FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electric smoker vs 22.5 WSM
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marshallbbq
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16 09 10:30 pm    Post subject: Electric smoker vs 22.5 WSM Reply with quote

Which would you buy and electric or the 22.5 WSM? I have a buddy in the market. I told him hands down the 22.5 WSM.
Large BGE
Medium BGE
UDS
Ducan gasser.
day_trippr
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16 09 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a layup: the WSM.

btw: it's spelled "amateur"...

Cheers
Thumper
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16 09 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

day_trippr wrote:
That's a layup: the WSM.

btw: it's spelled "amateur"...

Cheers

+ 1 on the WSM over the electric. I like to have a smoke ring for the look of it. Can't get that on any electric I used (naturally).
...Smoke...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16 09 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say both, I have a cheap electric L J that does trout and small pieces of salmon. Then the drums for every thing else lol.
The kettle works well for grilling just thought i would throw that in as well.
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16 09 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think "heat control"

Is he the kind of guy who wants to learn heat control and have all the varieties of things he can do with that OR does he want more a "set it forget it" style.

Really depends on what he wants.
Beertooth
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17 09 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would say WSM hands down.
18.5" WSM (Stoked)
22.5" WSM
85 Gallon UDS
Weber Smokey Joe/Mini WSM
Cast Iron Cookware
24" Disc Cooker
Masterbuilt 40" Electric
Char-Griller Akorn
JazzCat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17 09 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, WSM all the way.

Beertooth, fabulous display of all your photos! Quite remarkable. Weel done!
JazzCat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17 09 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s/b WELL DONE!
Toga
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17 09 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on what he wants. The difference between an electric smoker and a charcoal smoker is night and day. You get more flavor from the charcoal smoker but have a little more of a learning curve. With electric you turn it on and add some wood chips or chunks to add some smoke flavor, it has consistant temp and there is no need to monitor any temps other than the the meat. If he decides charcoal is the route he wants to go rather than a WSM I would suggest building a UDS. Easy to build costs less far less than a WSM, you get the satisfaction of cooking on somehting you built, and the money you will save by building one will pay for your charcoal for a very long time.

UDS
ECB x2
Gasser
chILLinNgrILLin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17 09 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a no brainer, I'd go with the wsm all the way Razz

-CnG
Cranky Buzzard
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17 09 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmokinOkie wrote:
Think "heat control"

Is he the kind of guy who wants to learn heat control and have all the varieties of things he can do with that OR does he want more a "set it forget it" style.

Really depends on what he wants.

Okie has a good point. I have one friend that simply wants to put the meat in the box, drop in the pucks, and then go watch football until it's time to eat.

Then there are those of us that live to tend the fire, check the temps, and shake in anticipation of the creation we made... Ok, maybe a little overkill, but you know what I mean... Wink

I go WSM if I had to choose between the 2.

Charlie
day_trippr
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17 09 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I "hear" what's being said about "ease of use" and "temperature control", but I've read a whole lot of electric smoker threads (and I mean specifically those that use heating elements - not fuel-burners that have electric starters and/or augers) there's not a lot of satisfaction being expressed therein.

In fact frustration seems to prevail one way or the other: cold smokers that run too hot, hot smokers that run too cold, fixed thermostats, etc. I'd rather go with something that is almost universally respected...

Cheers
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17 09 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

day_trippr wrote:
...there's not a lot of satisfaction being expressed therein. In fact frustration seems to prevail one way or the other: cold smokers that run too hot, hot smokers that run too cold, fixed thermostats, etc. Cheers

Pretty general, all encompasing remark. I know that's not true in our Cookshack Electric forums, and I'd venture to say "it depends" in the other forums because not all tools fit all needs.

I'm certainly not advocating one over the other (I run the other forum for free because I love talking Q) and as I stated I'm more about fitting their needs. I've seen enough people complain about how quote Hard unquote it is to use a WSM or other charcoal unit. We all know it's not, it's about learning how to use what you have. True of electrics too.

marshall, just find out what he wants to do, especially quantity and type of food. then send him here to learn how to do it (if you're not teaching him)
KAKid
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18 09 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a newbie (3 cooks), here was my logic. I went with a Cajun Injector Electric (650 watt element) with 1 inch foam insulation. Sorta looks like a masterbuilt.
I plan on using it all year long. It's (choose your expletive) cold here in SD in the winter. I can peek out the window to monitor temperature. No open flame near the house (I have it on a steel pan on the porch). I can concentrate on meat prep and cooking times. FOR ME, it was a no brainer.
That being said, NOW that I'm getting more and more into smoking, I am now making plans (don't tell Mrs KAKid Shocked ) to get a WSM or something similar to use in the summer so I can sit outside and drink beer and still make it seem I'm doing something productive. Wink Then I only have to learn Fire/Temp control (one learning curve at a time).
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Chargriller Outlaw w/SFB and Mods
Pair of UDS's
10 gal CI Chili/Jambalaya pot
day_trippr
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18 09 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmokinOkie wrote:
Pretty general, all encompasing remark. I know that's not true in our Cookshack Electric forums, and I'd venture to say "it depends" in the other forums because not all tools fit all needs.

Of course, my conclusion was clearly general wrt scope. But it was supported by specifics gleaned from others' reports. I don't have any particular axe to grind about electrics per se, but if you read through the threads I found in the forums here, I can't see you coming to an overall favorable conclusion wrt electric smokers in general, and certainly not wrt a WSM.

But this was the only site I referenced, of course, so bias is certainly conceivable, I can't disagree...

Cheers!
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18 09 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

day_trippr wrote:
I "hear" what's being said about "ease of use" and "temperature control", but I've read a whole lot of electric smoker threads (and I mean specifically those that use heating elements - not fuel-burners that have electric starters and/or augers) there's not a lot of satisfaction being expressed therein.

In fact frustration seems to prevail one way or the other: cold smokers that run too hot, hot smokers that run too cold, fixed thermostats, etc. I'd rather go with something that is almost universally respected...

Cheers

I was unable to relocate an offset that I had when I bought my house so I purchased an electric smoker which I used for mabey a year with very frustrating results. Temperature control was inconsistent and flavor of smoke just wasn't right. I ultimatly modified it and used it as a charchol smoker and was more satisfied with the Q. I would go with the WSM or a UDS for sure. Also you can't always take an electric smoker with you somewhere cause there ain't always power. JM2C
feldon30
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08 09 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to start a new topic, but this one seems so close to the same issues I'm looking at.

If I were living in a house, I'd have bought the WSM 22 already. But I'm in a 3rd floor apartment with a wood deck/patio and I'd rather not get to be on a first-name basis with the Fire Marshall and/or Sheriff.

I'm not sure he/she would take my word for it if I told them it's an electric. I think they'd want a closer inspection and once the door is open, the charcoal would be pretty hard to hide. Wink

I'm not trying to be unsafe. If I could get away with charcoal, I'd put either patio stones or cinder blocks and a metal sheet so no hot coals or ash has any chance of causing issues.

I just want some decent Q, and a 12 hour smoke would probably draw attention. So at this point I'm facing going electric until I get back into permanent lodgings.

I had an idea that will probably evoke horror...

If I bought a WSM and jury-rigged a heating element and maybe some lava rocks, what would that give me? Could I put small hickory chunks on top of the lava rocks?

Am I better off just getting a cheap electric smoker, maybe wrap it in a blanket, and then donate it to some poor soul when I can get a WSM proper? Any ideas appreciated.
Toga
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08 09 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feldon30 If in an apartment get a cheap o electric. I bought an electric brinkman for my father and he absolutely loves it. If you can spend a bit more I'd look at a cookshack. They make a nice electric.

UDS
ECB x2
Gasser
feldon30
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08 09 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.

I've been poking around TSR doing some searches...

Are there any mods for an electric ECB to make it better?

The Cookshack Smokette SM20 is probably an awesome unit, but I don't have $525.

Maybe I need to talk to hvac81. He's only about an hour away and is building an electric. Wink
feldon30
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09 09 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the best deal on the electric ECB is $70 and there's only one model (the red one)? Can't wait to get back to a house. Sad

Ugh, this decision was getting easy until I read this thread:
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23967
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: