FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

traeger question: how to generate bark?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yukoff
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 22 06 1:09 am    Post subject: traeger question: how to generate bark? Reply with quote

for all the traeger owners, are you able to get a bark forming when doing ribs or butts? I've done two batches of ribs and one butt (yesterday), but no bark, the outside of the product is usually hard and hammy. Wondering if this is a limitation of traeger by not using real wood/charcoal. I usually smoke around temperature of 240-270.
yukoff
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 22 06 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after doing some more searching on this forum, I'm questioning my definition of "bark". Is bark considered burnt ends?
skybob
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 24 06 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bark is the combination of the rub, the fat, and the smoke, at least that's what I believe it is. On this brisket, I used the KC Masterpiece Rub and it came out very well. I did this in my Lil Tex, smoked it for about 6 or 7 hours to get the smoke into it and then wrapped it and put it in the oven for about another 5 hours at 225. My wife had me doing some fool errands and the time got away from me a little. Internal temperature was a little over 200 degrees. The meat was very tender and tasty and not dry at all.
Here's a picture of the large end of a 14# brisket as I was slicing it. You can see the nice smoke ring and the bark.
[/img]
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 24 06 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: traeger question: how to generate bark? Reply with quote

yukoff wrote:
Wondering if this is a limitation of traeger by not using real wood/charcoal.

You are using real wood. The pellets are 100% wood.

Bark is not burnt ends. Burnt ends are bark (bark on a brisket). Burnt ends are the point of the brisket that is essentially overcooked until they are very tender. The outside of BE's tend to be very smoky.

Like skybob said, it's a function of a lot of things. Look at the specific temp you are cooking at, the makeup of your rub, how long you're cooking, the specific meat. Bark on a butt cooked 12 hours won't be the same as ribs for 4 hours.
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed May 24 06 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: traeger question: how to generate bark? Reply with quote

SmokinOkie wrote:
yukoff wrote:
Wondering if this is a limitation of traeger by not using real wood/charcoal.

You are using real wood. The pellets are 100% wood.

They are??...are you sure??? Wink
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 24 06 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ONE grand championship and you give us pelletheads grief...

...oh wait, you did that BEFORE the championship.
Confused
walters
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 26 06 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yukoff-

I have had my Traeger for about a year now. At first the tough leathery bark was a problem with ribs. However, I have never had a problem with bark formation on butts.

The solution for me on ribs was to use foil for 60-90 minutes during the cooking time. I normally smoke for 2 hours, foil for 60-75 minutes, and then return to smoke for the remainder of the cook. The ribs come off VERY good.

As for the butts, I will smoke for several hours, and then kick it up to 250 for the remainder of the cook. One thing that I have found with the Traeger is that I am unable to get the level of smoke flavor that I can with my WSM.

I have found that the Traeger is a REALLY REALLY good grill, and simply a good smoker (not REALLY good, just good). Thatís just my opinion though. Otherís will swear by its ability to smoke. For me, the two draw backs are itís lack of smoke penetration, and itís inability to maintain a temp over 200 degrees on the smoke setting.

Hope this helps,

Robb
skybob
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 26 06 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to agree with the observation about how good it will perform as a smoker. On my old offset smoker, I'd have great smoke within about 4 hours, now on my Traeger, I need about 6-7 hours to get the same smoke. I normally smoke the briskets for 6-7 hours and then wrap it and put it in the oven for the rest of the time. No sense burning pellets when the oven does it much cheaper with the same result.
The best part of the entire thing is that I can start the Traeger at midnight when I get off work, drink a couple beers and hit the rack. When I get up in the morning, the brisket is ready for the oven and when lunchtime rolls around, MAN!!!! Great eating at my house.
I asked my Traeger salesman about wrapping some pellets in tin foil and putting it on top of the diffuser so I could get more smoke, and he nearly went ballistic, said it couldn't be done. I'm a gonna try it anyway next time I smoke. Very Happy
yukoff
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 26 06 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got some good points from above. I agree, i wouldn't mind a bit more smoke flavor, maybe i should mix and max my pellets as well. I also should try different rubs/marinades as well. been reading about injecting, so i may give that shot. thx.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri May 26 06 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with smokadelic Mike, glad I have a log burner! Wink

No bark problems here! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: