FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beef Rib Disaster

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Daddy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 08 06 9:47 am    Post subject: Beef Rib Disaster Reply with quote

I attempted my first set of beef ribs this weekend and boy did I screw up somewhere! I'm gonna say the ugly word now, I cooked them on my "gas" pig cooker due to there size. I couldn't get them on my Brinkman water smoker. Here's what I did. I coated them with my dry rub and cooked them for 4 hours at 250 and then I wrapped them in foil for another hour and half then I took them off the grill. 30 minutes later I opened them up and I could not eat them, they were tough and looked over cooked to me. What did I do wrong? Did I get a bad pack of ribs? Help?
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon May 08 06 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did they look after the first 4 hours..??

Did you try one at that point.

I have only ever done them one way and they turned out excellent, though the method was someone elses. He had worked out the problems rather well.

The time you mentioned seems to be O.K. Were they overcooked or just not tender. Thats too bad and I feel for ya but done give up on Prime rib bones as they are a good feed once you get em right.
LIAR #100
Big Daddy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 08 06 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roxy, I think they were over cooked. I really don't know what I'm looking at when buying beef ribs either. I mean beef ribs are beef ribs right? That is what it said on the package, but I did notice there was a lot of fat on them and I thought that would help if anything. Is there a membrane on beef ribs? I think I'm gonna stick to baby backs, now those I can do. Wink
FairWeatherSmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 08 06 10:35 am    Post subject: Beef ribs Reply with quote

I cooked some today. I got the crosscut kind, not the full length ones. The 'fat' on beef ribs is a combo of fat & tendons, tough stuff.

I cooked these on my weber, 4 hours at 185 - 200 to tender them up, 2 hours at 250-270 to brown them.

I thought they were some overcooked, but everyone loved them. They were tender.

BTW - I brined them ( salt/sugar) for 24 hours, dried them, rubbed with olive oil & put rub on them and marinated in that for 24 hours. Then warmed to room temp & put on the weber.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon May 08 06 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest to ya to try some prime rib bones. They are huge like they should be on a flinstones cartoon but produce some good eating.

Yep, there is a membrane on the inside of the bone like pork ribs.
LIAR #100
Mark H
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 08 06 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Roxy just wrote made my eyes roll. Roxy, I never thought of anyone selling ribs from the "plate" of the animal, I've never seen that but it certainly is possible. Roxy is so correct, if these ribs were from the plate, or belly, of the animal, they certainly wouldn't be anywhere as good as ribs from the back of the animal. The ribs to get would be from the standing rib area. When these ribs are cut off the meat, the result is rib eyes (everyones favorite) and beef ribs.

I've only done these ribs in the oven, as I am new to this smoking game. They are fatty, and do require longer cooking time. My technique in the oven is to brown them at 425 F., then add water to the dutch oven and cook them covered for another 4 hours at 325 F. I bring them out of the oven and let them stand for an hour or two to cool somewhat. Then they go into the refrigerator overnight. The next day I remove all the fat I can with my hands, put the tender ribs back in the oven with BBQ sauce on them heat them up and brown the sauce.

They are definately worth all the work!

I am only writing this to try to help, I know I'm in some pretty fast company here and I hope I'm not embarassing myself.
Mark H
Txngent

PostPosted: Tue May 09 06 3:45 am    Post subject: Hey Big Daddy.... Reply with quote

Did you skin them before you smoked them? I do beef ribs more than most... Texas and all. I too brine mine the day before and always have my meat at room temp before going the grill. I don't rap mine but do make sure I have moisture in the cooker. Low and slow!!! After mid cooking (about 3-4hrs) start a mop.
Mark H
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 09 06 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I do take the membrane off. If the rib that was turned into a rib eye was aged, (fat chance today) the "skin" will have an off flavor. Maybe icky would be the technical term. I've also found that the fat cooks out better with this removed.

You can't get your fingernails under this like you can with baby back ribs, so I have a little worn out boning knife that I use to cut this skin away. I just ride the ribs down with the knife, with the blade under the skin.
Mark H
Txngent

PostPosted: Tue May 09 06 9:18 pm    Post subject: Don't give up ! Reply with quote

Have you tried the tips on the home page here? Some good tips AND some good looking pics... makes me wish I had a taste monitor! Laughing
Kosmos Q
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25 06 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How well do you trust your thermometer?

Did you add a water bowl to your gas cooker?

Was ther heat under the ribs or off to the side?

Bones up or down?
skybob
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25 06 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did these by the 4-2 method. Four hours in the smoke, the last 2 hours wrapped with apple juice/Jack Daniels in the foil. Spritzed the ribs while they were cooking every hour with the same mixture.
Cooked them between 220-240 as close as I could keep the temps.

I used Roxy's Saturday Night Special Sauce for them, it's a great sauce for the beef ribs. Probably gonna try it on other meats also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: