FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting on my UDS today! (UPDATED: First Cook Pics)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShahBQ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17 09 4:26 am    Post subject: Starting on my UDS today! (UPDATED: First Cook Pics) Reply with quote

So I went shopping yesterday to start builing my drum smoker today.

I had originally planned on using expanded steel for the grates, but we went shopping at SuperK yesterday for clothes for the kids and they had a bunch of grilling stuff on clearance. I ended up getting a chimney starter for $6 and 4 21.5 in weber style grates for $7 a piece (2 for me and 2 for my buddy) as well as 18lbs of RO for $4! I am pretty pleased with my purchase! Very Happy
Only problem now is finding material for the charcoal basket, as I was going to buy a large sheet for the grates and make the basket out of the scraps...and I'm not about to spend $60 on the material for the basket. I will just have to keep an eye out.

I will be starting my build after I get out of work today with any luck and will update with some pics.
“All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'. I'm trying to impress people here Lisa. You don't win friends with salad.” -Homer Simpson

Last edited by ShahBQ on Mon Aug 24 09 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17 09 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShahBQ, congrats on your shopping scores Very Happy If you have a Home Depot nearby you can by 13 gauge flat expanded metal 12'' x 24'' or 3/4'' flat 24'' x 24''. It should be in the hardware area.

Hybrid Cooker
ShahBQ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17 09 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip k.a.m.! I will need to stop by after work, there is a Home Depot right on my way home!
“All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'. I'm trying to impress people here Lisa. You don't win friends with salad.” -Homer Simpson
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17 09 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShahBQ, if your HD does not carry it try an Ace hardware if you have one in your area, they should carry it as well. I look forward to following your cooker build.

Hybrid Cooker
erniesshop
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17 09 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you start cooking with a U.D.S.............
You'll wonder why you didn't build one sooner !!!!
ShahBQ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17 09 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And lucky for me, there is one of those after the HD on the way home! HAHAHA! Thanks again k.a.m.!
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17 09 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erniesshop wrote:
Once you start cooking with a U.D.S.............
You'll wonder why you didn't build one sooner !!!!

I'll second that one. Just finished the best ham steak ever on the UDS for dinner Very Happy

The Bride of Franken Smoker
Adamski
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18 09 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the build. I built one this summer and love it. Alot of trial and error, but very fun.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29147&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=40
ShahBQ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20 09 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! Unfortunately I wasn't able to get started yet. Looks like this Saturday is the day. Again, I will make sure and post the pics. Cool
ShahBQ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24 09 12:51 pm    Post subject: Starting on my UDS today! (UPDATED: First Cook Pics) Reply with quote

Alright! Finally got the UDS finished. Unfortunately my batteries were dead for the build so I couldn't get any pics of the process....but oh well. I have pics of the first cook!

I smoked a couple Tri-tips from Costco at 250* with RO and hickory chunks for about 2.5 hours til the internal temp was about 145*. For the last hour of the cook I added some twice baked potatoes and some corn on the cob. Everything turned out delicious! I was amazed how well the cooker held the temp. And it was nice that after I was done, I just closed the intake and I have plenty of coal for my next cook! I am very pleased with my UDS and will easily recommend one to anyone!

Tri-tip hitting the smoker!

Thin blue smoke Very Happy

I would have taken pics of the food plated...but at that time I was a little busy! Laughing
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24 09 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShahBQ, awesome job on your cooker Very Happy And from the looks of that Tri-Tip you have her dialed in just right. Nicely done Smile

Hybrid Cooker
ShahBQ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24 09 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks k.a.m.! I was pretty pleased with how the Tri-tip turned out! It had a nice ring and was very moist! Oh, and thanks again for the tip on the expanded steel!
stringbender128
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26 09 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job bro!
ShahBQ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26 09 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks stringbender128!
mtrammel
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26 09 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job. I'd eat off that one...do I need reservations?
UDS
ShahBQ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26 09 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mtrammel!
No reservations needed! However I treat it like a can drive....bring in some beer and you can eat! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: