FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Knife sharpener Question. Electric vs Manual?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Ron
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19 09 11:24 am    Post subject: Knife sharpener Question. Electric vs Manual? Reply with quote

The wife got me some Wusthof knives as a gift and now it is time to sharpen them. What is a good quality sharpener I can get for them? I would love an electric sharpener and wonder if anyone has experience with those and notice a difference with a manual sharpener.

Any feedback is appreciated.
www.bigronswebsite.com

(Find Big Ron's Rub on Facebook)
Big Ron's Custom Reverse Flow Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQxbfOx_MOE
westmichguy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19 09 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a electric sharpener that I received for Xmas one year(around $ 250), I hated it. (sits in the basement now) It always seemed to put the wrong edge on my fillet knives. Ended up trying a manual one at a local hunting store, bought it and have used it ever since.

They run about $6.99 and it makes all my knives cut like butter. Opinions vary, but this is my preference.
turkeywire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19 09 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a v-sharp from warthog (http://v-sharp.com/products_cart.php) that I like pretty well. Paid $75.00 for it with steels at a local gun show. I think I still have the guy's card, He is in Pearland, if you are interested.
Big Ron
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19 09 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input gentlemen, I want to see some more feedback that I can research. I have a small manual one, but I am not sure if it may damage the blades on very expensive knives. That v-sharp looks very hi-tech. I am close to Pearland so I may take you up on the offer.
Thanks
www.bigronswebsite.com

em21701

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19 09 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be surprised how cheap it is to get them professionally sharpened. They can set you up with a steel to touch them up between sharpenings as well.
FairWeatherSmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19 09 10:21 pm    Post subject: Razor Sharp Reply with quote

IF you know how and have the time, this will make your knives as sharp as a razor blade.

http://www.knifeart.com/arwet.html
h00kemh0rns
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19 09 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO: For the European knives (Wusthof, Henckel, etc.) sharpening by hand is okay. However, if you have Japanese knives (Shun, Global, etc.) I highly recommend buying an electric sharpening due to the angle you are required to obtain.

If you have a Sur La Table near by you can have your knives sharpened for $1 per inch.

http://www.bigsteelkeg.com/

My Keg can kick your Egg's ceramic @$$
samson
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19 09 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

h00kemh0rns wrote:

If you have a Sur La Table near by you can have your knives sharpened for $1 per inch.

In the past Sur La Table would also run a special once or twice a year to sharpen a knife or two for free. Haven't seen that offer for a while but may be something to look out for.
MaryB
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20 09 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this http://www.edgeproinc.com/ adjustable angle and it does a great job. Gets the knife to the scary sharp stage.
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20 09 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never recommend using one of those "pull through" type manual sharpeners...the kind with pieces of metal/stone that form a V shape where you pull the blade through. Those things shave way too much metal from the blade and will quickly ruin your knife. If you have cruddy knives that you don't care about, fine...if you have high quality & expensive knives, don't use these.

If you know how to use a stone, then just get one to keep an edge on your knife. If you don't know how to properly use a stone, then stay away unless you're willing to learn the right way to use it.

For electric units I'd suggest the Chef's Choice commercial unit. The second stage can be used to tough up the blade w/o taking away much metal.

The best thing you can do to keep your knives sharp is to use a steel before every single use. Most times when you think your knife blade is "dull" it's really not...it's just out of alignment. A steel will keep the edge in line and extend the sharpness of the blade.

Paying a commercial knife sharpener is a great idea. They will sharpen your blades to better than new quality. If you use a steel, you'll likely only need to "sharpen" the knives once a year. I know commercial restaurant kitchens who have their knives professionally sharpened 2-3 times per year...and these folks use their knives all day, every day. A proper sharpening and a good steel are all that's needed to keep your knives in top working order.
billr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20 09 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Lansky's sharpener. I like that you can dial the edge in at 20 degrees, or 25 degrees, or whatever. It can take some time, at least initially, but that come out absolutely razor sharp. As long as you know that you're always using the 20degree angle, for example, putting an edge on from there on out is very quick and easy because you don't have to remove much metal to get a super fine point.
Big Ron
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20 09 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic info thanks to all! I think I will have them professionally sharpened while I research and learn how to do it myself. I had no idea all that was involved in maintaining a good clean edge. I am looking forward to learning how to do it myself!
www.bigronswebsite.com

roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20 09 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a quality oil stone and a good sword to do the job.. My knives are always sharp enough to shave with...
LIAR #100
stringbender128
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21 09 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the Wusthof classic series for many years now, and with proper care (hand washing) they should keep a good hone by useing just a sharpening steel.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21 09 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quality knives IMHO should always be hand sharpened.

Why?

Because electric sharpeners heat the blade, and the steel loses it's temper.

YMMV......................
smokinpipe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21 09 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

listen to turkeywire i got one at a gun show and its the best sharpenre i ever had
kaizen-bbqer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21 09 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pit Boss is spot on. I am a chef and use my knives all day long. You want to know how many times I use a stone on them? Once a year! For my German knives I use a Norton Oil Tri Stone. For my Japanese knives I use 3 water stones. After 15 years my set of knives at home have never been sharpened.

The key is to steel often. For me what works best is a Diamond Steel. A few other tips to keep your knives in top shape; use a plastic or wood cutting board and store your knives properly by protecting the blades in a knife block or blade guards.

If you donít want to do it yourself then get them done by a pro. If you want to have an electrical sharpener then Chefs Choice is a good one.

This is the Diamond Steel I use...

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=32993&cat=1,43072,43079&ap=1

Norton Tri Stone...

http://www.nortonstones.com/Data/Element/Node/ProductLine/Product_line_edit.asp?ele_ch_id=L0000000000000005645
coyote
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21 09 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for storage don't allow them to come into contact with other items. Proper storage is just as important as using a steel.

Gold Rush Smokers
Lang 60/D
Weber Performer
KCBS CBJ
King Coal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21 09 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had Wustof classics for many years. A steel should keep your edge in good shape for at least several months, and up to a year if you're not using them daily. When you do have to put on a new edge, I would use a hand sharpener of some type. I have a 3-stone Arkansas stone system and it works very well. I was once told that some electric sharpeners can actually get your blade so hot that it alters the heat-treating of the high-carbon steel, but don't know that from first hand knowledge because I've always done it by hand.
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21 09 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, Send them to me or Craig. We both sharpen knives at comps. Craig is a Mesermeister dealer and does it at home and at comps. $1.00 an inch.

If you want your own rig I reccomend the "Edge Pro" It's the best there is.

Don't use a steel unless it is a butchers steel, one with no serrations on the surface, they will ruin the edge. Diamonds are the worst. A smooth ceramic is best. We sell those as well.

http://www.edgeproinc.com/

GIANT BBQ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: