FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salty Ribs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hawk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21 06 1:34 am    Post subject: Salty Ribs Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,
First time joiner to this great site. Iv'e only been smoking ribs maybe four or five times and getting better each time.

I have been noticing a very salty taste to my ribs. The day before cooking I rub my ribs with a well known highly recommended product that has in its name a word that describes the rear end. Maybe the ribs that I buy have some salt solution packed in the vac seal bag and rinsing would take care of this problem. During smoking I mop the ribs with apple juice.

Any other sugestion on mopping to sweeten the ribs.
Thanks for your help
Hawk
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21 06 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy your ribs at wally world or your buying either tyson or hormel brand ribs, chances are they are injected with up to 12% "flavor enhancing" solution. If the ribs are injected, it must state so on the package.

Look for ribs that are not injected, sometimes saying "100% natural" on the package. If your buying ribs out of the cryovac(cello-wrapped), ask the guy behind the meat counter if they're injected. If he doesn't know, find another meat market or butcher. Wink
FairWeatherSmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21 06 2:29 am    Post subject: Rub Reply with quote

Check the contents of your marinade/rub/sauce. Most commercial ones are loaded with sodium.
BarbeCrue
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21 06 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try making your own rub so you can control the amount of salt. As far as the ribs being vac packed in a salt , brine type of liquid, then you could always soak the ribs in a sink of clean, cold water for 30 mins. Remove water and start again for another 30. That should get most of the brine out. OR buy un-seasoned ribs Very Happy
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21 06 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Salty Ribs Reply with quote

hawk wrote:
Hello Everyone,
First time joiner to this great site. Iv'e only been smoking ribs maybe four or five times and getting better each time.

I have been noticing a very salty taste to my ribs. The day before cooking I rub my ribs with a well known highly recommended product that has in its name a word that describes the rear end. Maybe the ribs that I buy have some salt solution packed in the vac seal bag and rinsing would take care of this problem. During smoking I mop the ribs with apple juice.

Any other sugestion on mopping to sweeten the ribs.
Thanks for your help
Hawk

it is alright...you can say it...Bad Byron's Butt Rub has been said to be a little salty...but it has also been said that if you dump the contents of the shaker into a bowl and mix it back up it helps the saltiness...sometimes the salt settles to the top....
Caroline's Rub
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21 06 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While good stuff, Bad Byrons is a bit salty...that was the first thing that popped into my head when I started reading your post. I prefer rubs that don't overdo the salt and focus more on its use to promote development of a crust, osmosis, and eveness of flavor.

Cut back a bit on it to start. You can always giveth more, but put on too much, and you can't taketh away!
100% No-Hassle Money Back Guarantee
MoeBiscuits
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23 06 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up on store bought rubs. Sometimes they're great, sometimes not. But at least with making my own, or even modifying someone else's recipe, I can control the salt content. The first couple of times I did ribs, they came out way too salty.

You might just try to find a good rub recipe (plenty of them here), and just omit, or cut way back on the salt. Of course, in the end, it's all a matter of personal taste. Personally, I'd rather not have to drink a half a gallon of water after eating my ribs. Wink

Right next to the coleslaw and beans!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: