FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Franken Brisket

View previous topic :: View next topic  
u63405
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13 11 11:41 am    Post subject: Franken Brisket Reply with quote

So Saturday I went to visit my meat place and asked them for a brisket,full packer. Butcher comes out with this Monstrosity!! Close to eighteen lbs!! Shocked Yikes!! I've done a coupla packers in the 10-12lbs range but nothing like this! the brisket looks like it's got a lot of point to it. Hoping some of you ringers that seen one like this could give me some pointers.

I was thinking I could trim some of the bottom point to kinda make it like a normal brisket?

side view

other side

top view

bottom view
the420Angler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24 11 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what did you end up doing with your brisket u63405? I find myself in the same situation. My briskets have always been 10lbs and the one I have to BBQ this weekend is 15lbs. Curious as to how much longer it might take or if I should try cooking it a bit hotter. Always used 230degrees but have heard of people using upto 300 degrees.

I am thinking of using the Dr.Pepper recipe however I dont like the idea of the Montreal Spice and would prefer a homemade rub. Does anyone have suggestions or advice about this?
snubnose

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30 11 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never change my technique regardless of size. It just will take longer to cook. Trim that of excess fat and cook it to internal temp of 193 degrees.
the420Angler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30 11 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks snubnose that is exactly what I did and it turned out fine...and it only took 16 hours, lol. The only thing I did different was to try the Dr. Pepper recipe that I had seen here in the Smoke Ring. Though it was great I think I still prefer my tried and true...beer. It is also more fun to have leftovers of beer, than Dr. Pepper.
u63405
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07 11 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys! didnt bother looking at this post cuz i didn't git any replies but ur both right!! after opening it up i found that the point contained a whole lotta fat and that's why you see what looks like a hump. i trimmed the fat and went on cooking as normal!took about 16hrs i thought it would take at least 19. started it on friday at about five o'clock and was done on saturday at about 9am. i cooked this brisket for my daughters 1st birthday so i held it in a cooler for about eight hours!! Shocked when i first sliced it it looked kinda dry so i got all frantic cuz people were already showing up and i was just cutting this thing. butt after a i kept slicing it seemed to be more tender (probably in the money muscle). anyhew, I had no time to think about it being dry, etc. good thing i made the no. 5 sauce which i poured over the whole thing. let me tell you the brisked was a WINNER!! went faster than chit! I did git to try it since i didn't eat at the party cuz was too busy. wife put some scraps aside for me and I gotta say it was pretty darn good. Thank God!! This is my first brisket that I served to people beside my wife and now I'm getting requests to do briskets for birthday parties and such Very Happy
u63405
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07 11 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys! didnt bother looking at this post cuz i didn't git any replies but ur both right!! after opening it up i found that the point contained a whole lotta fat and that's why you see what looks like a hump. i trimmed the fat and went on cooking as normal!took about 16hrs i thought it would take at least 19. started it on friday at about five o'clock and was done on saturday at about 9am. i cooked this brisket for my daughters 1st birthday so i held it in a cooler for about eight hours!! Shocked when i first sliced it it looked kinda dry so i got all frantic cuz people were already showing up and i was just cutting this thing. butt after a i kept slicing it seemed to be more tender (probably in the money muscle). anyhew, I had no time to think about it being dry, etc. good thing i made the no. 5 sauce which i poured over the whole thing. let me tell you the brisked was a WINNER!! went faster than chit! I did git to try it since i didn't eat at the party cuz was too busy. wife put some scraps aside for me and I gotta say it was pretty darn good. Thank God!! This is my first brisket that I served to people beside my wife and now I'm getting requests to do briskets for birthday parties and such Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: