FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Propane tank..?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Z.E.U.S

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24 09 2:58 am    Post subject: Propane tank..? Reply with quote

Hey All.....Our team has a sweet 500gallon used propane tank that we use for our comps. However i was looking for myself at home and parties and was going to go with a 300gallon. So in my searches on the net i'm not having that great of luck in MISSOURI. I see some 500gallons selling for $250 & 300 for $150 but its in OHIO. I even tried craigslist & Ebay and they too have 500 really cheap but far away. My feeling on it is that i dont need that much of a tank. I wonder if i should go even less and get a 200-250. I was hoping to get 2-3 racks per my 2 door setup... so that way i'd have enough room for butt, ribs, brisket & even if i want to i can pull the shelves out and do a half hog....any suggestions or links where else i can find something???
Brinkman Smoke & Pit Prof.
KCBS - CBJ
Johnny V
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24 09 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Z.E.U.S. , Give me a couple days and I will look in to it for you. I think I paid 20 for my 500.
RandyA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25 09 10:32 am    Post subject: 250 Max.. Reply with quote

I have a 250 gal and it will do what ever you will need. I will tell you a 120 makes a great one too.

If you are coming to Florida (Bradenton) would be able to fix you up cheap..

Good luck!

Randy
Z.E.U.S

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04 09 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Johnny....I was just talking to my neighbor and he mentioned about our county Co-OP Farmers & feed store here in St. Charles County and how they may have some old ones to sell...so I'll keep you posted...
KCBS - CBJ
purplewg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05 09 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can easily do 8 racks of ribs one one shelf in my 120 gallon tank. That leaves the second shelf free for appetizers.

3 weeks ago I did 6 racks on a 24 inch diameter rack in my vertical section using a $9 rib rack from the Depot. While those were cooking I did 2-8 pound butts on the next rack above. I didn't even have the third rack in it.

That might give you some idea of how much a 120 gallon tank can do.

Don't squat with your spurs on.........
hybrid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07 09 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey if you guys are doing voodoo magic on finding tanks, count me in.

Im desperately trying to find anything from 80-120 gallon tanks for my patio build.

I put up a wanted ad on the local craigs and got a 30 gallon for the fire box...........that might even be too small. I may need a bigger one. If I could find a 50 gallon small tank and a 125 big one Id be ectstatic about it.
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07 09 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 lb tank for $50....... Blair Nebraska

Tank on craigslist.
http://omaha.craigslist.org/tls/1360870655.html
hybrid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07 09 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish...........but you did say 100 pound? Im not even sure what that is for gallon size...........Id guess its 30 gallon. looks about the same as the one Im going to go look at for 30 bucks today.

I need the tank for the cook chamber and I can build a fire box to suit. So Ive been looking everywhere for some broken down aircompressor tanks that are in the 80 to 100 gallon size..........Just so I can get her running. I figure thats as big as I could possibly need for my back yard. Hell, if I cooked 6 or 7 racks of ribs and 4 briskets Id feed everyone I dared want near my house.

A mini smoker is more realistic but a waste of build time. Would much rather have people come over for a small 1/2 or 1/4 pig than to have work harder to make a bunch of stuff.

OH and Im in ALBUQUERQUE by the way. Id imagine I could find tons of stuff but its not so..........need to hit up the people out in the outside of the city for tanks and such.
seattlepitboss
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07 09 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a nice 24x72" horizontal air tank I'm not going to use. My buddy has a 30x96" horizontal air tank he's not going to use either. You could get mine from me for $100 and his from him for $150. BTW, air tanks are better than propane because they have thicker walls.

I've got a 30x96" propane tank coming in next week. It was in a huge fire, which burned through the pipes so the propane all burned. The structure was a total loss and the tank cannot be recertified for propane. I'm hoping it will be stress-relieved so when I cut the doors I won't get any warping at all. Will post pix when I get it.

seattlepitboss
hybrid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07 09 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem with a lot of the offers for me at least is that getting it here represents a cost significant enough that you should just go buy a rolled pipe of the right diameter.

Its unfortunate really. Thankfully another member gave me a tip on who to call in New Mexico so Im hoping it pans out.
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08 09 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all else fails use an old hotwater heater tank,under that sheetmetal and insulation is a nice steel tank about 3/8" thick I build my smoker out of one and can cook a case of butts in it no prob have a few times.and the laying on every street corner.

Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Z.E.U.S

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04 09 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet setup on that smoker ..... wish i was still nextdoor to my buddy's neighbor who had a MiG welder and all i had to do was buy my metal and borrow his rig....lol
KCBS - CBJ
Mikey P's BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06 09 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where can you find these tanks listed??

I live in ohio and would love to find a 300 gallon tank.... Any hints??
QObsession
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07 09 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeus and other guys looking for tanks.
Go straight to the source, get your local yellow pages and look for Propane companies first then second look for (scrap yards) companies that buy steel, iron aluminum etc.

The propane companies will usually sell you old tanks (bought mine for 24 bucks). Sometimes if the front office says no go around back and get one of the guys to sell you one. If neither way works ask them what do they do with the old tanks. They will probably send you to the scrap yard they sell the old tanks to.

The scrap yard will usually have old propane and air tanks depending on the size. As the man said the air tanks are usually thicker as specially if they were compressed using a 440VAC or gasoline engine. You may also find all the steel you need at the scrap yard for .25 cents on the dollar.

Let your fingers do the walking, then drive on over. I know it is old fashion but it works great. Let me know what you find, I love scrap yard finds.
Mikey P's BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07 09 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my tank came from the scrap yard but i got there at the perfect time. The guy inthe crane was about 2 minuted from dropping that big ass magnet in the truck it was in and probably would have smashed it...

If you could get it from the propane company it would probably be less chances of it being dented...

How this are those 250-275 gallon propane tanks??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: