FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new to smoking....what to try?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mclifford

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19 09 10:23 pm    Post subject: new to smoking....what to try? Reply with quote

I just bought a smoker last weekend. I read some good articles on how to cure my smoker and I think I got that done this week. Now I am ready to try my first piece of meat in the cooker. The guys at work are telling me I should start with a pork shoulder. They said it takes a while to cook, gives me plenty of time to practice keeping the smoker at the correct temp that and they said I can't really screw it up. Does anyone have any other suggestions that I should try?
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19 09 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cook shoulders and butts and I give a slight edge to boston butts. Mainly because I have a hard time finding bone in shoulders...I prefer bone in so boston butts are readily availavble and cheap.

Here is a picture of both side by side on the right. The boneless shoulder is closest to you... if you look close you can see it has ties going around it and from end to end to help it hold its shape. The butt is in the back.

Here they are both pulled. The butt is the first pan, the shoulder is the second pan. Not a whole lot of difference....you can't go wrong with either one.

30" Masterbuilt Digital
UDS (Named Uddley by Mrs K.C.)
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!
mclifford

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20 09 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When choosing the meat, do I want it to have the bone in the meat? Does that aid in flavor? I have also been told that I need to trim some of the fat off, leaving a small amount to keep it moist, but not to trim off to much. also do you suggest I marinade or use a brine?
trapper
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20 09 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no pro but I think a pork butt is the most forgiving meat you can smoke. I would start with a bone in pork butt, thoroughly cover it in plain yellow mustard, then put as much rub as will stick to it, and smoke it at 225*-250* until the internal temp of the meat is around 160*. Then wrap it in foil and put it back on until the internal temp of the meat is around 195*-200*. Pull it off and let it rest for at least 30 minutes or you can put it in an empty cooler to keep it warm for a couple hours or more. I think most people wrap it in towels before putting it in the cooler. Take it out and pull it.
Search for Roxy's Mustard sauce and make up a batch for sauce. Enjoy!
tacklebox
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20 09 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butts are verrry forgiving, as well as (IMHO) beef chuck. Started with butts and chuck and moved up from there. But if you pay attention to the real pros on this board...nothing is impossible Wink
Twisted Evil Pompous Ass Bigoted LIAR #69 Twisted Evil
mclifford

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20 09 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trapper..Thanks that was great advice! I am going on my lunch break today to pick up a pork butt and a few things I am missing to make roxy's mustard sauce. I have something going on tomorrow night, but before I head out I am going to mix everything up and get it chilling in the fridge before I go out. When the baby gets up at 4:30am'ish....ugh...I will take the pork butt out of the fridge so it can get to room temp and I will start smoking when the baby is back up around 6:30ish. The things I do to occupy my time when you have a baby and can't sleep in anymore..haha. I will take some pictures of my progress and post them.
trapper
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20 09 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been awhile since I had to deal with babies but not so long that I can't remember. Way more pleasure than pain though.
As far as the advise, I just took the advise of the people here and it has worked well for me.
I am not sure about leaving the butt out for 2 hours before putting it on the smoker though. I have taken them straight from the fridge and put them on without a problem. I have also slathered and rubbed them the day before and wrapped in plastic wrap and put back in the fridge to save some time. When I pull them out the next day I sprinkle some more rub on and it seems to give more bark.
mclifford

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21 09 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in the computer field and I had a boss give me some good advice when I was an intern with his company. He said weither you continue to work here or someplace else the first thing you do is go find the old grey hair and talk his arm off because you will learn more from him then you will from a text book. So I took that advice and added in Google searches and internet forums and things in my career havn't been to bad.
I may be a boring person but I find it to be just as much fun finding information about how to do something as it is doing it. With that being said I would agree with you. From what I have read there are alot of people on this site that do know what they are talking about and I am thankful that people like you and the others on this site do share that information with newbies like me. But I do have to pick and choose what I do find because everyone has there way of doing things and I have to pick and choose the right combo that will work for me with out getting information overload.

About taking the meat out of the frige to warm up to room temp was a suggestion from a co worker. I can't remember why he told me that, but that was the way he did it. I do know that I am going to put the rub on the night before and wrap it up in plastic wrap so I can be ready to go.

I don't know why I have to save any time, its not like I am going anywhere on saturday, I have all day, but I guess the anticipation of firing up the smoker for the first time (with meat on it) is like a kid waiting for christmas day arrive! hahah.
trapper
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21 09 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope some of the food safety gurus chime in to tell you for sure but here is my take. The danger zone for food is 40*-140*. Colder than 40 or warmer than 140* is ok but food can only be allowed in that range for 4 hours maximum. If you pull it from the fridge at let is sit for 2 hours it will be going in the smoker at around 70* (room temp.) and it must get above 140* within 2 hours. It probably will but I don't know for sure and that is just the outside. If the meat has been punctured at all the bacteria on the surface would have been pushed into the meat the depth of the puncture where it will take much longer to reach 140*.
With a steak that you are grilling at 500* I see no problem letting it reach room temp. before cooking. You are going to be over 140* in just a couple of minutes. With a 225* smoker I am a little more cautious, but that is just me, I could be wrong.
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22 09 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mclifford I will add a couple of things....I would not let the butts sit for 2 hours before putting in the smoker. If you go 30 min or so just getting everything ready that is one thing.....you do not want pork at room temp. Also if you like bark on your pork with some texture you will loose some of that by foiling....if you do foil to speed the cook up, you might unfoil it close to your 195 internal temp and give it another hour to dry the bark back out a bit...I don't foil at all but a big number of people do with good results. Here is a picture of finished butt that was pulled in the pictures I posted above. I've gotta have my bark....I add a bit of turbinado sugar to almost all of my rubs if they aren't already heavy on sugar to create a nice crusty bark.

30" Masterbuilt Digital
UDS (Named Uddley by Mrs K.C.)
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!
mclifford

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25 09 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been busy at with work. I will post a reply with my results from this last weekend. I can tell you it all turned out really well!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: