FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the greatest steak?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gourmet-Gator
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02 07 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, as I stated before Ribeyes IMO are the best but better than those are ANY FREE steaks!!! Wink
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04 07 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1-3/4 to 2" ribeye room temp. with kosher salt & lots of cracked pepper-smoking hot cast iron skilllet - in, over & out.. little butter & chopped shallots in the pan -couple oz. red wine to deglaze. time for chow...
gotwood
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31 07 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.5" - 1.75" thick Choice or Prime Rib-eyes

Warm on Counter...
Immediately before throwing them on the hottest fire you can get going on your grill sprinkle with Lawry's Seasoning Salt and Fresh Coarse Ground Pepper

Rare/Med. Rare
Warpig

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26 08 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NY Strip, Ribeye, Porterhouse. No particular order

1) Bring to room temp.
2) Drizzle garlic infused EVOO - found that minced or chopped garlic burns and becomes bitter at the grilling temps required for good steak. Go easy with EVOO, extra oil has a tendancy to flame or flare up. I use a mortor and pestal to grind about 4 cloves per 1/2 cup of oil. Combine and store in an air tight container or bottle. Huge difference after 1 week.
3) Fresh Course ground salt and pepper. All you pepper lovers out there, throw away any old pepper/pepper corns. Old pepper becomes rancid and is known to cause prostate cancer. It's just not worth it.
4) Gas grill - Hottest you can get the grill. Add hickory chips if desired. Sear on both sides for 1-2 minutes depending on temp and thickness of meat.
5) Remove from direct heat and continue to cook additional 3-6 minutes per side until medium rare.
6) Plate each steak seperatly and add a tablespoon of your favorite heb butter.
7) Loosely tent with foil for a mimium of 10 minutes. This allows meat to relax and juices to redistribute throughout the steak. Also produces a nice pool of flavorfull juices on the plate to dip each bite into.
Cool Enjoy with roasted roasmary and garlic potatoes and grilled aspargus.....oh yeh, can't forget the ice cold beer!
rjm38

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27 08 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rib-eye, rare, salt & cracked pepper.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27 08 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last steak is the greatest for me.. that is until the next steak which will takes its place.

Dry aged Prime rib steaks, bone in..
2 inch strip loins

are my favorite.

They got to be cooked over coals with a bit of wood for some smoke action.

As for seasoning. Salt and cracked pepper is good. Montreal steak spice is good as well. Cajan seasoning is good.

I also like to oil a steak before grilling as I think it helps with the crust but I dont use EVOO. I like grape seed oil myself.
LIAR #100
lkt1954

PostPosted: Fri May 16 08 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting... so many like them meduim rare, thats the way to go.

For me a bonless ribeye 1 1/4" thick. Lemon pepper, light garlic salt and lots of pepper. Let sit over night wrapped in the fridge and then cook over a good hot fire to sear them and finish to meduim rare and let's eat. [b]FYI if you get out any steak sauce-- the dog will get your steak!!!!!!!![/b]
I enjoy all the good reading here.

Larry
Stridemiester

PostPosted: Fri May 16 08 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.... I agree with Roxy, the one on my plate will do just fine.
polock
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat May 24 08 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like either a good ribeye or a porterhouse sliced minium 1 3/4" thick.. i like a 2" thick ribeye
weber genesis E-320
Weber Performer
Smokey joe
2 UDS's (love em)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
KenP
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09 08 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

polock wrote:
i like either a good ribeye or a porterhouse sliced minium 1 3/4" thick.. i like a 2" thick ribeye
Favorite cut here, too.

Sometimes I'll use SPG only, last night I used Zesty Italian with it for me and the wife wanted sugar rubbed in hers. Other times we like A-1 Chicago Steakhouse.

I get the grill smokin' hot and sear both sides, then because of the thickness, pull them off the direct heat for the most part and cook them to finish slower. I don't want to end up with a thick, hard to cut char on the bottom.
HillbillySmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15 08 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribeye all the way, marinated 30 minutes with lawrys mesquite, i cook mine with lemon pepper and a little butter on the grill, usually with kingsford charcoal and some mesquite chips. cooked medium.
cruzado_xxi
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16 08 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TE BEST STEAK IS THE JUCIEST/BLOODIEST....YOM YOM

(Dont worry, is in english also)
smokeology

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08 09 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old post but, I just wanted to thank all of you for costing me
a part of my paycheck this week. Wink I read this last night and dreamed about a big "fatt daddy" slab of steak and wouldn't you know, I just so happened to visit my butcher friend today. Laughing Very Happy
UDS
tacklebox
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08 09 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.75" to 2" porterhouse, room temp, e.v.o.o., fresh cracked four peppercorn mix, sea salt. Sear each side over HIGH heat (charcoal) for a couple minutes, move to cooler side of grill, roast until medium rare. Enjoy with an ice cold Negra Modello Wink
Twisted Evil Pompous Ass Bigoted LIAR #69 Twisted Evil
T00lman
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08 09 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a nice marbled porterhouse or rib eye cooked over some oak forgot season kosher salt fresh ground pepper some fresh michigan sweet corn best in the country yummm and some horseradish fresh ground

and a nice dark ice cold beer your choice
#37 liar
1 wsm 18 1/2
1wsm 22 1/2
mrodgers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08 09 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best steaks?

Buttercup
Bear
Butterfly

Those are just a few of the names of my steaks (and ground beef, roasts, beef ribs, etc.) They all live at my father-in-law's place and my daughters name them when they are first born.

My daughters watch them being born, they name them, they pet them.....then they eat them Very Happy

I actually thought the girls would be grossed out about it, but the first hamburgers we made, my oldest, 5 at the time, asked, "Is this Buttercup? I just LOVE Buttercup...." and took a big bite Very Happy

Gourmet-Gator wrote:
Hey, as I stated before Ribeyes IMO are the best but better than those are ANY FREE steaks!!! Wink

Have to stop on this though. As stated above, I get beef from my wife's family. It's split between 4 of us families (my family and Wifey's brother's and sister's families as well as her parents) and last time we had 95 lb of hamburger and around 50 lb. of ribeye, t-bone, porterhouse, round, and roasts.

Here's the problem with "better than those are ANY FREE steaks!!!" My father-in-law is of the thoughts of "make it last." Thus, the steaks are way thin, so thin that they are overcooked when I set the plate down next to the grill in preparation of tossing them on. Half-inch or thinner just doesn't cut it for on the grill. My wife makes steak and noodles with alfredo cheese sauce and always did that with cheap round steak. Now with the too-thin-to-grill steaks, we end up with exceptionally good steak and noodles using all the better cuts like the ribeyes and just go down to the meat shop for good and thick steaks for on the grill.

So, I have to retract the first part of the post. That was just a little story about my daughters naming their food well before it becomes food.

The best steak? Definitely Ribeye with nothing more than salt and pepper grilled about medium. I tried the brushing with ugly olive oil before grilling and it ruined the steak. I went back to simple salt and pepper and oiling the grate instead of the meat.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08 09 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john ziske wrote:
a nice marbled porterhouse or rib eye cooked over some oak forgot season kosher salt fresh ground pepper some fresh michigan sweet corn best in the country yummm and some horseradish fresh ground

You might think Michigan grows some corn and I am sure they do but there is none finer than what we grow up here in Ontario.. the best bar none.. American corn.. come on.. You all cant even make beer let alone grow good sweet corn.. Wink Very Happy Laughing
LIAR #100
Big Bears BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09 09 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without question its the Rib Eye.................
T00lman
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09 09 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="roxy"]
john ziske wrote:

You might think Michigan grows some corn and I am sure they do but there is none finer than what we grow up here in Ontario.. the best bar none.. American corn.. come on.. You all cant even make beer let alone grow good sweet corn.. Wink Very Happy Laughing[/quot

OK TOUGHGUY ya got me on the beer BUT if you read the post it says best in the country you ain,t in the country and how the hell can you grow corn were it snows 10 1/2 months a year . Shocked Laughing
#37 liar
1 wsm 18 1/2
1wsm 22 1/2
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10 09 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="john ziske"]
roxy wrote:
john ziske wrote:

You might think Michigan grows some corn and I am sure they do but there is none finer than what we grow up here in Ontario.. the best bar none.. American corn.. come on.. You all cant even make beer let alone grow good sweet corn.. Wink Very Happy Laughing[/quot

OK TOUGHGUY ya got me on the beer BUT if you read the post it says best in the country you ain,t in the country and how the hell can you grow corn were it snows 10 1/2 months a year . Shocked Laughing

We got that quick rising type of corn.. Just add water.
LIAR #100
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Grilling All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: