FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I love my Girl Friend!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SauceBoss
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25 09 7:21 am    Post subject: I love my Girl Friend!! Reply with quote

Hey Guys (and gals),

Its been a while since Ive been around due to work and travel but I have finally settled down in South Florida and have had the time to chill out.

Regardless, My gf loves the fact that I like to cook and what not and she always keeps me company when I am out side grilling.

She always watches the food network and sees those people trying to win the right to have their own show and she mentioned that it was a shame that more females dont grill/smoke and she wanted to have a show of that. Imagine that, a female Bobby Flay...ha!

Anyways, since that will probably never happen (her having her own show) I said to her, why not have your own site, where you grill and share your stories with the world. That is how her site was born! Its new but itll be going soon, shes cooking ribs tonight!!

Check it out: http://www.girlvsgrill.com
BluzQue
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25 09 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sauceboss.........Awesome Girlfriend!......Luckiest Man In The World.....A Beautiful Lady........That Enjoys BBQ! Life Is Good!

Very Happy Cool Very Happy

GOOD MUSIC GOOD FOOD GOOD BEER GREAT FRIENDS

OLE BOY OFFSET SMOKER
WEBER PERFORMER GRILL
WHISKEY BARREL SMOKER
SauceBoss
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25 09 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot BluezQue...shell be uploading her first attempt at ribs later today lol.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25 09 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SauceBoss, congrats to you for having a girlfriend that shares your passion for cooking. Very Happy And congrats to her and her new web sight. Very Happy Mrs.K.A.M. loves to cook on our cookers, she has mastered my WSM and Kettle as well as the gas grill. I built her her own UDS that she enjoys cooking on as well. I look forward to seeing some pics of those ribs. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
JimmieOhio
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26 09 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SauceBoss,

Your girlfriend has a nice website. However, she makes a statement that really goes against food safety. I, myself, thought it was okay, but I have recently found out it is not.

The statement is about the acceptability of re-using marinade as long as you boil it first.

My GF and I were watching "The Next Food Network Star" and one of the contestants stated the same thing during a food presentation. Tyler Florence objected forcefully. My GF, who is a clinical microbiologist, agreed. She told me that many bacteria, such as E Coli, are not necessarily killed off by boiling. I missed most of the technical jargon she said, but it's not worth the risk. Marinade is cheap.

Otherwise, tell her good luck with her cooking. She should visit this site herself.

"Never criticize a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. Then, criticize him all you want since you're a mile away and you have HIS shoes."
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26 09 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job on the site, best of luck to her with it! Very Happy

I have to agree with Jimmie though on the marinade.

Ribs in the oven are ok, but buy your gal a WSM or ProQ- you won't regret it! Cool
Mr. Mojo Risin'
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26 09 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmieOhio wrote:
SauceBoss,

Your girlfriend has a nice website. However, she makes a statement that really goes against food safety. I, myself, thought it was okay, but I have recently found out it is not.

The statement is about the acceptability of re-using marinade as long as you boil it first.

My GF and I were watching "The Next Food Network Star" and one of the contestants stated the same thing during a food presentation. Tyler Florence objected forcefully. My GF, who is a clinical microbiologist, agreed. She told me that many bacteria, such as E Coli, are not necessarily killed off by boiling. I missed most of the technical jargon she said, but it's not worth the risk. Marinade is cheap.

I went to culinary school and currently work with a couple of very good chefs and a GM who won many awards back in the day when she was a chef and owned her own restaurant, and have never heard this. What about when you braise something? Usually, the braising liquid, which had raw meat in it at one point, is reduced down to make the sauce. Chicken stock starts out with raw chicken bones.

I'm with BBQMAN, get her a smoker. Then get her on here and talking to Mrs.K.A.M. Very Happy You'll be eating good in no time.

I don't make mistakes...just understandable bad choices.

Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn Smoker
ProBBQ Excel 20
JimmieOhio
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27 09 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mojo Risin' wrote:
I went to culinary school and currently work with a couple of very good chefs and a GM who won many awards back in the day when she was a chef and owned her own restaurant, and have never heard this. What about when you braise something? Usually, the braising liquid, which had raw meat in it at one point, is reduced down to make the sauce. Chicken stock starts out with raw chicken bones.

I knew this would open a can of worms. Tapeworms or ringworms even. Wink

My GF works with infectious disease doctors at a teaching hospital with a heck of a lot of letters after their names, so I tend to respect what she knows. She also does the teaching to upcoming doctors as part of their residency. This includes bacteriology (bacteria), virology (viruses), hematology (blood), and parasitology (parasites). Well, after talking to her about this, here's what I have to say:

1) Your example of braising means that the same marinade that initially contacted the meat STILL contacted the meat. This is not "cross-contamination". Cross-contamination is when the marinade that previously contacted the meat and potentially contains food-borne bacteria or parasites LATER contacts this or some other meat, before or after it is cooked to a safe temperature.

2) Most who would use the same marinade later as a sauce would set some aside for the sauce, not boil and re-use it after it contacted raw meat. I would hope the food pros would know this...

3) Boiling would probably kill the bacteria, but why risk it? Is marinade that awfully expensive?

Now here's what SHE has to say:

1) E Coli outbreaks occur from two common scenarios.

First, kids at the state fair pet animals at the petting zoo. Then, without washing their hands, Mom or Dad buys them an ice cream cone that they lick up, along with the goodies from Bambi's poop.

Second, meat at a major food processing plant comes in contact with animal excrement tainted by e. coli and this is passed along to the consumer. Big plants are more prone because they grind meat. It is unlikely that e. coli would taint a steak or prime rib since those are butchered later. The grinding process tends to contaminate the grinders and is tough to get rid of. Even if e. coli was on the outside of a steak, the high grill temperatures would probably kill it off. This temp is higher than the boiling point of water.

2) E. coli consists of a capsule (cell wall) which contains a toxin called 0157:H7. Breaking down this cell wall to kill the toxin requires a higher temp than you might think.

3) There are three major food-borne problems. E. coli is a bacteria and has already been discussed. It tends to be a problem mostly in beef. Salmonella (another bacteria) is more easily killed off with lower temperatures and tends to be a problem with chicken. Trychinosis is a parasite and tends to be a problem with pork. With modern food processing, this is encountered much more rarely than the others.

We are all adults and can be as careless as we wish. We just need to live with our choices. Perhaps my girlfriend will get to analyze your stool sample if you can stop long enough in between running to the toilet. Laughing

People survive plane crashes. It is illogical to assume that this means plane crashes are safe.

BOTTOM LINE: Why risk it?

"Never criticize a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. Then, criticize him all you want since you're a mile away and you have HIS shoes."
Mr. Mojo Risin'
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27 09 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmieOhio wrote:

1) Your example of braising means that the same marinade that initially contacted the meat STILL contacted the meat. This is not "cross-contamination". Cross-contamination is when the marinade that previously contacted the meat and potentially contains food-borne bacteria or parasites LATER contacts this or some other meat, before or after it is cooked to a safe temperature.

But if you're boiling the liquid whats the difference? I just don't see how the meat would be safe after cooking but the boiled marinade wouldn't, when it was the meat that contaminated the marinade in the first place. If you put the boiled marinade on some other meat, then yeah, there is a risk for cross contamination.

JimmieOhio wrote:

2) Most who would use the same marinade later as a sauce would set some aside for the sauce, not boil and re-use it after it contacted raw meat. I would hope the food pros would know this...

True, but obviously not always the case. And sometimes you only have so much that you're working with and you have to reuse the marinade. I've been in that situation before.

JimmieOhio wrote:

Now here's what SHE has to say:

2) E. coli consists of a capsule (cell wall) which contains a toxin called 0157:H7. Breaking down this cell wall to kill the toxin requires a higher temp than you might think.

I forgot about the toxins. Embarassed

JimmieOhio wrote:

We are all adults and can be as careless as we wish. We just need to live with our choices. Perhaps my girlfriend will get to analyze your stool sample if you can stop long enough in between running to the toilet. Laughing

Haha, wtf? Laughing

JimmieOhio wrote:

People survive plane crashes. It is illogical to assume that this means plane crashes are safe.

BOTTOM LINE: Why risk it?

Anything and everything in this world can kill you or make you sick. Why risk anything. You make a valid point, but if you use proper sanitation, the risk is low. Next time the health inspector comes in, i'll see what they have to say about reusing marinade.

I don't make mistakes...just understandable bad choices.

Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn Smoker
ProBBQ Excel 20
JimmieOhio
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27 09 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mojo Risin' wrote:
Next time the health inspector comes in, i'll see what they have to say about reusing marinade.

Please find out and post the qualifications and formal microbiological training of the health inspector after the next time he comes in. Personally, I trust and respect the knowledge of the guys (and gals) with all of those letters after their name, not the sheriff's brother-in-law.

SauceBoss
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28 09 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmie

im with you on it. Shes knew at this and to be honest, she actually got the recipe from a magazine and it tells her to do that (boil the marinade). All through college I worked in restaurants and had to take several classes on food prep and safety and when she told me she did that i almost threw up. when she told me she was boiling the marinade, I figured it was extra, not the same one she used.

Regardless, we discussed it and she will no longer being doing that or anything else that will cause cross contamination.

Next on her list is Beer can chicken Smile
JimmieOhio
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28 09 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SauceBoss wrote:
Jimmie

im with you on it.

SauceBoss, at the end of the day, you probably wouldn't get sick on the re-used sauce. My GF, the microbiologist, and I always agree on two things:

1) Why risk it to save a couple of bucks? Set some marinade aside BEFORE it touches the meat.

2) Most of us are strong adults. Only three kinds of people get the vast majority of food-borne illnesses: babies, old people, or immunocompromised (cancer / HIV patients). These demographics all have one thing in common: "less than the best" immune systems. They just can't fight off these kinds of things...

SauceBoss
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29 09 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again to all for their feedback as it is very much appreciated. She has learned a lot and in my opinion it was something good to bring up on the forums due to the conflicting views.

In my eyes, once its touched the meat (RAW), its not gonna be used later. that goes for sauces, spices, cutting boards, etc.

Thanks again and keep up on her site as she has more to come Smile
JimmieOhio
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29 09 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SauceBoss wrote:

I vote that she opens an account on the Ring as "Ms. SauceBoss" or even "SauceBoss' Boss" Wink Why should you have all the fun?

It works for the K.A.M.'s...

JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29 09 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only have to have food poisoning ONCE to be convinced that it's better to be safe than sorry. I just make 2 batches.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29 09 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmieOhio wrote:
SauceBoss wrote:

I vote that she opens an account on the Ring as "Ms. SauceBoss" or even "SauceBoss' Boss" Wink Why should you have all the fun?

It works for the K.A.M.'s...

Thats how it starts first she learns the ropes with the cookers then you are taking a back seat Laughing Seriously I love to cook with Mrs.K.A.M. and I am glad more wifes and girlfriends are taking interest in BBQ and smoking. Of course we will win a lot less throw downs if more women join Shocked it only took two women to wipe out some of the best cooks on the ring Laughing

Hybrid Cooker
SauceBoss
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30 09 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didnt even think about that. She is always wanting nice recipes and what not and to think that if she would have come to the ring versus a girl magazine she wouldnt have boiled used marinade Smile

keep your eyes peeled Smile
USDA Monkey
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30 09 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, make that one your wife. She's a keeper!!!
wheels61

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31 09 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, thanks for sharing.
SauceBoss
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31 09 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahahahaha soon enough!!!

TGIF!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Grilling All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: