FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gonna do pork butt need some advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C_D_Z

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05 09 12:04 pm    Post subject: gonna do pork butt need some advice Reply with quote

Ok well I am gonna smoke a pork butt on monday and have some questions as this will be my first time doing this.

1. will a store bought dry rub work for this? or are there some good rubs that can be made with easly found store bought ingredients?

2.I read a lot of people use mustard do i put the rub on the inside or outside?

3. How long should I cook one say between 6 to 8 pounds?

4. What is a good temp I should try to keep the smoker at?

5. Do I need to rap the butt well cooking at some point? or just when letting it rest in a cooler?

6. Are there any other tips that will help?

I am sorry if you see these questions a lot, but everytime I search I either get hungry or I find an answer then I see a different one. which brings it up again.

Thanks for any help.
graybeard
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05 09 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't done too many butts myself but will give you what I've found.

1. Pretty much any rub you like will be fine. I use Head Country on mne and like the profile.

2. I slather mine in a yellow mustard and then add the rub. There are some on hear that apply the rub, then slather and then reapply the rub. The mustard seems to disappear during the cook and basically there to help hold the rub on.

3. Figure about 1.5 hours per pound. YMMV

4. Don't know about "good" but I try to run mine about 230-250.

5. I have never wrapped mine until I take the out and place them in the cooler to rest.

6. I find thatdoing bone-in works best for me. Is a little more loss in the finished weight due to the bone weight but the bone also acts like a pop-up temp guage, when the bone wiggles and comes out clean its done.

* Don't worry about asking the questions, we all have been there and have gone through the same thing. It gives me a chance to review what I've done and gone thru to make sure I remember from one cook to the next.
sizzler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05 09 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

graybeard wrote:
Haven't done too many butts myself but will give you what I've found.

1. Pretty much any rub you like will be fine. I use Head Country on mne and like the profile.

2. I slather mine in a yellow mustard and then add the rub. There are some on hear that apply the rub, then slather and then reapply the rub. The mustard seems to disappear during the cook and basically there to help hold the rub on.

3. Figure about 1.5 hours per pound. YMMV

4. Don't know about "good" but I try to run mine about 230-250.

5. I have never wrapped mine until I take the out and place them in the cooler to rest.

6. I find thatdoing bone-in works best for me. Is a little more loss in the finished weight due to the bone weight but the bone also acts like a pop-up temp guage, when the bone wiggles and comes out clean its done.

* Don't worry about asking the questions, we all have been there and have gone through the same thing. It gives me a chance to review what I've done and gone thru to make sure I remember from one cook to the next.

I second your comments.

@2. the mustard taste disappears while smoking
@5. I wrap mine after it has reached its internal temp of 195 to 200F (95C) than wrap in heavy duty foil and a couple of newspaper pages and put it into a cooler chest for at least an hour

Life is BBQ, everything before and after is just waiting.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=23725&id=1514611952&l=54284b23fb
C_D_Z

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06 09 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for answering my questions, If it doesn't rain on monday I will attempt to cook one of these.
Toga
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06 09 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not use mustard or any kind of slather to try and make the rub stick. For butts I prefer a mix of salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Put on the rub, let the meat rest on the counter while the cooker is getting up to temp, sprinkle more rub on right before it goes on the cooker.

UDS
ECB x2
Gasser
C_D_Z

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08 09 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply with how you do it. I couldn't find a butt with the bone in it anymore Crying or Very sad so I wont be doing one today.

so this leaves me time to learn more about doing it and find some good rubs.
C_D_Z

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10 10 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess I can bring this thread back as tomorrow I will get to do my first brisket and butt. now that it is sunny here.

I got a 5.5 pound butt so I am guessing around 8 hours give or take what I keep the smoker at?

I will be doing 2 turkey breasts, 1 butt, 1 brisket, and some of those awesome ABT'S

I will post pictures of everything tomorrow when done, I hope it turns out good.
hadeze

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24 10 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where are the pictures?
vande250

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01 10 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hadeze wrote:
where are the pictures?

Yeah, My mouth is watering... how about some pics???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: