FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who here is going to do Prime Rib for Easter?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hydra Sports
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07 06 6:12 pm    Post subject: Who here is going to do Prime Rib for Easter? Reply with quote

I am planning on having Prime rib. I am going to have (2) 6lb'ers for our family.

I will be trying a little different from what I tried last time but with the same principle of taking it off the heat at 125 degrees.

If any of you all are going to do Prime Rib how are you going to prep it?

Me I think I will do a rub of garlic, salt, pepper, oregano & rosemary. Last time I did a yellow musterd slather before adding the rub but this time I think I will try an olive oil rub down before adding the rub to the meat.

So, what are your plans?
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07 06 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on doing a 3 bone roast I got on the freezer.

Your recipe sounds good all but the rosemary.. I find when that herb is used that is all I taste, seems to overpower everything else.

I wont be using any oil this time as the meat has enough fat. I was thinking of using mustard... Laughing
LIAR #100
auto

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07 06 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always do mesquite grilled rack of lamb. Basically a nice herb infused crust of Thyme, Rosemary, and Garlic, prepped by dijon. Served with some nice side TBD and a bottle of Pride or Paloma Merlot, whatever the cellar offers up Cool
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07 06 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roxy wrote:
I plan on doing a 3 bone roast I got on the freezer.

Your recipe sounds good all but the rosemary.. I find when that herb is used that is all I taste, seems to overpower everything else.

I wont be using any oil this time as the meat has enough fat. I was thinking of using mustard... Laughing

Me too about the Rosemary. That stuff just aint right. My wife started growing Rosemary and cooking EVERYTHING with it untill I talked her our of it.

Oh, We are going to have Baby Back Ribs and Shrimp that come out of the Gulf of Mexico that day for $3.79 a pound.
Hydra Sports
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07 06 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you guys go about making an AuJuse (SP?)? I have not the slightest way to go about making a good aujuse with the juices left in the pan???

Any help would be great!
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07 06 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow........I actually hadn't thought about Easter yet................phew........at least I have a week to make a decision.......
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08 06 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydra Sports...

Yeah...Roxy is the Guy that can give 'ya what 'Ya need in the way of Sauce and Gravy...Give him a Holler. Wink

Good Luck and Best Regards,
Tony
a4angiel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08 06 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the what I did for Christmas dinner: Standing Rib Roast - Montreal Steak Rub and it was wonderful. The family is asking for a repeat for Easter.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08 06 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydra Sports wrote:
How do you guys go about making an AuJuse (SP?)? I have not the slightest way to go about making a good aujuse with the juices left in the pan???

Any help would be great!

Well, I would say there are many ways to end up with a jus for prime rib. The first thing is in order to get a decent amount of meat juice from the roast you will have to cook it past medium or the juices will remain in the roast and not end up in the pan and what you will end up with is nothing but fat. Prime rib has a high content of fat and you will end up as well with a lot of fat in the pan. I would suggest that you add some pieces of onion, 4 or 5 whole peeled garlic cloves at the start of cooking. Once you begin to get some fat and juices in the pan you want some colour and browning before you add a cup of white wine to help things along. At this time also add 4 or 5 whole pepper corns, a stalk of fresh thyme and a bay leaf. I would also suggest you baste the meat once or twice with this mixture as well so it will pick up some of the rub you are using. You will want to remove the fat from the jus and strain before using. Dont forget to get all the brown bits from the sides of the pan, using a spoon as there is a lot of flavour and colour here.

To thicken this jus a bit I would suggest you use 1 tbsp of butter and 1/2 tbsp of flour and blend them together. Allow this butter mixture to melt over medium heat and "cook" for a few minutes until the flour begins get a bit of a tan. At this point add 1/4 cup of the jus at a time and wisk. If after the jus has been added and you feel the jus is still too thick you can add some more wine. Now if it was me making this sauce I would not add wine but I would add a tbsp or two of heavy cream and wisk till smooth... This sauce will be thin and not thick like a regular gravy remember it will thicken a bit more as it cools so make it a little thinner than you want.

Salt to taste and enjoy.

Good luck
LIAR #100
Hydra Sports
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08 06 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Roxy.
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08 06 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxy...

Good Morning !

Good of 'Ya to come through for Hydra Sports! Very Happy

(Didn't I tell 'Ya Roxy was the One that has the Gravy and Sauce answers?) Wink

Bon Apetite'!

Best Regards, Tony
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08 06 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David Very Happy !

Hey...As We Speak...er...type(?) The Wife is thumbin' through the papers and sees that the local Supermarket has Prime Rib Roast on sale this week.
I told her that Roxy prepared this Roast a month or so ago and that I would ask if You would post Your recipe,pics etc. again.

As a matter of fact, would You be good enough to post
"Roxy's Prime Rib Easter Dinner Menu" for All us out here?

We are Going to be at our house at the Delaware Shore and would LOVE to smoke up the Prime Rib on my El Cheapo super modified smoker I keep down there.

So how about it ,Rox? Wink

All the Best, My Freind! Tony

p.s. Don't forget the Au Jus !
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08 06 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydra Sports wrote:
Thanks Roxy.

Your welcome

Tony:

Dont know if Im up to doing an entire post for Easter as I have only "smoked" prime once and it turned out real good. I dont think that makes me qualified, in my opinion, to say how ya should do it. My family will be my test subjects for my second run at this most excellent fare. I'm still thinking about how to kick it up a few notches. Maybe some pieces of garlic inserted into the roast. Not too sure at this moment.

I am sure there are others out there who are more experienced with Prime rib that could give us a tutorial.

My pictorials are more to show that my little smoker can turn out some exceptable BBQ but mostly to show that I didnt mess things up again. Wink

I'll tell ya when I am taking pix of my efforts and posting them for the world to see I do tend to try and make sure of what I am doing. The last thing I need to hear from y'all is "Looks like your dog ate good that night".. Shocked

Heres a link to my prime rib post

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2536&highlight=prime+rib
LIAR #100
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08 06 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxy,
'Yer a Good Man and I Respect Your Straightforwardness!

We'll get through it okay ,with Your help!

And, Hey...Don't cut Yourself short ,Buddy!

As a result of Your post and pictorials, I'd be willin' to bet I ain't the only one eatin' Prime Rib for Easter Dinner! Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks Again , Bud!

Best Regards, Tony
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10 06 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prime rib sounds real good for Easter about now. Seen WAY to much piggy lately! Shocked

Two more pigs for a party on Saturday night, might throw in some prime for Sunday when I get home! Very Happy

I normally smoke mine a little hotter (275) and pull off when the temp hits rare. I like mine alittle more done, and the grill finishes the job nicely! Wink
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10 06 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking that Prime Rib might be on the menu here too..........$4.99 a pound isn't that bad.
Hydra Sports
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10 06 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy $4.99 a pound is a good deal!

LOVE FISHIN & Q'in!!!

mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10 06 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydra Sports wrote:
Boy $4.99 a pound is a good deal!

dude....that is what I was thinking too..............kind of can't pass it up at that price.............have to admit though..........not sure it will be smoked..........the mrs might make me do it in the ....gasp.....oven
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11 06 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxy:
Well... I TOLD You So! Very Happy Wink

Thanks From All Of Us,Rox!!!

Best Regards and enjoy Your Week!

p.s. I still got the Char-Griller Fire Box and "retro" sittin' here...Jus' gimmee' a holler.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11 06 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I surely will do Tony, just on the short strokes with a few datails. Hope to have it in the next week or so.

Thanks again Tony,
LIAR #100
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: