FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ABT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PitBully
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31 09 11:59 am    Post subject: ABT Reply with quote

What kind of meat do you use in your ABT's? Just regular sausage?
stillsmokin
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31 09 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pitbully......i love the cheddar little smokies. but sometimes i use hot links. I dont think that you can make a bad abt......well maybe a USC fan could.....but not a horns fan!!!! good luck this season....should be a good one!!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31 09 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PitBully, most of the time it is the little smokies that have the cheese in them, sometimes left over pulled pork. I think just about any meat in one would be great.

Hybrid Cooker
whitey
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31 09 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepperoni,ham,chicken,brisket..Like the other guys have mentioned,any meat is good..You cant mess them up unless You are a USC fan Shocked

Go Cougars.Go Husky's,Go USC Rolling Eyes

Lets Go make some ABTs,Have fun..

Whitey
Chicken Throwdown Champ..2010..
Almost the Biggest Liar on the "Ring"
PitBully
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31 09 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fellas, looks like any meat will do.

USC should do good this year. Hopefully we have no fluke losses....And it will help if the media layed off on the SEC bias too Wink
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31 09 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything shaped like a hot dog will probably be the most familiar for a USC fan. SEC fans prefer tacos.

PS, Any media bias would be easily overcome if you could just win out in that weak conference you're in. I find that USC tends to be the greatest benefactor of media bias (with the possible rival of Ohio State).
PitBully
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31 09 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poppa's PTL Club wrote:
Anything shaped like a hot dog will probably be the most familiar for a USC fan. SEC fans prefer tacos.

PS, Any media bias would be easily overcome if you could just win out in that weak conference you're in. I find that USC tends to be the greatest benefactor of media bias (with the possible rival of Ohio State).

It would be much easier to schedule OOC cupcake (DIV IIA) teams like most of the SEC does Wink
hldhm
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31 09 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just did a bunch with shrimp in them for a friend's party where he was grilling shrimp as the main course. They were great, any meat works, I've used smoked chicken, pork, beef, lil smokies, venison sausage, and turkey. It's all god.
JimmieOhio
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01 09 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use bulk chorizo sausage. It takes about 1/2 pound for 30 ABT's, if I remember from last time.

I shape each piece to fit in the pepper. The only issue is that it makes the cream cheese filling a little greasy, so I will probably pre-cook the sausage pieces before assembly next time I make them.

"Never criticize a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. Then, criticize him all you want since you're a mile away and you have HIS shoes."
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01 09 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make sure I keep the thread hijacking going! Very Happy

PitBully wrote:
It would be much easier to schedule OOC cupcake (DIV IIA) teams like most of the SEC does

Let's see what the 2008 preseason BCS strength of schedule looked like:

1. Georgia 1018
2. Vanderbilt 1004
5. Arkansas 975
7. Alabama 967
10. South Carolina 945
12. Tennessee 939
14. Mississippi 937
15. Florida 934
17. Auburn 926
29. Southern California 893

So, we had to get rid of half of the SEC lineup before we get to the USC with the weaker schedule? (the Gamecocks had a tougher row to hoe than you guys)

Southern Cal benefits from a weak schedule and you know it. The SEC has to schedule at least some weak spots in the lineup to get a breather from a breakneck schedule of tougher SEC opponents as opposed to the lightweight PAC 10 (also, many teams won't schedule stronger SEC opponents, so what are you going to do to fill in the schedule?).

I give USC credit for trying to schedule some better out of conference opponents, but you only have to do that b/c the PAC 10 should be dropped from the BCS if they can't get a better lineup than they currently have. Razz
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01 09 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PitBully wrote:
It would be much easier to schedule OOC cupcake (DIV IIA) teams like most of the SEC does

As a thought exercise, remove the PAC 10 from the BCS and let USC schedule one or two of the cupcake teams and see if you can't see USC on the outside looking in and arguing for a playoff like Utah.
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02 09 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use little smokies most of the time to keep with the abt tradition Very Happy ,but I have used different seasoned sausage meat or strips of chicken as well.
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
ramcr913

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02 09 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to mix crumbled bacon with a 50/50 mix of seafood salad and cream cheese. I also grind up some dried pequin chiles and spike every 6th ABT.
mwillis
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02 09 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made ABT's with...(gasp!)... no meat at all, axcept the bacon on the outside. Believe it or not they're just as good that way. I like a littel smoked gouda in with the cream cheese.
Most people not in the PAC10 aggree, the PAC10 is the weakest conference, across the board, included in the BCS. That said, USC is still a pretty formidable opponent. Problem is, without being tested 8-9 weeks out of the year, It's pretty easy to make a good showing in a single game. Fewer injuries, etc.
Roll Tide!
Willis Out!
UDS-XT
XT Cart
ortugger

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02 09 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best abt ever made was salmon. about 3 parts smoked salmon one part cream cheese. I used a prepackaged salmon rub when I smoked the salmon and used the rub to season the mixed cream cheese and salmon. I may have the ratios off a bit.....but I recall having lots of salmon I had smoked left over and had and extra cube of cream cheese. I made a "heavy salmon dip" or salmon salad that tasted good and used it for the filling for an abt. If you want more info I will check my notes next time i'm home.
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02 09 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a Clear day, You See L.A.......
And don't you go where the huskys go; and do you eat that yellow snow.
Go Sioux!
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
ortugger

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02 09 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly me.........I figured the discussion of sports teams would have fallen under the religion and politics ban on this sight.....seeing as the naked pagan drive for dominance and superiority in society is personified by the embracing of sports idols, and the most base expression of political/religious power in an impotent psyche would be to advance an athletic surrogate, then this must be a tell. Obviously the exaltation of athletic surrogates is the necessary compensation for bad BBQ... Perhaps some here need to get in touch with their "meat boiling" side.
SmoknCamo
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02 09 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made ABTs a couple times and never added any meat. They still turn out great!
Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal X2
JimmieOhio
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02 09 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ortugger wrote:
Silly me.........I figured the discussion of sports teams would have fallen under the religion and politics ban on this sight.....seeing as the naked pagan drive for dominance and superiority in society is personified by the embracing of sports idols, and the most base expression of political/religious power in an impotent psyche would be to advance an athletic surrogate, then this must be a tell. Obviously the exaltation of athletic surrogates is the necessary compensation for bad BBQ... Perhaps some here need to get in touch with their "meat boiling" side.

So what you are trying to say here is that you use Lil' Smokies in your ABT's like the rest of us? Laughing

"Never criticize a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. Then, criticize him all you want since you're a mile away and you have HIS shoes."
ortugger

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02 09 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmieOhio wrote:
ortugger wrote:

So what you are trying to say here is that you use Lil' Smokies in your ABT's like the rest of us? Laughing

Lil Smokies, chunks of kielbasa or lingucia, but the best I ever made were smoked salmon. Size doesn't matter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: