FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoked Meatloaf test tomorrow....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SmokeHound
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17 09 8:01 am    Post subject: Smoked Meatloaf test tomorrow.... Reply with quote

I'm bored outta my skull and haven't smoked anything since Labor Day (having withdrawals). Then it occurred to me (how convenient!) that I haven't smoked a meatloaf yet!! Sad but true....

So...that's what I'm going to experiment with tomorrow afternoon..... I'll post "the proof" after the cook.... Wish me luck.........

New Braunfels stick burner
Weber-Smokey Joe
TBD-wishlist

~~~ and a big fat LIAR, too! ~~~
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17 09 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to make mine and foil line a bread pan, put the meat loaf into the foil and press it down tightly, I then wrap the foil over the top and chill in the fridge overnight or for at least 3 - 4 hours.

When I put it in the smoker, I lift the foil wrapped meatloaf out of the pan, and open the foil to allow smoke to the top, sides, and ends, after 45 minutes I roll the meatloaf over on the foil and allow the smoke and heat to access the bottom of the loaf.

I cook it to an internal temperature of at least 165 F, and lift it back into the pan for resting and transportation!

JM2C, YMMV, MDN! Wink Laughing Wink

I still work here!
MountainMan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17 09 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got my round tuit out and I wrapped a meatloaf in a frog mat and tossed it in my FEC at 250 for about 3 hours.

If you have not done this you owe it to your self to give it a try it's really quite wonderful.

I did a real simple batch of:
2 lbs. ground beef
1 lb. ground pork
1/2 cup panko
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 garlic, finely chopped
2 Tbsp mustard
3 Tbsp. ketchup
Salt & Pepper

About 10 to 20 minutes before it was finished I glazed it with:
3 Tbsp Brown sugar
1 Tbsp mustard
3 Tbsp. ketchup

Finished and allowed to rest 10 minutes........

OH YEA Razz Razz
day_trippr
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17 09 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"frog mat"?

Cheers
Hell Fire Grill
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17 09 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frogmats

http://www.frogmats.com/
SmokeHound
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17 09 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a glossary.... Wink

Weber-Smokey Joe
TBD-wishlist

day_trippr
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17 09 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell Fire Grill wrote:
Frogmats

http://www.frogmats.com/

Ah - I can see why that would be handy for a meatloaf.
What is that stuff made from - fiberglass or kevlar or ?

Cheers
Que-West
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17 09 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/4" mesh stainless or aluminum screen, can be welded or not (welded is much more expensive), and the wires may be crimped or not where they intersect (crimped is much more stable). We use this type of thing all the time for insect/bird screens on ductwork air intakes. Matter of fact, I used some to make my charcoal basket for my UDS.

I think I'll grab some more drop pieces to use like this Very Happy
Rojellio Es Caliente
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18 09 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first Meatloaf on the Treager was a cracker crumb type loaf, essentially baked at 350'ish temps, in a loaf pan. It would have been better at smoke temps, like 225.

I grew up on meatloaf made with Quaker 'Instant' Rolled Oats. The 5 meatloaf's I have done since were oatmeal style loafs, which seem to hold together better. The other difference from my early attempt is smoking temps of 225, and a bacon weave wrapping. My meatloaf's hold together just fine without gadgetry & gizmos.

Perhaps the bacon weave is a novelty in my favor... but I have had several people who weren't all the excited about meatloaf convert to Meatloaf lovers.. { so long as I prepare the meatloaf }
SmokeHound
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18 09 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.....below are the pics from my first smoked meatloaf.... Overall, I’m relatively happy with this first try but it needs “tweaking”. It was moist enough and had the right amount of smoke (thank you Ringers!) but it needed more salt and a few other minor “nips and tucks”.....

I am now on a mission!!!

I’ll tweak my recipe a bit to get it exactly the way I want it – and once it’s “presentable”, I’ll share the recipe with y’all along with the most recent pics.... Thanks SO MUCH to those of you who gave me tips and hints....your comments helped a TON! I can definitely see why folks say “once you’ve had one smoked, you won’t go back....” .

Made a 1.5 pound ML, topped it w/ bacon and on the smoker it went:

Smoked it at 230-250 for just under 2 hours (minion method on my stick burner):

Here it is sliced....

Cheers!

Weber-Smokey Joe
TBD-wishlist

Kosmos Q
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18 09 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get ready for some dang fine Q. You will be hooked first time on the meatloaf.
Rojellio Es Caliente
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19 09 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks good for a first attempt. Holding together is half the battle.... things could have gone very badly.

Presentation wise, you cant go wrong with a bacon weave.

I have done 7x7 which is a bit of a stretch, but found that 6x6 and/or a smaller loaf works best. BUT... it sort of depends on the bacon. I often "nuke it for 30 seconds to warm it up, warm bacon stretches better than cold bacon. You want the loose side of the wrap to just touch sort of a clean seam, rather than having a wide un-baconed gap.... or too wide for the "waistband" so to speak. I orient it loose side down. The bacon weave seems to hold it in a loaf shape quite well.

The basket weave takes a bit of doing, but its not terribly difficult. Lay down 6 strips of bacon, side by side vertically. Flip every other strip up, lay down the horizontal strip, flip/lay down all the vertical strips to lay down flat, then flip up the next set of vertical strips, lay down a horizontal strip.. and so forth until you have a basket weave.

The weave looks awesome, and if the slices are one bacon strip wide.. the presentation factor is that much prettier. With a perfect size loaf, where the bacon seam fuly covers/ slightly overlaps.. the bacon width slices aren't too big meatloaf wise.
Rookie-Smoker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19 09 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rojellio Es Caliente wrote:
That looks good for a first attempt. Holding together is half the battle.... things could have gone very badly.

I've not done a meat loaf. Is it common for them to fall apart? Looking at them they sure look good.
CrazyChef
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19 09 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use a binder (such as egg) to keep it from crumbling.
Rojellio Es Caliente
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19 09 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie-Smoker wrote:
Rojellio Es Caliente wrote:

I've not done a meat loaf. Is it common for them to fall apart? Looking at them they sure look good.

Including an egg helps bind it together. I haven't seen every recipe, but I assume that egg is as much a part of a meatloaf as the ground beef.

Some meat loaves, have a more crumbly texture than others. While it may not actually happen, there is a possibility of loosing its shape, crumbling apart then slipping through the grates, and landing a healthy sized pile of ground beef & assorted bits on the drip pan. Maybe it hasn't actually happened to anyone... BUT it is enough of a concern that many people do them in a loaf pan, to make sure it doesn't crumble/ fall apart. Or the silicon "burrito" wrap. Or my preference, the bacon weave wrapping.

Bread crumb filler OR Cracker Crumb filer are the, most accepted and common types of meatloaf. I grew up with Oatmeal filler... so I have a bias towards that style. The Oatmeal seems to hold together better, while cooking, and after it is sliced.

The yellow layer between loaf & bacon.. I pulled it a little too soon, and should have cooked it longer at / slightly past 180.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22 09 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever heard of smoking meatloaf? That is either going to be damn good or very strange. when you start smoking your post toasties you may need a 12 step program. Good luck.
SmokeHound
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22 09 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless wrote:
Whoever heard of smoking meatloaf? That is either going to be damn good or very strange. when you start smoking your post toasties you may need a 12 step program. Good luck.

I've smoked oatmeal before and put my toast on there as a well..... I'm sure there's a pill for this....but I'm afraid I'd only smoke that as well....

BTW: that was my first smoked ML....and I am hooked! (folks on here were not kidding when they said it was really great....). They lie-eth not! Wink

Weber-Smokey Joe
TBD-wishlist

Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22 09 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmokeHound wrote:
Wreckless wrote:

I've smoked oatmeal before and put my toast on there as a well..... I'm sure there's a pill for this....but I'm afraid I'd only smoke that as well....

BTW: that was my first smoked ML....and I am hooked! (folks on here were not kidding when they said it was really great....). They lie-eth not! Wink

I may be of the same mold. LOL Will have to try it. I may have done stranger things.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22 09 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmokeHound, that meat loaf looks awesome Very Happy I can see a slice of that between some homemade bread and game on, or plated up with some mashed taters and fresh peas. Heck I could go on and on Very Happy Nicely done Smile

Hybrid Cooker
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28 09 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokehound, I will be trying my first ML this week. Did you do some tweaking to your recipe? I'm looking for a recipe to try. Thanks

--jeepdad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: