FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pulled Pork BBQ Sammiches
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15 06 8:06 am    Post subject: Pulled Pork BBQ Sammiches Reply with quote

I had an idea of creating a flavored vinegar by pickling a bunch of fresh ingredients commonly used in BBQ for brines, injects, rubs, slathers and sauces, and then using the juice from that concoction as the vinegar in all of the preperations used to make a product. Since Carolina BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches use a lot of vinegar in their preparation, I decided to test this out with this particular dish.

Flavored Vinegar
1 3/4 cups Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
2 tbsp Kosher Salt
2 tbsp Dark Brown Sugar
2 heaping tbsp whole Black Peppercorns
1 Red Onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp Crushed Red Pepper
1/2 tsp whole Cumin Seed
1/2 tsp Marjoram flakes
1/2 tsp Thyme flakes
1/4 tsp Celery Seed

Put all ingredients into a jar and give a good shake. Put in fridge to mellow for 5 to 7 days. When ready to prep the meat the night before cooking, strain the solids from the liquids reserving the liquid, and setting the solids aside for the paste (see below).

Injection Solution
1 1/4 Cups Apple Juice
1/2 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Kosher Salt
2 1/4 Tbsp Flavored Vinegar (see above)
1 3/4 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce

Mix all ingredients together.

I found that the Injection didn't have as much taste as the regular inject solution because there was only a couple tablespoons of the flavored vinegar in there, whereas my other inject recipe has onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, and cayenne in it. I went on ahead and added some Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Black Pepper and Cayenne to get the inject up to flavor. I'llpost the exact recipe tomorrow. In the end, this inject tasted similar to my regular inject, but it had a little something extra that made it better. I'm not sure if in the end it will taste much different, but it's a good start. Like I said, similar, but better.

Paste (or Wet Rub)
Take the solids removed from the flavored vinegar (see above) and blend into a smooth paste.

When I made this, I was not able to get the peppercorns to grind up in my food processor. I guess my food processor S-U-C-K-S !!! All it did was swirl all them little peppercorns around! Because it was loaded with whole peppercorns, I didn't want to try rubbing it all over the meat. I abandoned the Wet Rub idea, much to my dismay. I may try this again some other time.

Meat Prep
I got a twin pack of butts from Sams Club, total weight of the package was 17 pounds. One was a bit bigger so I decided I would use it as the experimental subject because... well... I DON'T KNOW WHY, THAT'S JUST WHAT I DID!!![Very Happy] I rinsed each butt and blotted them dry. I trimmed the fat caps off of the butts this time which is not something I usually do. I then injected each of them with solution. The experimental one got the inject listed above. The other one got my regular inject which is identical to the one above, except I use 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar instead and use 2 tbsp of worcestershire. I then gave a good coating of rub all over, then wrapped them up and put them in the fridge to sit overnight. While they were sitting in the fridge I made the BBQ Sauce and Coleslaw below:

Western North Carolina Style BBQ Sauce
1 Cup Flavored Vinegar (see above)
1/2 Cup Ketchup
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar

Stir all ingredients together. Store in refrigerator overnight.

I was really torn about whether to use a vinegar-only coleslaw, or one with some mayo. I decided to go for something in the middle. I also thought about making mayo with the flavored vinegar, but decided I was probably doing too much already, and I didn't want to mess with raw eggs in the middle of all this other stuff.

Creamy & Tangy Coleslaw
1 package Coleslaw Mix (I'm cheating)
1 Cup Mayonnaise
1/3 Cup White Sugar
1/2 Cup Flavored Vinegar (see above)
1/4 tsp Paprika (unless your slaw mix has red bell peppers in it)
1/4 tsp Celery Seed (unless your slaw mix has celery in it)
salt and pepper to taste

Mix together mayo, sugar and flavored vinegar until smooth. Pour over coleslaw mix, add seasonings and toss until thoroughly coated. Let refrigerate overnight.

Cooking
I cooked the meat in my offset smoker and used a mix of Oak, Cherry, Hickory, Apple and Pecan for the smoke and lump charcoal for fuel. I cooked the butt between 225-250 until the internal temp hit 200, about 14 hours later. When the meat hit 200 internal, I wrapped it in foil and let it rest in the kitchen for 30 minutes. I then removed the shoulder blade bone and tore the meat into shreds.

Sandwich Time
I tossed the meat with some BBQ sauce and put on a plain white hamburger bun. I then topped the meat with some of the coleslaw. It was absolutely fantastic. It has a noticably different flavor than the ones made using plain apple cider vinegar in all of the recipes. I liked the sandwich made with the falvored vinegar better. It was not much extra work at all and was well worth it.

Here is a picture slideshow of the preparation of the meat and sandwich.
http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/share.do?invite=WEQr4dPf7hkxPzcY70CL&shareName=MMS2&sharePage=slideShow

Last edited by bigabyte on Mon Apr 24 06 12:37 am; edited 5 times in total
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15 06 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man you should make an identical batch and bring it to a simmer, let it cool and rest it next to the other. After a few days taste which is better. Might be a good comparison.

GIANT BBQ
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15 06 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about that, but had my reasons for not doing so. Were you mostly suggesting that for the Onion and Garlic flavor? Or for sanitation? I checked and supposedly onion and garlic should be OK raw pickled in just vinegar, salt is in there for good measure and to keep the other seasonings from freaking out. Like I said, it's an experiment. Could prove to be a massive failure. Won't know until I try though. Not sure why I decided to post it semi-live on the forum, guess I thought it would be fun. Laughing
wnkt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15 06 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the reason for this experiment a secret?
What are you trying to prove?....or dis-prove?
Or is it a "lets see what happens when..." kinda thing?
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15 06 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thinking Chris, onion, garlic, and potatoes are considered non-hazardous foods until you cook them. If you use oil, they will only last about 4 days (without preservatives) before the onset of botchulism could occur.
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15 06 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No secrets here. It's a let's see how it turns out kinda thing. Just trying something different. This will later be used in a couple different preparations while making the butt.
wnkt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15 06 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoooDoggy......what happened to your little Mad Scientist avatar? I kinda liked him Smile
I would look at the pictures and didnt really pay attention to the names
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15 06 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When its done, give it s spin in the blender. I'm thinking you might end up with something like a steak sauce..??

Your list of ingredients all go well with each other.
LIAR #100
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15 06 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoooDoggy wrote:
I thought about that, but had my reasons for not doing so. Were you mostly suggesting that for the Onion and Garlic flavor? Or for sanitation? I checked and supposedly onion and garlic should be OK raw pickled in just vinegar, salt is in there for good measure and to keep the other seasonings from freaking out. Like I said, it's an experiment. Could prove to be a massive failure. Won't know until I try though. Not sure why I decided to post it semi-live on the forum, guess I thought it would be fun. Laughing

No I wasn't thinking of sanitation what with the vinager and all, but rather the melting of the salt and sugar and melding of the flavor. I thought it might produce a slightly different flavor than the uncooked batch to compare. Seems like fun.

GIANT BBQ
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15 06 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pickles fall into that same catagory but do just fine once they have been cooked soaking in that vinegar and salt.

Aint got sick for any BBQ sauces either, acid and salt make it a different equasion than cooked untreated food. Just think of pickled sausages..

Oh yeah!!
LIAR #100
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20 06 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added preview of this weekends' experiment above.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20 06 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a true experiment you need to taste test your creation against something else like pulled pork with standard BBQ sauce and a south carolina mustard sauce to have something as reference to judge your vinegar sauce against.

That way you get to eat three sammies in the name of science.
LIAR #100
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20 06 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Laughing I hadn't thought about TWO additional products, but I was planning to do a side-by-side comparison with another butt prepped my usual way, with the usual slaw and my normal western NC style sauce. I think I like your 3 sammich method better, but I'm only planning on two butts.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20 06 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, two different butt styles, three different sauce recipes. Thats like 6 sammies by my count. Sounds like a feast to me dude.

Maybe get smaller buns like dinner rolls...

All in the name of science.
LIAR #100
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20 06 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxy your a genius! That's the best excuse I ever heard to tell my wife about my midnight sammich eating expeditions!

"Honey, it's part of a research study I'm involved with!" It's perfect!! Laughing I could even say it's top secret! Yea Area 54 type stuff! All in the name of science! I like it. Smile

Hey Alien, did you ever have any success with that excuse? Wink

GIANT BBQ
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20 06 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,if we have two different kinds of buns, then that makes it 12 sammiches! Shocked I better get a bigger belt! Confused
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20 06 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you could even make two different slaws. Maybe one with mayo and one with vinegar dressing. That would make 24 sammies..!!

Zilla, if you keep up with that late night BBQ experiments you will be needing a area 54 inch belt. Laughing I aint too far off myself. Wink
LIAR #100
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20 06 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Confused

GIANT BBQ
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22 06 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added some updates about what I did this evening prepping the meat.
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22 06 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chris, a cheap $12.00 coffee grinder will make short work of grinding the pepper corns, and any other spive you might want to grind up. It will not work for Bay Leaf nor Sage. I keep one just for coffee and one just for spices. Sounds like your having a blast.

GIANT BBQ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: