FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ethics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06 10 8:13 am    Post subject: Ethics Reply with quote

Would it be in bad taste (even if it were true) to do a bad review of a restaurant in your neighborhood if you had your own restaurant that was in direct competition? I have seen it done and was just wondering
Wells Cargo 20' Concession Trailer w/porch 24"
82's BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06 10 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a restaurant owner, but Me personally, I would probably hold my tongue.

Are you being asked to do a review of the restaurant by a magazine or paper?
QDS drum
Bubba 250 RF 5x10 trailer w/ rib box
Engelbrecht Braten
"82's BBQ Crew"
Liar #82
www.82sbbq.com
thooks
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06 10 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of customers at the "good" place in direct proportion to the amount at the "bad" place is all that needs to be reported/noticed.
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07 10 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I saw it done on here and thought it was in bad taste and very tacky.I think if your a food professional you shouldn't do reviews on your competitor. In fact I don't even think you should make comments to anyone about the competition... I have 12 or more restaurants and cater's going after the same dollars as me,and 2 of them suck really bad. But I would never name them to anyone or talk about it locally. In fact when I hear stories about those 2 I always say," thats the first I have heard of that,I have never peronally tried them out"any ways I'mjust venting.....Jim
HarvestMoon
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07 10 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, always take the high road.

It is easy to lobe grenades down hill then to throw 'em up hill. Smile
Weber Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill
Kenz51
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10 10 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fact that You have posted the question here shows you have more integrity then the competition...... Wink
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16 10 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reviewer has a clear conflict of interest and it absolutely must be disclosed. A COI doesn't mean that the review is necessarily worthless, but it must be acknowledged by the writer.

If it's unacknowledged, then the writer is a jerk, especially if they are doing it surreptitiously. I know of one guy who created false profiles to trash the competition; what a schmuck!

Personally, I don't give bad reviews to local joints that could possibly be my catering competition because I would just consider it impolitic (except for Sonny's, which is so mediocre that the world just needs to know).
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16 10 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In any of your opinions, how far away is "far enough" for the ethics issue to not be a problem?

Since opening my place I have given only one review of another bbq joint. Different town, different county. Would not have even given the review if this wasn't the worst bbq I had ever paid for in my entire life.

So, how far is far enough?

PS...I would never review a place in my own town...unless of course it was a sterling experience and deserved the praise (which I personally have no problem in doing).
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16 10 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the intention is to pass incorrect information about the experience, the food was bad when it's good or good when it's bad then it's unethical by the code I live by.

If asked to stand behind an opinion, I'd better be prepared to back it up, and I also agree that letting the reader know that there could be the appearance of a COI, would be a better method of dealing with the whole thing.

But if you are passing true and correct information about how things are or were, then you've as much right and probably better experience to judge the rightness or wrongness of the whole scene.

At the end of the day if it's an honest opinion, it's an honest opinion, if it's not an honest opinion it's worth the same as a joe smoe opinion.

See disclaimer below! Wink Laughing Wink

I still work here!
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16 10 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pit Boss wrote:
In any of your opinions, how far away is "far enough" for the ethics issue to not be a problem?

For me, I ask "Am I marketing my catering in the area?" If so, I would disclose. I have dropped reviews on places on the other side of Atlanta w/o mentioning it b/c I'm not looking to do jobs over there, so I don't feel any conflict.

Again, as long as you disclose the conflict, I don't see any ethical problem at all giving them a good or bad review, as long as it's honest.

PS The things I tell my friends in private is a great deal more candid than anything I'd ever put in writing, but they are all aware that I know my BBQ, which is why they ask me. Very Happy
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16 10 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question Jim!

I posted a review (a good one) recently about two joints in my area. While I don't have a raunt (and they don't cater) they were both fair reviews.

Conversely, I ate at a friends place with a fellow ringer (both not named here out of respect for both parties) and the place (relatively new) had some major issues.

I personally e-mailed the owner, and gave him/her my two cents worth.

I figured they would want to know, and I truly wanted them to do well.

They appreciated the feedback (and admitted that I was correct) and also my discretion in not flaming them in an open forum.

So my answer would be "it depends".

I've also looked for (and found) a reliable source to send a client if I'm not available.

During that search, one of the potential sources was a jerk @ff on the phone. Duly noted, thank you very much, I guess they didn't think I was serious.
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16 10 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poppa's PTL Club wrote:
The reviewer has a clear conflict of interest and it absolutely must be disclosed. A COI doesn't mean that the review is necessarily worthless, but it must be acknowledged by the writer.

If it's unacknowledged, then the writer is a jerk, especially if they are doing it surreptitiously. I know of one guy who created false profiles to trash the competition; what a schmuck!

Personally, I don't give bad reviews to local joints that could possibly be my catering competition because I would just consider it impolitic (except for Sonny's, which is so mediocre that the world just needs to know).

Yeah,while it might be a clear conflict of interest maybe their judgement was just clouded. Hopefully they will see this post and do something about it, I kind of doubt it though.
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16 10 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pit Boss wrote:

Since opening my place I have given only one review of another bbq joint. Different town, different county. Would not have even given the review if this wasn't the worst bbq I had ever paid for in my entire life.

So, how far is far enough?

PS...I would never review a place in my own town...unless of course it was a sterling experience and deserved the praise (which I personally have no problem in doing).

Ouch not directed at you Pit Boss, person that did this knows who they are (but probally would never read a post titled Ethic's.

In response to your question, myself I cater up to 75 miles away. So I guess it would be wrong (by my own standards) to say anything bad about anyone that far away.
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16 10 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQMAN wrote:
Good question Jim!

I posted a review (a good one) recently about two joints in my area. While I don't have a raunt (and they don't cater) they were both fair reviews.

Conversely, I ate at a friends place with a fellow ringer (both not named here out of respect for both parties) and the place (relatively new) had some major issues.

I personally e-mailed the owner, and gave him/her my two cents worth.

I figured they would want to know, and I truly wanted them to do well.

They appreciated the feedback (and admitted that I was correct) and also my discretion in not flaming them in an open forum.

So my answer would be "it depends".

I've also looked for (and found) a reliable source to send a client if I'm not available.

During that search, one of the potential sources was a jerk @ff on the phone. Duly noted, thank you very much, I guess they didn't think I was serious.

Yeah thats the position I take on the whole thing. I prefefor people to weed out the bad ones on their own. Last summer I had 3 very diffcult catering jobs because of bad caters in the past. When you follow a bad cater it makes your job harder because of the customers worries,,,,but pretty well locks you into their next function if you do a good job!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: