FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kobe brisket

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03 06 12:27 pm    Post subject: Kobe brisket Reply with quote

Last week at the Great American BBQ contest, my partner cooked up a Kobe brisket that looked so good raw I wanted to eat it then. It was good cooked too. It didn't place as high as hoped, but it didn't cook like a regular brisket should have either. It cooked a lot faster so he had to adjust his cooking accordingly, which threw his routine off, which ultimately probably had the biggest effect on the resulting product. It also had a big slice through the prime part of the brisket for turn in which affected slice appearance and juiciness since it was the thickest part of the flat.

Regardless, it was good, and when I was telling the wife about it she and I started drooling, so this weekend we picked up a Kobe brisket to cook at home for ourselves. I thought I'd share the cooking of it with y'all for reference purposes. It may or may not come out good, but at least you'll have what I did as a point of reference.

Here is a slideshow of pictures for your viewing pleasure.
http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/share.do?invite=zEar4H5um5U5Uz3700MU&shareName=MMS2&sharePage=slideShow

The first shot is the Kobe brisket in cryovac fat-side up. Amazingly enough, this one was the best selection today. It has a lot of fat trimmed off already, and is really broad, but kinda thin all over. The others were even thinner according to my wife. She does not remember the price per pound or the overall weight (bad wife), but the total cost was $55.00 (that is known for a fact).

The second and third shots are of the stamps on the cryovac. It is USDA Prime, Kobe from KBA.

The fourth shot is the other side of the brisket still in cryovac. I provided the Universal BBQ Measurement (beer can) for your reference to size the brisket.

The 5th shot is a close-up of the meat showing the great marbling of fat throughout the meat. Yes, it is like this EVERYWHERE on the meat!!! Cool

The 6th shot is another close up but after I removed the brisket from the cryovac so you can see it better. I have to say, when I pulled that thing out of the cryovac, it smelled SO GOOD! I have never had a brisket smell this good before. It was very fresh and beefy smelling.

I trimmed the brisket which is something I don't normally do. The reason I did this was because I figured with all that marbling, a little trimming wouldn't hurt and I could get more bark out of it.

I applied a good layer of rub. My rub was Salt, Black Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Instant Coffee crystals, Paprika and Chile Powders, Cumin, Coriander, and a couple other things for good measure!

I'll be starting the cook tomorrow night. I'll keep you posted.
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03 06 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Kobe brisket Reply with quote

WoooDoggy wrote:
Last week at the Great American BBQ contest, my partner cooked up a Kobe brisket that looked so good raw I wanted to eat it then. It was good cooked too. It didn't place as high as hoped, but it didn't cook like a regular brisket should have either. It cooked a lot faster so he had to adjust his cooking accordingly, which threw his routine off, which ultimately probably had the biggest effect on the resulting product. It also had a big slice through the prime part of the brisket for turn in which affected slice appearance and juiciness since it was the thickest part of the flat.

I hope it wasn't the first time he cooked one, but it sounds like it. The GAB is not the time to experiment. You describe it exactly, it does cook faster. And those that cook with it don't necessarily score higher.

And that's the reason I open my briskets at home and inspect. If there's such a huge slice in the middle, I probably wouldn't do that one in a contest. Contests are about making adjustments.

Looking forward to the report.

But you've rubbed it already and cooking it tomorrow night? I don't rub my briskets that far ahead.

Smokin'
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03 06 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you described what happened at the GAB perfectly. He knew it was going to cook faster but wasn't told exactly how much faster. His dad bought the brisket for him the day before the contest and I think he just got too excited thinking about it and decided to cook it at the show. He also cooked a regular brisket just in case, and after tasting both he decided to turn in the Kobe one but brushed with some of the drippings from the other one. He started the Kobe 3 hours later than the regular one, but it wanted to cook much faster than that.

Well shoot Russ, now you got me all worried about my brisket with the rub going on so early. I hope I didn't screw it up! I can't start the cook until this evening after a Scout picnic. I put the rub on last night since I'm going to be away form home all day. I considered putting the rub on just before tossing on the cooker, but then I thought that an extra 10 hours or so of rub can't really hurt, right? Your feedback on the effect of this is appreciated.
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04 06 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, not "trying" to scare you. Might actually come out fine. My stuff I don't like to rub too far in advance. It usually turns to a paste consistency and that's because it's pulling juice out of the brisket (my theory)

All depends on the ingredients I guess.

Depends on salt in the rub.

You love to experiment, so see how it compares to what you do. I know of few cooks who actually rub their brisket down for at least 8 hours prior, some even longer.

Let us know.

Russ
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04 06 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback Russ, much appreciated. I'm hoping I'll be allright, when I unwrapped the brisket there was very little juice in the bag, just one small puddle maybe a tablespoon in size or so. I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens texture-wise, salt was the main ingredient in the rub.

The brisket's on. The probe on my second wireless thermo crapped out on me, so I have my only working wireless tracking pit temp. I stuck a trusty ole meat thermo into the brisket so I can track its internal temp when I pop the hood during refueling. Its lowest temp rading is 120 though, so until the meat hits that temp I can't say for sure what temp it is internal. Kind of a bummer, I wanted to track the brisket internal much closer than that. Oh well.

Here's the log of the cook so far. I am using Royal Oak lump and small sticks of Oak, Cherry and Pecan:

10:45 Cooker 109* - Firebox started
10:50 Cooker 153*
10:55 Cooker 186*
11:00 Cooker 212*
11:05 Cooker 234* - Brisket put in cooker fat side up
11:10 Cooker 208*
11:15 Cooker 221*
11:20 Cooker 231*
11:25 Cooker 235*
11:30 Cooker 236*
11:35 Cooker 232*
11:40 Cooker 229*
11:45 Cooker 223* - Refueled
11:50 Cooker 200*
11:55 Cooker 235*
12:00 Cooker 242*
12:05 Cooker 249*

As always, my pit runs a bit low temperature wise on it's first load of fuel and has to be refueled after only an hour. The second and subsequent batches get me to the temps I'm looking for and I normally have to refuel every 1.5 hours. The pit normally takes around 15 minutes to get all the way to temp after opening the cooker door, so as you can see I will be cooking at around 250*.
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04 06 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12:30 Cooker 255
12:45 Cooker 244
1:00 Cooker 226, Brisket 120 - Refueled
2:30 Cooker 213, Brisket 150 - Refeuled
4:00 Cooker 226, Brisket 170 - Refeuled
5:30 Cooker 242, Brisket 190 - Brisket double wrapped in foil, wrapped in towel and put in cooler to rest for 4 to 6 hours while I get some shut-eye. Brisket will be brunch today.

So the Kobe brisket cooked to an internal temp of 190 in only 6.5 hours at 225-250. I cooked to 190 because the wife and I really like the brisket fall apart tender. For that I would normally let the brisket go to 195, but I'm figuring the Kobe will be more tender so I pulled at 190.

I'm going to go unwrap the brisket and slice it now.
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05 06 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never let meat sit wrapped in the cooler over 4 hours just because most everyone who I asked about it said they would leave the meat in the cooler up to 4 hours. I was never given any hard rules about what temps they get after so long. I heard a couple people recently talk about leaving their meat in the cooler up to 6 hours! I'mnot sure if they do this because they have a better cooler or what, but I thought I would go 4.5 hours today and take the brisket temp when I pulled it out. After 4.5 hours in the cooler, double wrapped in foil and wrapped in a towel, the brisket was 150*. It was still in the safe range, but not a temp I was all too comfortable leaving the brisket at. I sliced it up, served, and wrapped the rest and put in the freezer to cool down to safe temps. I won't be leaving meat in the cooler over 4 hours again any time soon unless I get a better cooler to store the meat in.

The Kobe brisket was truly incredible! All four of the tasters loved it, and we all thought it tasted more like steak than brisket. It was real beefy flavored like brisket, but the texture was more like steak, and the marbling of fat throughout made the flavor in the meat really outstanding. I thought it was a very good brisket, and perhaps you could get similar results with CAB, or a regular Prime brisket perhaps, but I don't know. The other 3 tasters all thought it was head and shoulders above my past briskets, but they say that almost every time I cook brisket. I'm sure we'll be doing this again. I would like to try a CAB before doing this again though.

I updated the slideshow (above) with a shot of 4 of the slices.
Ranucci's Big Butt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06 06 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that sounds good, soon as I saw the post that said Kobe brisket my mouth was watering. Slices looked good. Did you mop at all?

Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ
www.ranuccis.com
www.bigbuttbbq.com
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06 06 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't use any mop, just rub and smoke.
Cal Q

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22 06 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you buy a Kobe Brisket? I've found some places on-line that sell Kobe beef, but no one who sells brisket.
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22 06 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get mine from a local butcher who sells Kobe beef. I'm not really sure how you could get some online, as I have just gone to the butcher to get all mine.
G's BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15 07 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cal Q wrote:
Where do you buy a Kobe Brisket? I've found some places on-line that sell Kobe beef, but no one who sells brisket.

BEst brisket Ive ever eaten in my life

http://secure.abfoodsusa.com/ABCommerce/products?wicket:interface=wicket-0:1::
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: