FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

apple cider???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FingerlickinQ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31 09 12:25 pm    Post subject: apple cider??? Reply with quote

have a question for everyone, i know alot of people use apple juice to smoke with, or spray their ribs from time to time, has anyone ever used apple cider? if so what results have you had? does it carmalize? burn? give better flavor to meat? any advice and inputs would be greatly appreciated, i was thinking if this could maybe be an alternative, or even a 50/50 apple juice and cider? thanks all
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31 09 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah 50/50 apple juice & apple cider works great, does nice things to ribs, no noticeable taste but i think it does help to improve color a bit. Little bit more cherry color. Surely makes for a moist product. Some add a shot or three of Jack to it too. Not sure why... maybe a squirt for the ribs & a squirt for the cook.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31 09 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use two parts Apple juice to one part Apple cider, for spritzing. I love it.

Hybrid Cooker
Tek465

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01 09 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on how "Hard" the cider is.

I didn't notice much of an improvement with fresh cider (other then clogging my sprayer). It worked fine, but I think a hard cider might work better.

I've been mixing my AJ with a little cider vinegar, wooster sauce, and a pat of butter. Looks almost like Apple Cider.
hldhm
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01 09 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cider mixed with apple juice is a great spritz for turkey and chicken. Also, pour a little in the cavity if doing whole birds.
Toga
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01 09 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used it for a mop when I experimented with moping and also injected it into butts and chickens. Hot apple cider cooled and injcted into a bird is yummy. When I mention hot apple cider I mean the drink with rum, cinnamon, all spice, and a touch of nutmeg. Everyone has their own formula for it.

UDS
ECB x2
Gasser
MaineMapleDave
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01 09 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Equal parts apple cider (NOT apple juice) and apple cider vinegar. I use it as a spritz, and also as an injection in pork butts. I use about 6 ounces per butt and I honestly think it has a good effect.
Cameron's Stovetop Smoker
See the pix at:
http://flickr.com/photos/21065315@N05/sets/72157603328370636/
Eatrbbq

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01 09 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: apple cider??? Reply with quote

FingerlickinQ wrote:
have a question for everyone, i know alot of people use apple juice to smoke with, or spray their ribs from time to time, has anyone ever used apple cider?

I don't use a sprayer or mop to add moisture or baste my meats - I just do a wet smoke.

In my Meadow Creek TS250 I use a large pan filled with Apple Juice on almost every cook. I add water or juice as the cook progresses.

I let the wet smoke do all my basting.

When I can find Apple Cider I prefer it.

As for flavor? I use apple wood for smoking and adding apple juice or cider (when I can get it) and it certainly adds flavor. Applewood has such a mild sweet smoke anyways, I've run dry smokes and wet smokes - the wet ones with juice or cider always increase that mild sweet smokey flavor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: