FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to really build a hot fire in my weber?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soybomb
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11 09 6:18 am    Post subject: How to really build a hot fire in my weber? Reply with quote

Before I started using my weber kettles I had one of those cheap $10 walmart deck grills for college kids. I hate to say it but I think my steak usually came out better on it. I usually am just cooking steak for two, often half pound lean strip steaks. I've found that lots of heat in just a few minutes per side is the key to getting them cooked how I like. I raised the coal grate in that cheap grill up by an inch or so by putting some old sockets under the grate.

So how can I replicate this setup on the weber. I've taken to putting up the rails and building a higher pile of coals in the middle and going with the lid off but it still doesn't seem to do quite as well. Suggestions? I'm using kingsford briqs but would switch to something else if it would help. Locally I can pickup frontier lump, royal oak briqs, and if I wait a bit probably some trader joes.

Thanks!
day_trippr
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11 09 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give the Frontier lump a try. Lump generally burns considerably hotter than briquettes (not to mention it doesn't come with that chemical flavor - oops, I mentioned it! :lol ) and it doesn't ash over anywhere near as much as Kingsford (which is the ash producing champion) so it doesn't tend to snuff itself.

If that doesn't get hot enough for you, consider picking up another charcoal grate and elevate it closer to the cooking grate (put a couple of bricks on the original grate and rest the added grate on the bricks).

Cheers
Soybomb
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11 09 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like i can get a 40lb bag of royal oak lump to my local harrdware store for $18.50 too...is that better than frontier?
Old Dave
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11 09 7:44 am    Post subject: Weber Kettle Steaks Reply with quote

I like to do my steaks at about 2000 degrees on the Weber kettle. Takes about 11 seconds a side.

Ruth Chris ... eat your heart out!!
JazzCat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11 09 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolyBalls Dave! How do you get close to that grill to turn those steaks??!!
day_trippr
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11 09 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Weber Kettle Steaks Reply with quote

Old Dave wrote:
I like to do my steaks at about 2000 degrees on the Weber kettle. Takes about 11 seconds a side.

ahahahahahahah! That's hilarious! Great post! Laughing Laughing

Cheers!
day_trippr
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11 09 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soybomb wrote:
looks like i can get a 40lb bag of royal oak lump to my local harrdware store for $18.50 too...is that better than frontier?

Wow - that's a fantastic price - I'd definitely go for it if I tripped over that offer around here!

I'm a Royal Oak fanboi - it's all I ever use for Q...

Cheers
JimmieOhio
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11 09 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my old friend, Dave beat me to it! I was going to post some smart@ss comment about using a leaf blower... Sad

Seriously, I did use the leaf blower years ago at my annual clambake to get the coals REALLY going! Twisted Evil You could see the flames from the other side of the house!

"Never criticize a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. Then, criticize him all you want since you're a mile away and you have HIS shoes."
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13 09 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Weber Kettle Steaks Reply with quote

Old Dave wrote:

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But does it work???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Grilling All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: