FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UDS Charcoal basket Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KCChiefs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03 09 1:58 am    Post subject: UDS Charcoal basket Help Reply with quote

I am in the process of building a UDS and can't find any expanded in my area to build one any ideas of other materials i could make one out of Question
Adamski
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03 09 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there Lowes in your area? I had a hell of a time finding it and finally found it hidden in the steel section.
mtrammel
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03 09 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had good luck with a fab shop for a local contractor. They havent minded selling me a piece here or there and dont charge me to cut any larger tubes down to lengths my trailer can handle.
In Atlanta GA area, HD and Lowes charge same price for a 3-4 foot section as I pay for a 20 foot section in a steel yard. I have found a couple salvage yards that pick up left overs from contruction sites, he sells new steel that maybe has some rust where it was exposed to elements (nothing a wire brush wont remove) for .40/lb If he has it, he cant be beat.
Just a couple thoughts...good luck...the hunt is part of the fun?
UDS
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03 09 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KCChiefs, both Adam, and mtrammel have great places for basket material. You will pay top dollar at the H.D. and Lowes but a one time deal might be in your budget. Also if there are some sheet metal shops in your area or fab shops as mentioned check for drops. My advice is do not ask for scrap, there is no such thing. Ask if they have any drops that you might buy.

Hybrid Cooker
ShahBQ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04 09 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a 12"x24" sheet at HD for $10. For me HD was my best option.

However, I think I need to get another sheet as my basket is very tall and not very wide. Just outta curiosity what is the diameter and height most people use on their baskets for a UDS?
“All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'. I'm trying to impress people here Lisa. You don't win friends with salad.” -Homer Simpson
Marky C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04 09 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShahBQ wrote:
Just outta curiosity what is the diameter and height most people use on their baskets for a UDS?

I have one that is 6" tall x 12-13" diameter. It is large enough to burn for atleast 12hrs with lump. That is the aprox size that BDS uses, but they also sell a smaller one.
If you use a larger one and don't fill it up, it does not seem to burn even. I'd rather use a smaller diameter and fill it up w/charcoal. I have questioned why a lot of folks are using these large baskets. It seems they are about the same diameter as the drum and 12" high. That's a lot of charcoal. I use mine a lot and know a lot of people using them with the same dimensions and have no complaints.
So to answer your question: 6" x 12" is plenty.
Good luck.

2 Drum Smokers
Traeger Texas
CharGriller
22" Weber Kettle
Portable Sportsman Gasser
Sizzle Q Griddle
1 Hot Rock
silver smoker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04 09 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kc Chiefs- Metal by the foot sells expanded metal, and they also have Saturday Hours. They are just east of downtown Kansas City.
http://www.metalbythefoot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: