FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

55 Gal. barrel smoker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
followingariver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10 06 6:03 am    Post subject: 55 Gal. barrel smoker Reply with quote

Got a 55 gal. drum from a friend and am building a smoker out of it. Used to hold corn syrup. Should i be concerned that the barrel says "lined" on the side? Does anyone know what it could be lined with?

Thanks for any feed back.
Rocky
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10 06 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, you will need to burn out the inside to remove the interior coating. The coating is made from some type of plastic or polymer sealant that is ok with food, but not high heat. It keeps the metal from direct contact with the food product. I used to get my drums from a juice company. Those drums had that same interior coating.

Best way to burn out the inside is to dump about 10 pounds of charcoal in the bottom and light. Then start adding firewood until you have about a dozen or so pieces burning inside the drum. Criss cross them in pairs to get good air flow.

If you burn out your drums on asphalt or grass, use some bricks or stepping stones under the drum.

This burnout process will also remove the factory pain on the outside of the drum, which is good. Afterwards, you can re-paint the outside of the drum with high heat paint.

It is alot of work, believe me...I know. I used to burn out 24 drums at a time.

Good luck.

http://www.bigdrumsmokers.com
followingariver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10 06 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rocky,

Should I cover the drum while cooking it out? or just let let it go uncovered? Glad you replied, I figure if anyone knows what to do with these things its you.

How will I know when it is safe to cook food in it? I guess it will be obvious when the coating is gone.

- Dave
Rocky
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10 06 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

No, don't cover the drum while you are burning it out. If the drum has a lid, you will also need to burn the coating from the inside of that as well. Best thing to use for that is one of those propane weed torches. The lid will warp some when you are burning off the coating, but you can bang it back into shape after it cools off.

As far as the drum, you need to build a big fire in there. Put wood in there all the way to the top of the drum when you start the fire. You want the flames coming out the top of the drum.

Here is a link to some pictures of burning out drums. Notice how the wood is stacked all the way out the top of each drum? Also, notice the odd color and patterns they get when they are totally burned out. They almost look like they have Camo markings on them.

Once you dump out the coals or ashes and they cool down, use a rag to wipe down the powder residue left on the inside and outside.

Burning Out Drums
http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=Rocky%27s+BBQ&AID=3387613

Git ur Done

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10 06 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I thought about that process Then I called Rocky had one sent out.
LOL You can make your own soap also.But
BBQ Team
Rocky
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10 06 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...lol

After about 100 of those old style drums, I started using brand new custom-made drums. I can't really say I miss them. But, it was quite a learning experience.

It is scary how many people build smokers from drums that used to contain toxic chemicals, pesticides, petroleum products etc. If I did not have access to plenty of food-grade drums, I would never have started building the BDS. Cool

BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16 06 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Followingariver. You can find stainless steel used food product drums on the internet or at local salvage yards. No problems with contaminants, paint, or rust- ever again! Very Happy Wink
followingariver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20 06 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BBQMan,

If I build another one I'll probably look into that. We have two drums my friend gave me and have already made one of them into a smoker, works great so far. Were building the other (gonna burn it out this weekend) and then we're going to enter some comps this summer here in New England. If these smokers hold up and we have a good time Im sure we'll be looking to do some more (or maybe buy some from Rocky). So far it is just an excuse to stand out in the backyard while our girlfriends sit inside.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20 06 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy your new smoker(s)! The advantage of having a horizontal pit is being able to cook up a pig roast if you ever want too! Very Happy

Enjoy your summer, I love New England about now! We have family in Maine and visit as often as we can! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: