FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New build started...TDS (updated 9/13 -heavy pics)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtrammel
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19 09 11:53 am    Post subject: New build started...TDS (updated 9/13 -heavy pics) Reply with quote

Playing now...
Started a new build tonight
Like the grill space on my offset and the functionality of a UDS so combined them to see how it comes out. Call it a TDS (since its shaped like a T...maybe its already been done but its a good exercise)
started with the horizontal drum...

Cut out doors and some straps from a sacrificial drum as door backing...

New Plasma cutter made short work of the cutting.

Started on the Vertical drum...

started matching them up...

got the ash tray made and cut the expanded...will have to get a coal grate tomorrow and some tubing to make the grill rack. Started measuring the angle for the rack guides.

Thats as far as I got tonight.
More to come.
UDS

Last edited by mtrammel on Mon Sep 14 09 11:15 am; edited 12 times in total
day_trippr
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19 09 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This ought to be interesting, particularly if you want to have even cooking temperatures across the top drum. Some kind of diffuser (equivalent to a long flat baffle or tuning plates on offsets) might be necessary.

btw, this feels like an eye test Confused
Were those supposed to be clickable links to actual photos? Smile

Cheers
mtrammel
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20 09 12:25 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

day_trippr,
thats not a bad idea...will probably use that advice. My photos had always been huge when I've posted. So I was determined to downsize...think I got carried away. Will probably need to edit that later.
UDS
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20 09 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtrammel, this is a very unique arrangement Very Happy I like it. I would like it better if My old eyes could see the pics Laughing It will be interesting to see how the horizontal handles the heat as far as temps across the grate, but I believe you have something here. I will be watching for updates.Very nice work. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
Jon D. Q.
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20 09 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the concept of what you are doing here very much. I could be wrong here but my first thought on looking at the two barrels stacked together is that if you trimmed off the excess of the firebox barrel that sticks up into the cooking chamber I think you would greatly enhance the evening out of the temps across the bottom of your cooking grate. I think that then locating an exhaust at each end of the cooking chamber with the top of your exit holes 2" below grate level would make this a pretty even temperatured pit. Just my 2 cents worth humbly submitted. I very much look forward to following your project however you proceed.
mtrammel
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20 09 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. Seem to be having technical difficulties getting photos resized. Have swapped to plan B on that...
Jon D. Q. We are on the same page. The next time I get to work on this, plan to split that excess you mention up and weld it onto bottom of the horizontal. Hoping this will re-enforce the meeting of those two thin metals and reduce some stress/warpage once it gets heated? We agree on the stack placement as well.
Thanks to you both for the feedback. I've only been at this a few weeks and trying to cut teeth. Appreciate the kind words. Please smack me if you see anything that needs "improvement"!
UDS

Last edited by mtrammel on Thu Aug 20 09 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
mtrammel
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20 09 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...got the photos fixed...
UDS
BabyHuey
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20 09 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtrammel, That is gonna be an awesome cooker! I am looking forward to seeing it come together! Good Job Wink

Link to my pit build slideshow:

http://s333.photobucket.com/albums/m398/LilBabyHuey/?action=view¤t=4675c7d7.pbw
mtrammel
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24 09 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did all I could this weekend on this project and discovered a couple of possibilities. That metal is thin and my skill set just isnt ready for joining those two barrels together such that they would be airtight. I was making some hasty ugly welds because going any slower and I would blow through it. Had the Hobart 140 dialed as far down as she'd go...I know, personal problem. So the welds I was making were easy to break apart which only compounded the issue. Then ole heat distortion came over to visit even though I had spot welds every few inches, I now had 1/4 to 1/2 inch gaps. I came to realize that these two drums were not going to be airtight so long as I worked on them.

Think I like the concept but this isnt the way to execute. Headed back to the design board.
UDS
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24 09 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtrammel, the thin metal will test your patience. Set it aside and play with it, as you get a bit more acclimated to your machine it will come together. Its a nice build idea.

Hybrid Cooker
ShahBQ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24 09 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, but you could always weld her with a few tacks and then seal her up with some stove putty...not ideal, but it works. Cool
“All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'. I'm trying to impress people here Lisa. You don't win friends with salad.” -Homer Simpson
stringbender128
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26 09 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your on your way! Good job!
purplewg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27 09 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to see the finished product. It should be really nice....

Don't squat with your spurs on.........
Jimbob
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27 09 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtrammel wrote:
Well, I did all I could this weekend on this project and discovered a couple of possibilities. That metal is thin and my skill set just isnt ready for joining those two barrels together such that they would be airtight. I was making some hasty ugly welds because going any slower and I would blow through it. Had the Hobart 140 dialed as far down as she'd go...I know, personal problem. So the welds I was making were easy to break apart which only compounded the issue. Then ole heat distortion came over to visit even though I had spot welds every few inches, I now had 1/4 to 1/2 inch gaps. I came to realize that these two drums were not going to be airtight so long as I worked on them.

Think I like the concept but this isnt the way to execute. Headed back to the design board.

Spot weld them, and them seal your gaps with the old style red and black JB Weld, available at Wally World. Good to 2000 degrees.
ShahBQ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27 09 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Spot weld them, and them seal your gaps with the old style red and black JB Weld, available at Wally World. Good to 2000 degrees.

I was under the impression that JB was only good to 500*F... Is there one that's rated higher? If so I could really use it!
“All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'. I'm trying to impress people here Lisa. You don't win friends with salad.” -Homer Simpson
day_trippr
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27 09 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was under the impression that JB was only good to 500*F... Is there one that's rated higher? If so I could really use it!

Good call. http://www.jbweld.net/faq.php#faq001

I'd stick with furnace cement:
http://www.rutland.com/productinfo.php?product_id=31

or a tub of Rutland's furnace cement, also good well beyond the range of a mutant UDS. Wink

If the two drums are at least tack welded in enough places to provide all the structural strength needed to support cooking grates and food, all that's needed is something passive to seal the gaps. Either the tube or tub stuff should work...

Cheers
ShahBQ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27 09 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do decide to use the stove cement, I would only use it on the outside of the barrels just to be safe. Cool

I'm eager to see how your barrels are shaping up! Let us know how you decide to solve your issue. Good luck!
mtrammel
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28 09 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the input...I plan to tear back into this starting Friday. Have picked up all the materials for the inside of the horizontal grill and stacks...not sure If I will proceed with what I have or back up and punt but either way the basic shape I like and will proceed that way.
UDS
mtrammel
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31 09 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ding dingstart of round two.
So the original TDS, one picd above is resting in pieces at the moment probably to become parts for the redesigned TDS
Much easier to make airtight this way
Started with the basic drum smoker type build except there will be no grill in this drum. The top will be fixed so a side door is being built. Whether I can seal this door will be the make/break question I suppose?
You will see door, side hole for future air intake, two top holes for openings into top drum

And if youve been following the plasma cutter thread, heres the kerf of mine with a inch angle for scale.

Added a top drum, where all the racks will be

Got it leveled up

Lined up the heat vents and tested the internal stacks from top and bottom drums...

Measured up the diffuser and air intake also

Have all the parts measured for the stacks and racks, and the charcoal basket is already started.
Havent welded anything yet, I plan to attack the drums with the twisted wire on the grinder first.
Far as I got, but Im a lot happier with this design.
UDS

Last edited by mtrammel on Mon Sep 14 09 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01 09 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtrammel, this is a good design. I like what you have so far Very Happy I look forward to seeing some updates.

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: