeping on my brother! Laughing Laughing

WSM 18.5 CA.
Broil King 5 burner gasser CA.
7Qt. Lodge DO
mwillis
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15 10 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was telling a friend of mine what I was building today and we joked about the same thing. I'll have $500 in a cart for my $50 smoker. Cool Funny stuff!

Willis
UDS-XT
XT Cart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: