FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EZ-Up Question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 8:11 am    Post subject: EZ-Up Question Reply with quote

Mrs Jeepdad has been after me asking what I want Santa to bring me this year. Besides a new owner, offensive line, younger defense, quarterback, and coach for the Redskins! So, I have been thinking an ez-up would be real nice on bad weather days. And it would be nice too if I ever make it to a comp. I figured if I can find one that is vented on top would be nice if they make one like that.

I see ez-ups in stores (like Walley World) for $99-120. I see others online with sports teams logos and side walls for $150-200.

Not sure how long one lasts given the cheap way most things are made these days.

Any recomendations?

--jeepdad

P.S. I figure if I get the redskins one it may collapse early and not last more than 60 mins!

SmokeHound
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might have to start callin' them the Deadskins. . . . Sad

New Braunfels stick burner
Weber-Smokey Joe
TBD-wishlist

~~~ and a big fat LIAR, too! ~~~
thunderburp
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had one for about three years now, use it at least a few times a summer and had no problems so far. They are nice to help protect you from the rain and adds some shade on the hot days. Also I did a contest this past summer and it got chilly at night, 40 to 45 degrees, the lights I strung up in it added some warmth as well. I have the sides too but really haven't used them much. I don't regret buying it at all.

BTW........Go Vikings Razz Razz Razz

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
Traeger 075
2 x 22.5" Webers
ECB
Brinkman Gasser
BBQDawg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty cool tent there jeepdad. Falcons fan here, how bout that game on sunday. That hit on Portis, concusion, boomshakalaka.

just a little friendly smack talk, ive been on the other end for so many years, im strill trying to get used to being a fan of a decent team.
kingofcool
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a falcons fan, I can say I certainly do not miss MeAngelo Hall.
OwenStubbs
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been through a few of these myself. Get one with the vented canopy if you can... makes a big difference. I have never owned one with a sports team logo... for me, that would be the Bears, but I think you are paying quite a premium for the franchise fee to put the logo on there. Look for a sale at a sporting goods sale and get a high quality one without the logo.. unless the log means something to ya.

Also, lots of these things will show a measurement at the base, but the canopy itself is less... such as 10' x 10' at the base, but the canopy is only 8' x 8'. Go for the ones where the canopy is the same size as the base/leg footprint.
RedValleyBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also want to consider one with sides that can be attached. This comes in handy as a wind break, a shelter from rain, or just for some privacy if needed.
18.5" & (3) 22" Weber Kettle Grills
Traeger Lil' Tex
KCBS CBJ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen friends go through many going to the lake every weekend, one a year on average. I bought 2 from Academy for right at $100. Used them at a music festival for vending, used them at a comp, use them at home when it rains. They are great to have.
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get mine from here http://www.ezupdirect.com/ezup-instant-shelters/eclipse2.php

I started out with the little 10X10 from Costco but they would only last about a year. I finally called Ez-up to ask WHY they don't last and was told that the ones sold through Costco/Sams are "non-commercial" units and made to put up and stay up all summer.....in the back yard.

The one I use now is of commercial grade metal (aluminum) 10X15 and are about $800 (+/-).

I replace the top every other year ($165 or so) just because they get dirty/smoky and start looking bad and to wash them in the laundry mat takes the fire retardant off from the inside.

Also, I always get the whilte as the colored ones are too dark under them...the white lets more light in.
JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been using 2 Encore II E-Z Up shelters for several years. Got these as Sam's back then, but they don't make this particular model anymore. Just remember that get what you pay for.

BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks All for the feedback...except BBQDawg that game was painful to watch. Wait, all the Skins games are painful to watch! Very Happy All the best.

--jeepdad
corndog
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a pretty decent one from Bass Pro Shops this past summer, and it's pretty good for a tailgaitin' and such...no sides, but pretty easy to put up...But the ones from SAMS are def a better built one, so it's all in what you want to put out....as for team support, there are banners, window flags and such that you can do that and the single colored canopy will be sport/team neutral at your comps...if that's a factor.....

Dang it boy, that's some mighty fine eatin'!!!!
purplewg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang at the price of those EZups you could buy ten years worth of the new lower cost cheap ones just throw them away when they get dirty. Shocked

Don't squat with your spurs on.........
NCBBQFAN
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesB wrote:
We have been using 2 Encore II E-Z Up shelters for several years. Got these as Sam's back then, but they don't make this particular model anymore. Just remember that get what you pay for.

I have the same setup James, and I have been through some mean thunder storms and they held-up.
The cheaper ones are much thinner framed and lighter so if your going to use it for comp's I would get the heavier Encore, but if you must have the sports logo that go with what offers that.
broncosmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11 09 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 Boise State logo'd ezup's that have been used for about 4 years quite a bit and most have held up fine. Make sure you get the heavier frames than the cheap ones. If you have to put one up by yourself and the frames are the lightweight ones they are easy to tweak. We tweaked one but found another frame during the summer at a garage sale that the canopy was about shot on. Paid $5 for it and put my top on it. Since then have picked up another frame for a backup. Make sure they have the wide foots at the base of the pole and not just a straight leg with a hole in it for a stake. If we are one grass we use 12 long stakes to put in the ground in case the wind picks up. If we are on asphalt we take a screw gun and 3" drywall screws and screw it down. Milk jugs filled with cement work if neither of those are options.

Invest a little more money for a better one now and it will save you it the long run.
whitey
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11 09 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeepdad are You sure You dont want to change the color. Laughing
Catfish.Out
Chicken Throwdown Champ..2010..
Almost the Biggest Liar on the "Ring"
Thumper
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11 09 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitey wrote:
Catfish.Out

Well Whitey, ol Jeepdad should be able to find one on the close out or clearance rack. With that logo they may pay him to take one Laughing
whitey
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11 09 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeepdad Its open season for Junk punching on the "Skins" Shocked Laughing
Even Thumper is getting on board,Get on Em Thumper.Step on His fingers while Hes down.Go for the eyes also Laughing
Wait Im suppose to Be nice,I forgot..Sorry Dan.

Kick em while their down..

The Seahawks suck also.But I dont fly them colors..I fly "Hunter Orange" as My colors.. Shocked
Chicken Throwdown Champ..2010..
Almost the Biggest Liar on the "Ring"
NaughtyNurse
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11 09 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam's locally has EZ UPS with sides for $200, we have 2 of them and so far no problems. Have a cheapo from Dick's too, I'll never do that again Embarassed
KCBS CBJ
FEC-100, FE/PG1000, 22" WSM, Good-One Rodeo, Big Steel Keg
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11 09 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumper wrote:
whitey wrote:
Catfish.Out

Well Whitey, ol Jeepdad should be able to find one on the close out or clearance rack. With that logo they may pay him to take one Laughing

Funny guys both of you! Evil or Very Mad Very Happy

--jeepdad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: