FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Butter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Dessert Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MooniesBBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Nov 05 2009    Post subject: Apple Butter Reply with quote

Something is always on sale at the grocery store, this time it happened to be apples. I grew up on homemade apple butter, and as an adult it's one of my favorite things. It's super easy to make, so here goes!

Peel and core apples, it helps to have an apple peeler like the one I got from Target for $20.

After you have peeled and sliced the apples, put them in a large pan on the stove with 2 cups of water. Turn stove on medium heat and cover stirring every five minutes.

As soon as the apples are cooked through and soft you can use a potato masher(the hard way) or a handheld blender(the easy way) to make applesauce.

Pour the applesauce into a crock pot and turn on medium or low heat. My crock pot only has low and high, always error on the side of low - never turn on high, burnt apple butter is nasty Smile. Add 1 cup sugar, 1 tbls cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground cloves, and 1/2 tsp of allspice. I like a mild flavor, if you like cloves more then me add more. Put skewers across the crock pot and place the lid on after you've stirred in the spices. You want the moisture to escape, but still want a cover so you don't splatter. Reduce 6-12 hours until you reach the desired consistency that you like. Process in a water bath and store.

We give this and jam out as Christmas gifts, it's cheap, people love it, and it's rewarding to give something you didn't just go to walmart and buy! Oh, and probably the best benefit is making your house smell WONDERFUL.

Enjoy.

Moonie
SmokeHound
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Nov 05 2009    Post subject: Re: Apple Butter Reply with quote

I am SO gonna do that!!!

Question: have you ever tried different apple varieties?? I'm wondering if Red and Braeburns would be good????

New Braunfels stick burner
Weber-Smokey Joe
TBD-wishlist

~~~ and a big fat LIAR, too! ~~~
MooniesBBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Nov 05 2009    Post subject: Re: Apple Butter Reply with quote

SmokeHound wrote:
I am SO gonna do that!!!

Question: have you ever tried different apple varieties?? I'm wondering if Red and Braeburns would be good????

You can do any apple as long as it's not tart. Step away from the granny smiths!

Moonie
paulfinn31

PostPosted: Jan 13 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have shown this recipe to my wife. It's mouth watering and I would like taste it now. Laughing
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Feb 10 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is some good lookin' apple butter. Just need fresh hot buttered biscuits and a jar of that and I would be in heaven. Well maybe served with a Porterhouse and a baked potato. Rolling Eyes

Just checked out the local store ad, 5# for $2.99. Red delicious, Jonagold or Ida Red. Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry but a little off topic, but I have a peeler like that, only a vice type mount. I bought it at a yard sale for $5. No instructions, works great but how do you make it core the apple? I haven't figured that one out yet. Embarassed

Edit:

Thanks for the help.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
missionsusmc
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Feb 22 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

It ain't apple butter 'less it's cooked in a cast iron cauldron/pot over a hickory fire for several hours. You gotta stir it with a big wooden paddle. Crock pot apple butter doesn't hold a candle to the real thing. Although, it's not always practical to tend a fire and stir for several hours.

Mary had a little lamb, a little brisket, a little ribs, and boy she was full!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Dessert Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: