FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What rub/sauce is 'hot' on the circuit in your area
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vexter1
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19 09 9:38 pm    Post subject: What rub/sauce is 'hot' on the circuit in your area Reply with quote

Just curious if there's regional differences on the bbq circuit with commercial rubs and sauces - I have to think there probably are and wondered if any of you would put your $0.2 in on this one.

Example -

We see a lot of cookers in our area (Mid-Missouri) using Blues Hog sauce. I see a fair amount of Smokin Guns and Blues Hog rub.

What do the rest of you see? I'm kind of curious to try some new sauces/rubs over the winter and wondered what other regional bbq circuit cookers might be using.

Last edited by vexter1 on Tue Oct 20 09 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total
vexter1
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20 09 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 reads and no responses? I was expecting a lot of response to this one Sad
Jeff Hughes
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20 09 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what I do...
Weber 22" Kettle
vexter1
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20 09 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Hughes wrote:
You know what I do...

Yes sir and as promised - I'll take it to my grave - unless I can get Butcher to buy the secrets for your ribs - LOL!
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20 09 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use sauce cooked over a hard wood fire vexter.

Something about a stick burner and sauce........................ Wink Razz Cool
vexter1
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20 09 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQMAN wrote:
I use sauce cooked over a hard wood fire vexter.

Something about a stick burner and sauce........................ Wink Razz Cool

Thanks BBQMan - you know - I make my own sauce for the ribs and pulled pork - and that sauce contains liquid smoke (called for in the recipe) - I bet ditching that and allowing the sauce to warm up in the pit would give it that flavor it needs....good thoughts....
Ranucci's Big Butt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20 09 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, when was your last comp? Thought you only catered?

Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ
www.ranuccis.com
www.bigbuttbbq.com
Smellwhatscookin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20 09 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my own rub that I make up and my own sauce. The sauce is sweet with just a tad bit of heat kick. and the Rub is the same way. I have a Ray Lampe's book road trip and got the rub out of it. They used a little more salt than what I like and adjusted that.
Weber Kettle
Always welcome by my campfire.
Jeff Hughes
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20 09 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smellwhatscookin wrote:
I use my own rub that I make up and my own sauce. The sauce is sweet with just a tad bit of heat kick. and the Rub is the same way. I have a Ray Lampe's book road trip and got the rub out of it. They used a little more salt than what I like and adjusted that.

How's that hittin' for you?
Weber 22" Kettle
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20 09 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What rub/sauce is 'hot' on the circuit in your area Reply with quote

vexter1 wrote:
Example -

We see a lot of cookers in our area (Mid-Missouri) using Blues Hog sauce. I see a fair amount of Smokin Guns and Blues Hog rub.

How do you see, are you walking by camps and see what they're using or just hear about it? Are these teams winning with them or is it a lot of talk?

I think a LOT of those you mention got that way because they're talked about all the time in forums like this. ME? I'd go another way. Think about all the people using the same thing.

Oh, and around here, I know of more than one team that uses those bottles to put other stuff in so they don't tell people what they use.

It's been common to try to figure out what the winners are using but you likely won't get the specifics.

What you need is the inventory list from Hawgeye's and who's buying what...
stacey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20 09 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried sweet baby rays and a homeade tomato based sauce both sweet,and had zero luck. I was hoping this thread would give me some ideas also.
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20 09 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I doubt that this goes anywhere. You aren't going to find out what enough people who are winning are winning with. And Shigging aint going to get you no where anyway.

I use mason jars to hold all my sauces that are mixed at the house or are just straight from the bottle. All my rubs for comps go from large bulk containers to empty smaller containers with different labels or no labels.

I bet that enough people have taken the High Tech v Old School class that you could just call up the KC BBQ store or hawgeyes and ask for the pellet Envy package or the Trigg package and get all the right rubs and sauces that those folks and their students use, but that again aint really going to get you there. Everything gets mixed with something else.
vexter1
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20 09 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What rub/sauce is 'hot' on the circuit in your area Reply with quote

SmokinOkie wrote:
vexter1 wrote:
Example -

How do you see, are you walking by camps and see what they're using or just hear about it? Are these teams winning with them or is it a lot of talk?

--------Sometimes walk by, sometimes in conversation with other teams. They're certainly not telling me everything for sure - but they do tell me the sauce or rub they are using (and maybe just for that day). At the last comp I was at, they needed a table captain for judging and oneof my team member's wive's volunteered - what was sad - was that a lot of the judges were talking around her after some of the judging about how they could taste the Blues Hog sauce on the entries (good or bad..I don't know) - but it says a lot when some of the judges know the sauce by taste - must be used alot...LOL.

I think a LOT of those you mention got that way because they're talked about all the time in forums like this. ME? I'd go another way. Think about all the people using the same thing.
---------------I agree - I'd rather do something different. I'd rather do something not so common - which is what we do today - and we have 'some' success doing that.

Oh, and around here, I know of more than one team that uses those bottles to put other stuff in so they don't tell people what they use.
-----------Point taken.

It's been common to try to figure out what the winners are using but you likely won't get the specifics.
-----------I really wasn't looking for people to necessarily give me a winning combo - I was more curious about regional differences - like is Blues Hog popular in OK and TX? Or is it more of a Missouri/IL/KS thing? Like Head Country, maybe it's more popular in OK than here etc etc.

What you need is the inventory list from Hawgeye's and who's buying what...
I do computer work for a living - I can see I need to hone up on hacking skills and get that list - ROFL!

Last edited by vexter1 on Wed Oct 21 09 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
vexter1
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20 09 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgPhan wrote:
yeah I doubt that this goes anywhere. You aren't going to find out what enough people who are winning are winning with. And Shigging aint going to get you no where anyway.

------------Yeah - I don't try to shig or anything - just curious about regional differences in regards to how I answered SmokinOkie's response. Is Blues Hot hotter in MO (because it's made here) or is popular all over - those kinds of things.

I use mason jars to hold all my sauces that are mixed at the house or are just straight from the bottle. All my rubs for comps go from large bulk containers to empty smaller containers with different labels or no labels.
------------I bring almost all of mine in ziplock bags - labeled for what they are for.

I bet that enough people have taken the High Tech v Old School class that you could just call up the KC BBQ store or hawgeyes and ask for the pellet Envy package or the Trigg package and get all the right rubs and sauces that those folks and their students use, but that again aint really going to get you there. Everything gets mixed with something else.
------------*gets ready to call Hawgeyes...I'll need (all top 10 teams names here) package...LOL* Good point though.

I guess by starting this thread I was more interesting in trying something here that may not be so popular in this region - and seeing how the flavors are different - that kind of thing - I wasn't really hoping to dig up secrets (but I'm always open to PM's...LOL) - like is there a different flavor of rub/sauce in other regions that's just really popular for cookers but we don't see as much or any of here in Missouri - just to try it out and see what I thought. Nothing malicious meant in any way.
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21 09 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sauces
Blue Hog Original and Tennessee Red
Head Country
homebbq.com or smoky mountain smokers

Rubs
Smoking Guns
Slabs
cimarron Doc's

I can't really think of anything else that folks use around the southeast...but I would imagine that those flavors are going to work anywhere. I think that with the way some of the top teams travel and win the regional bias for KCBS is being worked out of the system by the internet and traveling teams and judges.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21 09 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranucci's Big Butt wrote:
Mike, when was your last comp? Thought you only catered?

MIM 2008.

We may do a few FBA events this year.

Thanks for asking.
Ranucci's Big Butt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21 09 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You competed in MIM2008???

We use our own sauces and dry rubs for comps. The only thing we sauce are ribs and chicken.

Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ
www.ranuccis.com
www.bigbuttbbq.com
vexter1
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21 09 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgPhan wrote:
Sauces
Blue Hog Original and Tennessee Red
Head Country
homebbq.com or smoky mountain smokers

Rubs
Smoking Guns
Slabs
cimarron Doc's

I can't really think of anything else that folks use around the southeast...but I would imagine that those flavors are going to work anywhere. I think that with the way some of the top teams travel and win the regional bias for KCBS is being worked out of the system by the internet and traveling teams and judges.

Perfect - this is exactly what I was looking for - you all can laugh at me if you like - I've not heard of the Cimmaron Doc's or homebbq.com or smoky mountain smokers....and I do a lot of lurking/reading - must have missed that one - LOL - thanks for the posts and thoughts guys!
Vosholl Vulture
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21 09 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey vexter
When I go to your web site it turns my browser off
Whats the deal
CrazyChef
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21 09 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vosholl Vulture wrote:
Hey vexter
When I go to your web site it turns my browser off
Whats the deal

It's working here. I'm using FireFox. What browser are you using?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: