FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't get temps above 200

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhilipWicker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06 10 7:59 am    Post subject: Can't get temps above 200 Reply with quote

I have an offset brinkmann snp pro with a baffle and tuning plates and I have the hardes damn time getting the cooking chamber temp above 200 degrees. Any help would be great.
tnbarbq
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06 10 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the stack wide open? If not, open it up and keep it open. Control temps using the air intake on the fire box.
Is there a grate for the charcoal/wood? You may want to make a charcoal box or rig something to make sure the fuel has enough air.
What are you using for fuel? I would avoid bricketts. Too much ash which can restrict air flow in a firebox on these things.
There's my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps!
Brinkman Bullet
keeptim

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06 10 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was havening the same issues in my offset smoker when I first got her. I soon learned that I needed to keep the exhaust vent open and to use the intake vent to control the temp. Then to get a better air flow, I raised the gate in the fire box about 3 or so inches which helped with the airflow. Also, I went to using lump coal instead of the briquettes. Briquettes seem to have a lot of ash and clog things up.

Hope this helps ya!!
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06 10 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your baffles and tuning plate could also be slowing down the flow of heat.does it get up to temp with out them?If your opening from the firebox to the cook chamber is blocked or too small that will cause the heat problem too.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Old Smoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06 10 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing about the tuning plates, maybe they are to tight and not letting enough heat and smoke through. Actually you can burn charcoal with the right set up, I burn it all the time, thats why I think it may be the baffle. It's true with any kind of fuel though, if it doesn't get good air flow and ash fall off, it'll choke down your fire.
LIAR #29
------------------------------
bru401

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06 10 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same issue in the reverse flow I just built, I think I will try and raise the grate in the firebox to see if this helps I am able to get to 250, but it was a nice day and I would like to push it to 350 just to see if possible.

Do people add charcoal as time goes on?
feldon30
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06 10 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't get temps above 200 Reply with quote

PhilipWicker wrote:
I have an offset brinkmann snp pro with a baffle and tuning plates and I have the hardes damn time getting the cooking chamber temp above 200 degrees.

Are you using a trusted, standalone thermometer, or the built-in gauge on the lid?

The built-in gauge is not only poorly placed (the temperature at grill height is more useful than the temperature at the top of the smoker), but they're cheap and usually not accurate.

You may well be hitting 350F, yet be getting a reading < 200F on the built-in thermo.
PhilipWicker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06 10 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My firebox has a raised grate, and I don't use any briquettes any more. I switched to royal oak. I usually keep a pretty close watch on my ash and I can usually tell when that has become a factor, but I was struggling with the temps early on. I did what was supposed to be a relatively quick cook. A beer can chicken at around 300 degrees for about 3 hours. I immediately could not get the smoker above 200. That is when I posted this.

I am using a teltru gauge that has been repositioned down to the actual grate level. I plugged the old hole where the cheap original one was. I managed to finally get the temps up to 300. It took about 3 chimneys full of lump right after another. I basically had to flood the firebox with hot coals. My tuning plates are not tightly arranged so I am puzzled as to how my temps would not come up. The one thing that I do question is my firebricks. I have placed 2 firebricks below the tuning plates to "help" maintain temps, but would those firebricks be restricting airflow?

Here is link to all the mods I did to my brinkmann:

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38564&sid=9c20e784f6a5bf4f55f901ca7508e62b
feldon30
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06 10 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.

Sounds like your on the case (and clearly out of my area of knowledge). I'd trust your instinct , pull the fire bricks and see what happens.
Jet_deck
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07 10 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the looks of your pictures, two fire bricks would just about cut off all the air needing to flow underneath your tuning plate. Take the bricks out. You don't really need any heat retention in that area, your sitting right next to the firebox.

Stumps Clone - Rotisserie Version
WSM
http://www.radiofreetexas.org/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: