FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GLOSSARY: Acronyms, Terms, and Definitions of The Smoke Ring
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SmokeHound
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23 09 6:20 am    Post subject: GLOSSARY: Acronyms, Terms, and Definitions of The Smoke Ring Reply with quote

Greetings folks! As a lot of us know, many of the terms and acronyms used on this board are very specialized to the Smoking/BBQ'ing community. Unfortunately, many of these terms are not included in published or online resources (ie: Acronym finder.com , Dictionary.com, etc). This makes it difficult to understand conversations and it slows the learning process for folks new to the Smoking/BBQ'ing world. Worse, there's too much time wasted "data mining" for simple acronyms (very irritating!). To remedy that, I've attempted to create a single place for the terms and acronyms frequently used on this site (these terms are often used in other BBQ forums as well).

There are many skilled BBQ'ers/Smokers on this blog and THEY are the main resource for this valuable information. I can take NO credit for this list - I am simply scraping all the info together and putting it in ONE spot. I hope this is helpful!

Also, Alien BBQ developed some awesome visuals that are really helpful - they can be accessed here: http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3774&highlight=things+talk

For additional reference, NakedWhiz has a BBQ/Smoking/Grilling Glossary that can be accessed here: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/term.htm

Cheers!

Term
or
Acronym:
. . . Definition

2-2-1:. . .A METHOD of smoking, usually ribs. 2 hours smoked - 2 hours wrapped - 1 final hour unwrapped.
3-2-1:. . .A METHOD of smoking, usually ribs. 3 hours smoked - 2 hours wrapped - 1 final hour unwrapped.
ABT:. . .Atomic Buffalo Turd. A stuffed, smoked jalapeño pepper, often stuffed w/ cream cheese, a lil smoky and wrapped in bacon.
ADT:. . .Atomic Dragon Turd. Much like an ABT (see above) but with Habañero peppers and are equally "lethal" even 2-6 hours AFTER you eat them. (hint: Stay near a bathroom) Shocked
ASAFP:. . .As soon as flippin' possible! PG version, which is the preferred version for this site. We all know the original version. . . Wink
AYCE:. . .All You Can Eat
BB:. . .Boston Butt or pork butt. AKA: pork shoulder. One of the most forgiving cuts of pork to smoke and therefore a great choice for newbies (and not-so-newbies) to cook. This is different from the "picnic" portion of the roast.
BBB:. . .Buck Board Bacon - Often made out of pork shoulder and cured and smoked just like bacon.
BBC:. . .Beer Butt Chicken. A METHOD for smoking/grilling whole chickens - by shoving a beer-sized can (with liquid) into rear cavity of bird.
BBRs:. . .Baby Back Ribs. Also referred to as pork loin ribs or back ribs.
BCC:. . .Beer Can Chicken. A METHOD for smoking/grilling whole chickens - by shoving a beer-sized can (with liquid) into rear cavity of bird.
BDS:. . .Big Drum Smoker. An offset wood and/or charcoal burning smoker, shaped like or made from a drum.
BGE:. . .Big Green Egg. A specific brand and type of egg-shaped ceramic smoker.
BOTW:. . .Best Of The West. A brand of LUMP charcoal.
BRB:. . .Beer Run Boys (also means "be right back" in the Instant Messaging world).
BSKD:. . .Brinkmann Smoke King Deluxe. A popular brand and type of offset, horizontal charcoal/wood smoker.
BUDS:. . .Big Ugly Drum Smoker. Same as a BDS, only uglier. . . . Shocked
BWS:. . .Backwoods Smoker. A brand and type of vertical water smoker.
CAB:. . .Certified Angus Beef
CBP:. . .Cracked Black Pepper
CC:. . .Cook chamber
CCSV:. . .Camp Chef Smoke Vault. A type and brand of wood/charcoal burning smoker, shaped like a vault.
CI:. . .Cast Iron cooking gear
CL:. . .Craig's List
CO:. . .Camp Oven
CSRs:. . .Country Style Ribs or Country Spare Ribs
DO:. . .Dutch Oven
DPP:. . .Diamond Plate Pits (or Products). A brand of wood/charcoal/gas smoker and/or grill that is on wheels.
EBO:. . .Easy Bake Oven. A mindlessly easy-to-use 2 watt child's cooking device -- referenced by smack-talking BBQ'ers of both genders.
ECB:. . .El Cheapo Brinkmann. A general grouping of low-cost Brinkmann smokers, usually the vertical bullet-shaped water types.
EVOO:. . .Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Fattie: . . .Generally, a 1 pound chub of breakfast sausage, stuffed with various goodies (onions, cheese, mushrooms, olives, whatever you like) turned into a smoked delicacy.
Fatty:. . .Generally, a 1 pound chub of breakfast sausage, stuffed with various goodies (onions, cheese, mushrooms, olives, whatever you like) turned into a smoked delicacy.
FB:. . .Fire box. The separate compartment of a smoker (generally horizontal/offsets) where the fire is maintained.
FEC:. . .Fast Eddie Cookshack. A very popular brand and type of box-shaped pellet smoker.
Flat:. . .A part of a beef brisket that is much flatter and leaner than the POINT (see below).
FUBAR:. . .F*cked Up Beyond All Recognition. Usually means "bad eats". . .(we've all done this one. . .)
FWIW:. . .For what it's worth. . . .
GOSM:. . .Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain. A brand of vertical propane smoker.
GSM:. . .Great Smoky Mountain. A very popular brand of Weber smoker.
HD:. . .Health Department. . . .
HH:. . .High Heat
IMHO:. . .In My Humble Opinion
IMO:. . .In My Opinion
IIRC:. . .If I remember correctly
JM2C:. . .Just my two cents. . . .
JMTC:. . .Just my two cents. . . .
K:. . .Kingsford Charcoal. Common briquettes in the familiar blue and white bag.
KCBS:. . .Kansas City BBQ Society
Lump:. . .Hardwood that has been charred (carbonized) into lump charcoal form. NOT the same as charcoal briquettes!
LVI: . . .Low-Voltage Individual. A mildly disparaging reference to someone who believes they can achieve the same results of authentic BBQ by using a crock pot (or similar appliance) and BBQ sauce. These people have brain damage. . . . . Wink Shocked
MBN:. . .Memphis BBQ Network
MDN: . . .Mine Does Not. Used in conjunction w/ YMMV (see below). Writer is indicating they get consistent results from the described process or technique.
MES:. . .Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse. A brand of electronic vertical smokehouse.
MiM:. . .Memphis in May
Moink:. . .Moo + oink. Appetizer made by wrapping a beef meatball (Moo) with bacon (oink) then smoked until the bacon and beef are cooked through.
NBS:. . .New Braunfels Smoker. A popular brand and type of offset charcoal/wood smoker.
NFW:. . .No flippin' way! PG version. . . .
NSF:. . .National Sanitation Foundation, Int'l. Official website = http://www.nsf.org/
OCC:. . .Original Charcoal Company. A very popular brand of LUMP charcoal.
OTBS:. . .Order of the Thin Blue Smoke. Kind of like the "Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings" but with smoke and BBQ utensils. . .
OTG:. . .One Touch Gold - a kettle grill made by Weber.
OTS:. . .One Touch Silver - a kettle grill made by Weber.
Packer:. . .A reference to beef brisket where the FLAT and the POINT have been kept together, intact and often untrimmed.
Pig Pecker:. . .Sausages wrapped in bacon, sprinkled with rub and smoked until the bacon is crisp (to your desired crispness).
Point:. . .A part of a whole beef brisket that is usually much thicker and fattier than the FLAT (see above).
PP:. . .Pulled Pork. Pork butt/shoulder or picnic roast that has been cooked (hopefully by smoking!) then shredded. Wink
PRON:. . .AKA: "food pron" or "food p 0 rn". Invert the R&O and figure it out -- can also use the digit zero in place of the 'o'. It's a family site!
PWNAR:. . .Pig's Worst Nightmare Apple Rub - see active link >> http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5274
Q:. . .Short for BBQd /smoked goodies
Q-view:. . .Images of smoked food/goodies that usually make folks drool on their keyboards and/or lick their PC monitors. . . . . (aka: food p0rn) Wink
RO:. . .Royal Oak charcoal briquettes
ROL:. . .Royal Oak Lump charcoal
RTE:. . .Ready to eat. Usually in the context of food handling.
RTFM:. . .Read the fine manual! G version.
S&P:. . .Salt and Pepper
SnP:. . .Smoke n Pit. A brand of horizontal wood/charcoal smoker.
SOAB:. . .Soup On A Bun
SOS:. . .Sh!t On a Shingle. Historically, it's chipped beef or stew poured over toasted bread, but there are many variations today.
SPATCH:. . .Spatchcock. A TECHNIQUE used for preparing whole chickens for cooking (but also game birds, quail, etc) that removes the sternum and back bone, then is pressed flat. It is similar in theory to 'butterflying'.
SRR:. . .Standing Rib Roast
SYB:. . .Souther Yankee BBQ - a BBQ pit manufacturer
TBS:. . .Thin Blue Smoke - The highly desired color and amount of smoke coming out of the exhaust of a smoker.
TCAMO:. . .Take Charge And Move Out
TSR:. . .The Smoke Ring
Turds:. . .Atomic Buffalo Turd. A stuffed, smoked jalapeño pepper, often stuffed w/ cream cheese, a lil smoky and wrapped in bacon.
UDS:. . .Upright Drum Smoker or, alternatively an UGLY Drum Smoker.
UFB:. . .UnFlippin' believable! PG version.
WGC:. . .Wicked Good Charcoal. A brand of LUMP charcoal.
WSM:. . .Weber Smoky Mountain. A very popular, consistent brand and type (UDS) of smoker.
WTFDIK:. . .What the 'F' do I know?!?! PG version.
WTH:. . .What the heck?! PG version.
YGBFKM:. . .You gotta be flippin' kidding me! PG version.
YMMV:. . .Your Mileage (or Method) May Vary. Individual results and outcomes may differ depending upon variations in cooker type, weather conditions, techniques, etc.

This is a "living" list -- so if you find a term or acronym that is incorrect or is missing (but is relevant to Smoking, BBQ'ing, Grilling, etc), simply reply to this thread with the term/acronym and its meaning (and/or definition). Once we get this list "scrubbed", I'll start running new additions by the Moderators/Veterans for confirmation ("sanity check") and then update the thread.

New Braunfels stick burner
Weber-Smokey Joe
TBD-wishlist

~~~ and a big fat LIAR, too! ~~~

Last edited by SmokeHound on Tue Sep 27 11 8:54 am; edited 28 times in total
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23 09 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: GLOSSARY: Acronyms, Terms, and Definitions of The Smoke Reply with quote

SmokeHound wrote:
YMMV:. . .Your Mileage (or Method) May Vary. Individual results and outcomes may differ depending upon variations in cooker type, weather conditions, techniques, etc.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Seems like you might be letting the microwave go after all Wink

That is a pretty good "dent" in the list Very Happy

The Bride of Franken Smoker
CrazyChef
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23 09 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: GLOSSARY: Acronyms, Terms, and Definitions of The Smoke Reply with quote

SmokeHound wrote:
2-2-1:. . .A METHOD of smoking, specifically baby back ribs. 2 hours smoked - 2 hours wrapped - 1 final hour unwrapped

I'm still trying to figure out why people here are still referring to basic pork back ribs as "baby back" ribs. 99.44% of the time, they are just pork back ribs, not baby backs.
Mr. Mojo Risin'
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23 09 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: GLOSSARY: Acronyms, Terms, and Definitions of The Smoke Reply with quote

CrazyChef wrote:
SmokeHound wrote:
2-2-1:. . .A METHOD of smoking, specifically baby back ribs. 2 hours smoked - 2 hours wrapped - 1 final hour unwrapped

I'm still trying to figure out why people here are still referring to basic pork back ribs as "baby back" ribs. 99.44% of the time, they are just pork back ribs, not baby backs.

I blame Chili's. Very Happy

I don't make mistakes...just understandable bad choices.

Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn Smoker
ProBBQ Excel 20
SmokeHound
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23 09 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: GLOSSARY: Acronyms, Terms, and Definitions of The Smoke Reply with quote

CrazyChef wrote:
SmokeHound wrote:

"Baby Backs" is a VERY common reference to loin ribs or back ribs . . . Go into most restaurants around the West Coast and you'll find Baby Back Ribs" listed on the menu. Seems like most everyone knows what they are. . . . Even if I scan the menus of various "mom&pop" BBQ joints, I'll BBRs on the menu. . . .

Still. . . .I've revised the wording to ensure the BBR entry is accurate. Wink

Weber-Smokey Joe
TBD-wishlist

SmokeHound
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06 09 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive gotten some helpful feedback from several folks (many thanks!) and Ive made those updates to the current list. Let me know if you see anything that requires updating/correcting (or even some word smithing). Also, if you see something missing from this list holler! Wink

Weber-Smokey Joe
TBD-wishlist

whitey
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08 09 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Job Putting Your link together Gir Friend.. Shocked That is about the most complete list of "Slang" I have every seen..

And We all know You have had more than 1 FUBARed dinners Shocked Laughing

Sorry SmokeHound couldnt miss the chance.. Laughing

Good job and lots of people will be able to follow the "Ring" Because of Your efforts..

Do You have Your EBO fired up on the "Nuke" setting for that frozzen pizza
You are going to FUBAR for dinner Laughing

Sorry again Darling couldnt resist.

Good Job..
Whitey
Chicken Throwdown Champ..2010..
Almost the Biggest Liar on the "Ring"
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08 09 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...nice job!
SmokeHound
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08 09 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsmokenofire wrote:
...nice job!

whitey wrote:
Nice Job Putting Your link together Gir Friend.. Shocked That is about the most complete list of "Slang" I have every seen..

And We all know You have had more than 1 FUBARed dinners Shocked Laughing

Sorry SmokeHound couldnt miss the chance.. Laughing

Good job and lots of people will be able to follow the "Ring" Because of Your efforts..

Do You have Your EBO fired up on the "Nuke" setting for that frozzen pizza
You are going to FUBAR for dinner Laughing

Sorry again Darling couldnt resist.

Good Job..
Whitey

Thanks allsmokenofire and whitey - I'm hoping that helps folks learn the "lay of the land" a little quicker. . . .

And whitey. . . . .

Ah yes, I've FUBAR'd a meal or two in my past (don't worry, you'll get there one day too!) If I didn't know better, I'd say someone's asking for another throwdown. . . . ???

Right back at ya' my friend!

Weber-Smokey Joe
TBD-wishlist

k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08 09 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmokeHound, awesome job on the list Very Happy Cool I am with whitey on this one though.
FUBAR:. . .F*cked Up Beyond All Recognition. Usually means "bad eats". . .(we've all done this one. . .)

When you say we are you sporting a mouse in your pocket? or are you just referring to Mrs.K.A.M., Kteedid63, and yourself Laughing Let us not forget the last whooping the Ladies took. Laughing And y'all got bet by beginner. I need one of your emotions, you know the one where the little smiley guy has tears flowing and he's rolling on the ground. This is all I have Laughing Sorry couldn't resist. Very Happy
Seriously though you did a great service to the ring with this thread, Very Happy CONGRATS Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
whitey
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08 09 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get Em K.A.M.I know one thing someone has a serious CRS problem..How soon they forget Razz

Maybe Gary will add it as a stickey.SmokeHound You should send Gary a P.M
SmokeHound
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08 09 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks K.A.M! Wink

It is true: I did not win. . . But the experience was great! Definitely worth a butt-kicking! Wink

When's the next one??? Very Happy

Weber-Smokey Joe
TBD-wishlist

BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09 09 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job! Cool
Kteedid63
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09 09 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This weekend a throwdown? I will cook or judge makes no matter to me. After the Umm "garnish" presented in the last throw down, its game on, Did I ever tell you boys i dont like losing. Twisted Evil But I would even be happy to judge much like the jiggley avtars on the ring that garnish wouldnt work for me,, One day I will figure out how to apply one of those on my profile so you guys can say aww dangit every time mine umm pops up, Laughing Laughing

TomCat BBQ team
whitey
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09 09 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladies for referance please read,Very important that You all comply

I think Shocked it is against the forums rules to have Avtars of Weiners or anything else that will pop up Shocked

Examples of acceptable Avtars are listed below:

Jiggly Fun bags,spandex clad tight booteys and the likes of them are all acceptable forms of Avtars..

For any further advice on this subject just drop Me a line and Id be happy to point You in the right direction Shocked

I Know You are asking Yourself right now,Man Why would a Guy take time out of His busy schedule to help Me out? Rolling Eyes

Because thats the kindof Guy I am Rolling Eyes Helpful Shocked

Good Day
Kteedid63
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09 09 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whitey.. Get ready it is comming,, I want you all to be embarrised when it umm pops up.

TomCat BBQ team
whitey
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09 09 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gir friend Do You want Me to P.M you a picture Shocked Boing
usrifle
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09 09 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"They" just framing the Winning entry!

....and that's just good "presentation". Laughing

Now remember kteedid...."Wiener's" don't sell BBQ or win throwdowns. Shocked

usrifle

Dessert "Throwdown" champion
(just in case you ladies forgot)

Last edited by usrifle on Sat Oct 10 09 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Kteedid63
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09 09 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on whos buying it. Its comming . and I will make a point of posting behind you two so you can get a kick out it alot

TomCat BBQ team
Bunqui
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24 09 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmokeHound,
Thanks for all the work on this list. Much appreciated by all. Smile Smile Smile Cool

Weber Smokey Joe
LIAR#38
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: