FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Available tank question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HogFan4

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05 09 10:07 pm    Post subject: Available tank question Reply with quote

I have been searching for sometime now for a tank for my 1st build. I was wanting to start out with a propane in the range of 125 - 250 gal. size. Can't seem to find one anywhere. I have an uncle in Arkansas who is an avid smoker and does some cooking and catering for various events/people who has come across an old fuel tank (diesel I believe) 36" x 60" in size. I know many many people including him have used fuel tanks and been successful, but I have read where some are talking about the petro permeating the steel. Is an initial long burnout after opening not sufficient in removing this. My uncle has been cooking for sometime now with as I said a fuel tank and no probs or complaints, just many returning fans of his cooking.

Was wanting to make a road trip in the next few weeks and pick this thing up. His welder was going to go ahead and cut the door(s) in if he has time.

What do you folks think.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05 09 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HogFan4, I say go for it. I would however before burning it out pressure wash it and use a good de-greaser. There have been many used with good success. Cleanliness and preparation is the key.

Hybrid Cooker
HogFan4

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05 09 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks K.A.M. your advice is very well respected by me. Thats just what I wanted to hear.

Next questions:
With a 36 x 60 size would a single door be better than doubles or is it just preference?

For a rookie cook, is there a style of smoker that would be best i.e. standard offset, tuning plate model, reverse flow?

Is there a certain amount of racks stacked above each other that can be used with only certain style smokers? I would like to have at least 2 tiers of racks seeing that the diameter is 36".
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05 09 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HogFan4, on metal as thin as that I believe I would stay with one door. I think structurally it will be a lot tighter fit.
The big trend now a days is reverse flow, but tuning plates are also a proven method. It all depends on what your preference is. Also you can have a stack on each end and have enough tuning plates to create a reverse flow and have the best of both worlds.
On a 36'' diam. I would no doubt go with at least two racks. You could easily go three.
Also I would look at some of milts cookers he has some nice cookers built from tanks. If you have a time finding his pics let me know.

Hybrid Cooker
milt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06 09 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HogFan4 this cooker is from a propane tank and is about 30" X 48" I put two stacks on them with tuning
plates that move so I can use it as a regular or reverse flow, the stacks reach down to the lowest rack. One door is all you need on this size cooker.
I also used three racks, if you plan on three racks you will need to trim ribs to St. Louis style if using
rib racks.

This cooker is an oil tank about 6' long and 4' deep with this one I used two doors one larger then the other. When
serving out of this one I serve from the smaller door. I went with two shelves on this one.

Like k.a.m. said get it good and clean. Never had any thing but great smells and "Q" come out of any of
these cookers.
I blame the growing of an extra finger on the right hands on the 60's-70's Wink Laughing
Smokin' Hoglegs
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06 09 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milt wrote:
HogFan4 this cooker is from a propane tank and is about 30" X 48" I put two stacks on them with tuning
plates that move so I can use it as a regular or reverse flow, the stacks reach down to the lowest rack. One door is all you need on this size cooker.
I also used three racks, if you plan on three racks you will need to trim ribs to St. Louis style if using
rib racks.

Milt, do you find yourself going the reverse flow route, or standard more often? In that short(ish) of a pit is there much difference in temps end to end with either style? Do you use more wood in RF mode?
Anyway, those are some fine looking cookers! Good luck with your build HogFan4!
smokey joe
CI
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06 09 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HogFan4, these are the cookers I was talking about. Thanks milt, I believe these will help him greatly. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
milt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07 09 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reefermadness wrote:
milt wrote:
rib racks.

Milt, do you find yourself going the reverse flow route, or standard more often? In that short(ish) of a pit is there much difference in temps end to end with either style? Do you use more wood in RF mode?
Anyway, those are some fine looking cookers! Good luck with your build HogFan4!

Most of the time I use them as tuning plates, It is a little short
for a reverse flow cooker. I find the extra stack useful for some temp. control and when just keeping
the pit warm when serving I will open the other stack
to get some extra smoke out in the crowd(smoke sells Wink )
HogFan4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07 09 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks k.a.m. and milt for the input and photos. Milt, do you have more detailed photos of the double stack propane tank?
milt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08 09 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pictures of the build, not shure what you are looking for. Hope this helps.

HillbillySmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08 09 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt is making me miss the mountains with those pics, 2 more months till deer season Very Happy
Smoked Up
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09 09 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Available tank question Reply with quote

HogFan4 wrote:
I have been searching for sometime now for a tank for my 1st build. I was wanting to start out with a propane in the range of 125 - 250 gal. size. Can't seem to find one anywhere. I have an uncle in Arkansas who is an avid smoker and does some cooking and catering for various events/people who has come across an old fuel tank (diesel I believe) 36" x 60" in size. I know many many people including him have used fuel tanks and been successful, but I have read where some are talking about the petro permeating the steel. Is an initial long burnout after opening not sufficient in removing this. My uncle has been cooking for sometime now with as I said a fuel tank and no probs or complaints, just many returning fans of his cooking.

Was wanting to make a road trip in the next few weeks and pick this thing up. His welder was going to go ahead and cut the door(s) in if he has time.

What do you folks think.

Unless you are dead set on using an oil tank from Arkansas, I can save you the trip down I-40. I will have some tanks this week and will let you have one for just a little gas money.

Milt, on your oil drum smoker, where is the firebox? And, what kind is it? Can I see some pics of the backside?

There is a BBQ restaurant in Lavergne Tn that uses a large diesel tank for a cooker, and the fire is contained within the cooker at one end.
milt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09 09 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Available tank question Reply with quote

Smoked Up wrote:
HogFan4 wrote:

What do you folks think.

Unless you are dead set on using an oil tank from Arkansas, I can save you the trip down I-40. I will have some tanks this week and will let you have one for just a little gas money.

Milt, on your oil drum smoker, where is the firebox? And, what kind is it? Can I see some pics of the backside?

There is a BBQ restaurant in Lavergne Tn that uses a large diesel tank for a cooker, and the fire is contained within the cooker at one end.

The heat source for that cooker is propane, I have a deflector plate over the burners which
also works as a shelf to put wood on for smoke. There is an outside door on each side to slide the
wood on the shelf.

The lower part of the door with the louvers supplies secondary air to the burners, the top section gives
access to the shelf.
Mike D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30 09 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Milt,
Iam in the process this weekend to start to build a smoker. I have a propane tank like urs. Have you ever considered using a smaller propane tank mounted under the cooker? Instead of attatched to the side for the fire box?
Mike
Mike D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30 09 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another stupid question. Can someone tell me what a reverse flow is? Is it a system that works like my wood boiler in my house, by the heat rises up to the cast iron grates then flows along them towards the front door then passes over the grates making its way to the back of the firebox and up the flue.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30 09 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike D wrote:
I have another stupid question. Can someone tell me what a reverse flow is? Is it a system that works like my wood boiler in my house, by the heat rises up to the cast iron grates then flows along them towards the front door then passes over the grates making its way to the back of the firebox and up the flue.

Mike D, a reverse flow cooker is set up with a plate that runs from the fire box to the opposite end of the cooker chamber about 6'' below the cooking grate. At the opposite end of the fire box there is a gap in that plate about 6'' wide and the width of the cooking chamber, your stack is located on the fire box end of the cooker. As the heat/smoke enters the cooker it travels to the opposite side and then up toward the grate and then back towards the stack/fire box end. Hence the name reverse flow. I hope I explained this well enough. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: