FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cleaning my new smoker grates.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdupont

PostPosted: Fri May 26 06 10:19 pm    Post subject: Cleaning my new smoker grates. Reply with quote

Hey everybody glad I found this site. I have been a casual smoker for the past couple years using a Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain smoker. I have recently upgraded to a Bar-b-chef. Did some ribs and chicken last week and this weekend will be doing a but and some brisketts. I have a question on cleaning the grates. The instuctions say to clean with boiling water and soap. This isnt very easy with those big iron grates. With my old smoker I just scrubbed them with a wire brush and put them in the dishwasher. I know with these being cast iron i cant do that. How do yall usually clean them.

Thanks for the help
Mike
doogie494
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 26 06 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the site. i would heat them up and scrub with just water. then re-season with a cover with a coat of pam or a cooking oil. when i did mine a week ago, i got them as hot as i could and wire brushed them. then i fired up the rig and let them season for two hours or so with charcoal and hickory.
Hogwild
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 26 06 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For reseasoning do as doogie said. If you really want to get them cleaned off, seasoning and all, run them through an oven self-cleaning cycle.

For routine maintenance I brush lightly after the cook, then wipe them down good with paper towels. This will leave the seasoning on and leave a light coat of oil on them, too.
doogie494
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 26 06 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hogwild wrote:
If you really want to get them cleaned off, seasoning and all, run them through an oven self-cleaning cycle.

i did mine on the gas grill, thats the only use i have for it lately. Laughing
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat May 27 06 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely not use soap to cast iron grates. I would just heat them up to a higher temperature (throw on some coal and open all the vents at the end of your next cook) and wire brush them.
newmeat
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 27 06 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once the meat comes off I remove the remote thermometer and bring the temp of the cooker up to around 300. Then I hit it with a garden hose to steam it, then wire brush the grates, then open the drain valve into a bucket. I then button up the cooker to let it dry and smoke. When I do it this way I never get any mold or fungus in the cooker. Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: