FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lyfe Tyme smoker?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RSZ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30 05 12:09 pm    Post subject: Lyfe Tyme smoker? Reply with quote

Anyone have any experience with Life Time pits of Texas? I have an opportunity to purchases a trailer mounted, 20" model smoker with 2 doors and an upright section. If you have used one I would like your opinion. Here in New England finding a smoker like this is no easy chore. I currently use a Brinkman offset smoker, which has been ok but it is hard to control the temp, it runs hotter than I would like and it is on the small side.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30 05 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good design, hope you got it at a good price. Do you have a SnP pro? If so check out the post on fire management.
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01 05 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyfe Tyme pit are great. Nice and heavy, well made. Been to the shop out in Uvalde to check them out first part of June. Nice folks great quality in a simple pit. I decided to go a bit more deluxe offset and got the Gator Pit. Jump on it if the price is right. The shipping is already paid for! You will like it Very Happy

Zilla
Ol' Tex

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03 05 9:08 pm    Post subject: Lyfe Tyme Pit Reply with quote

Excellent pit. I use a 20" single door and it is great. Good on temperature control. Get it good and hot to start with and then it just settles into the 225 - 250 range and cruises.

I personally compared it to the $1000+ Gator equivalent - went to the Gator shop and found the Gator welding and fit-up quality and the feel to be slightly lower in my opinion. I know this will upset the Gator folks but bring it on (after you have examined a Lyfe Tyme carefully). Get it before someone else does. Tex
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04 05 1:57 am    Post subject: design first Reply with quote

It all starts with the right design. All offset smokers have a major flaw, they can't maintain heat evenly across the grill!
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04 05 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beg to differ, and there are a couple decent pit builders down in Houston that would probably disagree. They use tuning plates to regulate the heat across the grate and eliminate hot spots. Other offset pit builders use a pipe with tuning holes cut in it to transfer heat and smoke from the firebox to the cooking chamber.

Just my 2/100ths of a buck Very Happy
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04 05 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Tex, Really isn't fair to compare the two on price. I have been to both the Lyfe tyme shop in Uvalde and the Gator pit shop in Houston. Both make a fine product as far as fabrication, fit and finish. Lyfe Tyme is not a custom shop and Gator pit is. This is where the real difference lies. LT offers an off the shelf, basic production pit of good quality and seemingly lower price. They do not however have the small details inside that make a big difference. LT will build some of these in at extra cost and then guess what? The price is more than a Gator! I know because I shopped before I made my purchase. GP includes stock.

Full width heat deflector, LT has a partial
Tuning plates LT has none
Four heavy duty casters LT has two pipe wheels on one end
Framed slide out food racks all around LT has drop in unframed pieces of EXP. Metal
Ball Drain Valve LT has an open drain pipe you hang a soup can under
Alot more steel shelf space around the pit
Square uprights which can hold alot more food than round uprights do.
And more if you take the time to look.

Like I said no comparison pound for pound cuz Gator gives you a ton more for the money. The best quality of the pit above is it is already up north. Lyfe Tyme is a fine pit but for a different type of consumer than the Gator.

Travis creek
How do the smokers you build and promote maintain heat across the grill? I noticed that your pit would have to be classified as an offset type pit also but your fire box appears to be in the back instead of on one side. How are your pit superior in design to the old style side offset. Are they made from new steel? Can you explain in detail so we can all understand more about the inner workings of your pits compared to offsets.

Looking forward to your reply, Zilla
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04 05 10:15 am    Post subject: Design Reply with quote

Maybe I can make a comparison. If you take a thermometer and place it in each heater vent of your house, the further away you move from the source, the cooler the air will be. The same is true of a smoker. Airflow is everything. When the heat/smoke source is at one end, the further you move away, the lower the temp will be. The larger the smoker, the more noticeable the temp difference. You can certainly place baffles or such inside to help the problem, but when you channel the heat further inside the smoking chamber, you simply move the hot spot further along and you loose the smoke effect behind the baffle.

So for the challenge, choose your brand of offset smoker, choose the size, and bring it down. We'll spread equal number of thermometers over the grill surface of yours and mine, let them heat and maintain temp for 2 hrs. If your smoker maintains closer temps over the entire surface than mine, I'll give you mine, if yours looses, you buy mine. Any takers???
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04 05 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I ASKED is for you to explain the operation of YOUR pit, Not a reiteration of the shortcomings of the offset! Any takers???? Twisted Evil Anyboby can claim anything in print! How about a learned explanation? Come on Travis put your money where your mouth is!!! If you belive in your product give us the lowdown not a song and dance. We can can get that at the local dance bar for a lot less than one of your smokers!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Come on man tell it !!!!
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04 05 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy guys... put your you know what away and take it easy. From what I gather Travis has the fire box out back, not on the side, that is how he can claim even temp as the heat doesnt travel from left to right accross the grill surface but from underneath or slightly to the side at the back.

I saw several big rig units at the Canadian open that used this very design. I dont think Travis has the market on this idea. Personally, I want different temps over my grill as this affords the ability to do different meats at differing temps also the old ABT's away from the firebox...
Even grill temp may be needed if you are vending or competing where you are doing only one kind of meat at a time but who of us cooks for our own use, more than 4 or 5 racks of ribs at a time and a rib rack solves that problem, an I not right in what I say.
Why argue the virtues of whos smoker is better. It is what you do with the damned thing that counts and seperates the men from the boys.
Only boys need to yell to be heard.

Now that is my two cents worth
LIAR #100
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04 05 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why Roxy.... whatever do you mean? I was mearly engaging this salesman in some meaningful dialog! Very Happy Never ment no harm. Just asked a simple question and wanted a simple answer thats all. Smile I swear! Laughing

Zilla
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04 05 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get ya... you was making him show his first... Sorry, sometimes Im a little thick, in the head that is, you know the one I think with... the one on my shoulders.
LIAR #100
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04 05 9:16 pm    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

Sorry Zilla, my attempt to explain the operation was by explaining the way air flowed. I believed the rest would be self explanatory. To be honest, I will need to put a little thought into it in order to make it more simple. As far as putting my money where my mouth is, thought I did that. So, again from one salesman to an undercover salesman, bring it on down. I'll give you a show and tell, then I'll show you the test. Don't forget your checkbook!!!
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04 05 9:50 pm    Post subject: different temps Reply with quote

Sorry Roxy, in my haist, I almost missed your post. We have independent exhaust baffles, which allow you to maintain different temps across the rack if you want. I didn't mean to get such an issue started. RSZ asked what everyone thought and I simply gave my opinion. For a long time we built standard offset smokers. I don't even miss with them now. Like when the car makers quit using generators and started using alternators; they did it across the board cause it worked better for the same or less money. Any style smoker is better than no smoker at all. Lyfe Time smokers and Gator Pits, along with others like Lang all produce a quality product and would be great choices!!!
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04 05 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Travis, and while your brand may be superior to the traditional offset, any smoker is better than none! At the technical level you are a BBQ profesional I am not. I have only ten years on one style pit and a very simple one at that. I do not have deep understanding about how it all works but the "High School Teacher" In me wants to "call the bluff" as I do with my students and make them explain themselves and not just brag and give generalities. My point was, A guy has an opportunity to get a good deal a fine backyard pit, why would you want to make him feel like it was less than a great deal. This guy will probably get a lifetime of enjoyment from this pit. Truth be known, I have already looked at your smokers a few months ago and think they are very nice. While I did purchase a Gator any other makers pit would have worked for the argument here. Of all the handmade pits for sale around Texas I have seen only two that looked sub_standard. Most guys do a fine job on their pits. As the young folks say these days, Its all good.
And besides I really love a good knock down drag out debate Wink Have a good day
OkieJay
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04 05 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: different temps Reply with quote

Travis_Creek wrote:
Sorry Roxy, in my haist, I almost missed your post. We have independent exhaust baffles, which allow you to maintain different temps across the rack if you want. I didn't mean to get such an issue started. RSZ asked what everyone thought and I simply gave my opinion. For a long time we built standard offset smokers. I don't even miss with them now. Like when the car makers quit using generators and started using alternators; they did it across the board cause it worked better for the same or less money. Any style smoker is better than no smoker at all. Lyfe Time smokers and Gator Pits, along with others like Lang all produce a quality product and would be great choices!!!

Travis,
I have looked at the Diamond Products webpage and I was unable to find a single picture of the inside and bottom of the cooking chamber. I can see from the outside photos that you have the firebox "plumbed" to the smoke chamber. I can see where this would make some differance in heat control, but how about a pic of the inside of one. I would like to see how the smoke "pipes" distribute the heat and smoke.

Just to keep things on the up and up, I am not in the market for a smoker. I am building one this winter and want to learn everything I can, about every design I see.
Thanks,
Jay
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05 05 12:53 am    Post subject: smoking Reply with quote

True, but not informing someone can drive them away also. If someone has high expectations of turning out perfect 'Q' with very little work and he buys a smoker that is hard to control temps, he may get frustrated and the smoker will end up in the back yard with weeds growing around it. On the other hand, if he buys a piece of equipment that is very easy to use, he may become a 'Q' nut like the rest of us! Don't get me wrong, no matter what type of smoker you use, making quality 'Q' is a LOT of work. It is something a person must really enjoy. But as with anything, it always helps to start with the best tools you can get.
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05 05 12:53 am    Post subject: smoking Reply with quote

True, but not informing someone can drive them away also. If someone has high expectations of turning out perfect 'Q' with very little work and he buys a smoker that is hard to control temps, he may get frustrated and the smoker will end up in the back yard with weeds growing around it. On the other hand, if he buys a piece of equipment that is very easy to use, he may become a 'Q' nut like the rest of us! Don't get me wrong, no matter what type of smoker you use, making quality 'Q' is a LOT of work. It is something a person must really enjoy. But as with anything, it always helps to start with the best tools you can get.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05 05 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis:

What you say is true for some one who does not know how to cook, but for those of us who do know the use of a smoker is just another method of cooking. I think that if you are a great cook to begin with learning to Q is a short curve. I have the forknowledge of what tastes good together as far as ingredients already by way of spice blends, rubs and sauces so for me it was just a matter of learning how to smoke rather than the whole process.

I agree with you that it is best to make a smoker that is easy to use and control since you have to sell to the lowest common denominator. Not all people are complete rookies as this is what I am learning from talking to all of you at the forum.

What a wealth of information and knowledge we share, it is priceless.
LIAR #100
mossrocker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07 09 9:55 am    Post subject: Lyfe Tyme Smoker Reply with quote

RSZ,

Here's an answer from a guy who has used a Lyfe Tyme smoker for 19+ yrs. the same one and it still has some life in it. Mine is the 16" single door with an upright smoker and when I use it and my wife says I (it) makes the best smoked meat she's ever tasted.

There may be better smokers out there but since you're asking about the Lyfe Time smoker, it performs well and if you're able to buy it at a good price even better.

Some of the comments about different heat zones is true, just pay a little attention to it and you'll be smoking the right meat at the right spot. Use a temp gauge, my upright smoker runs a 100 degrees cooler than the grill section. In my upright portion I have a rod for suspending sausage and if you buy sausage that is still tied of with a string and hang it by that string, your sausage will be unbeatable. I cook the sausage 2 to 2 1/2 hrs.

Also, after about 2 hrs I triple wrap my ribs, brisket, chuck roasts and pork butt with a heavy duty aluminum foil, I buy the big commercial box at Sam's club. After wrapping I cook another 3 to 6 hrs depending on meat and size.

Good luck, you're getting a very good unit.

mossrocker in TX
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: